Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Electric Drills, Cordless & Otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Even their less expensive sibling, the Black & Decker 20V line, has served me well. (I probably have somewhere between five and ten tools using the system from saws, to vacuums, to drills, to blowers and edgers.)
    I agree, I made an impulse purchase on the combo with the drill and impact driver:
    https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...web_2529040011
    and they exceeded expectations. I just built a small deck project and expected to kill the impact driver and it is still just fine. Then I bought these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and a couple of these:
    and one of these:
    and one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (it is handy, but kinda lame...)
    and a sabre saw that I can't find a link for.

One thing I liked is once you got started they will sell bare tools since you already have the battery.

This is not like the guy with the High Point saying it is just the same, when I was doing the deck (shooting 3" #8s through 2x6s) my buddy came over with his Dewalt and it kicked ass. It was faster and just all around better. But I had expected my B&D cheapy to have crapped out and it is still hanging in there.

Site Supporter
    Dewalt, but it is a Chevy/Ford debate.

20V, more amps, more time on the battery and will run the heavier tools.

My crews are all yellow. I still got a boat full of 18v with marginal batteries in my garage. I’ll need to get some adapters soon.

I’ve had good luck with Ryobi in my house. If I had to choose between a drill and impact driver, I’d get the impact driver. Such an awesome tool.
    #RESIST

If you’re choosing either drill or impact driver, choose drill.

If you’re choosing between drill or impact driver, you’re wrong. Get both.

If you don’t get the hammer drill and just get the drill, you’ll regret it.

I went orange with Ridgid last year as I replace old Craftsman tools that die. As a hobby or homeowner tool, you'll probably be fine with any of the manufactures already mentioned. I have a 15 year year-old Craftsman 19.2V trim saw that has be used for breaking down sheet goods, cutting laminate flooring, and far more tasks that I shouldn't have asked it to do. It came with a reciprocating saw in a set and both are still running strong. The Craftsman drill was older, but the chuck in the drill finally gave out. However, the newer Craftsman finish nailer died gloriously (parts spewing out as the trigger was pulled) and with an aging battery fleet, I switched.

Next week will be the right time to buy, regardless of your choice. More tools are better; there is a right tool and a right-now tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post

20V, more amps, more time on the battery and will run the heavier tools.
    I think it’s already been mentioned, but just in case anyone doesn’t already know this...

When comparing any of the current crop of tools, 18 and 20v are the same thing. Dewalt and others that chose to go with 20v “max” are strictly making a marketing move, hoping that consumers want MOAR, but the real world power is exactly the same.

Which isn’t to say that any of the 20v-marketed tools are bad, it’s just to be clear that they aren’t better strictly based on the number stamped on the side.

My one year old Milwaukee battery hammer drill would not reverse itself. Customer Service was outstanding printed shipping tag that they emailed me, phone Rep told me they have 5, days once they receive it fix or replace. FedEx had it back to me repaired exactly one week from when I sent it out. Repair ticket said they replaced trigger control mechanism, that was almost two years ago no problem since. Im not loyal to anyone brand but this experience has impressed me enough I will consider them again in the future.
    -My 15 year old Milwaukee Hatchet (reciprocating saw) that was well used just died. I replaced it with a Skilsaw reciprocating saw with BUZZKILL vibration reduction, and it really does reduce the vibration when cutting.
    Last edited by SD; 11-13-2018 at 10:59 AM.

I had a DeWalt that lasted over 20 years. It was the batteries that finally died. The drill was still fine. Since that purchase the newer lithium batteries had come out so I gave the drill away and went shopping. Local big box had a demo set of M12 drill/hammer drill combo for dirt cheap. Bought it.

My recommendation, determine the size you want then go and get the best deal between DeWalt and Milwaukee. Honestly either is fine for home usage.

I did find out that the hammer drill works like a charm to get the rotor bolts off a Honda wheel.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

I am contractor who's crews work with these tools day in and day out. When we first started we used all Dewalt, matching our sister corporation which is a manufacturing facility. Over the last two years I have been replacing our Dewalt with Milwaukee M18. Milwaukee wins hands down on reliability, and function.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think it’s already been mentioned, but just in case anyone doesn’t already know this...

When comparing any of the current crop of tools, 18 and 20v are the same thing. Dewalt and others that chose to go with 20v “max” are strictly making a marketing move, hoping that consumers want MOAR, but the real world power is exactly the same.

Which isn’t to say that any of the 20v-marketed tools are bad, it’s just to be clear that they aren’t better strictly based on the number stamped on the side.
    Critical knowledge. Thank you.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List