Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Electric Drills, Cordless & Otherwise

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    That just allows for more run time, which I've never looked into too closely. I don't go out of my way to find higher amp batteries. This should cover all your needs, unless you need to upgrade to a hammer drill (not the same as an impact driver, for those unaware).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-2-To...iABEgI7GfD_BwE

I was a Dewalt guy and the switched to Milwaukee. I’m generally happy with the tools but (a) they almost never go on sale and (b) they have some gaps in their line.

If I were starting over and only worried about home use, I’d go with Ridgid. Better than Ryobi but less exepsive than red or yellow.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I run the M12 drill/impact combo as my first line of rotating electrics. Car stuff, house stuff.

I also have a Craftsman branded version of the basic DeWalt 3/8 corded drill that I bought in 1998. I replaced the cord at some point this spring because the old one was deteriorated and cracked. Still going strong. Battery technology comes and goes, obsoleting the tools that depend on them. The corded tool carries on.

I've learned to avoid anything with a "soft touch" overmold. The soft stuff always turns to disgusting, sticky goo long before the tool would otherwise have anything wrong with it.

A buddy who does a lot of car and house work has had good luck with stuff from this site: https://bigskytool.com/hitachi-reconditioned-tools.html
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'm leaning this direction. Any thoughts on 1.3ah, 1.5ah, 2ah vs. 4ah batteries?

Okie John

2.0 amp hr. Prob best weight to longevity ratio- that from my finish carpenter friend. I bought Dewalt driver/ drill with 2.0 a/h. Not heavy. Powerful. 18v.

Site Supporter
    I don't think you can go wrong with either Milwaukee or Dewalt. I personally voted red.

Something to consider after you have made your choice, you can find just the tool without chargers or batteries on Amazon for good prices. Most of the tool money is in the batteries. This will allow you to add an impact wrench (very handy) to your arsenal and use the batteries from your original purchase.

I have and am glad I went with Dewalt - mostly because they are on almost any job site I'm at with other contractors, which means there is always another battery I can bum if needed. They do go on sale and are quite robust.

I think you'd be well served by any of the major brands - dewalt, makita, milwaukee or rigid. Although makita and milwaukee do tend to be pricey.

And go with highest volt available, you'll be glad you did.
    Last edited by miller_man; 11-12-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

I spent the last 5 years doing commercial steel framing and I framed houses before that. I always used Dewalt cordless tools. 20v max and 18v nicd way back when. Most pros use either Dewalt or Millwaukee stuff around here.

My recommendation, if you want to spend the money, is a Dewalt 2 tool combo kit that comes with the brushless impact driver and drill. If you ever plan on drilling through concrete slab or block wall, (like anchoring a gun safe) then you might want to look at one of the cordless hammer drill kits. There's a few different 2 tool kit options and they range from 150 to 300 dollars.

Site Supporter
    I'll second the kit with a drill and driver. I use my driver way more than I use my drill. I've had great luck with Bosch tools, corded and cordless. And DeWalt. And Milwaukee. So I would say I've gotten good tools by paying double what the cheap ones cost, without the annoyances of breaking the cheap tools and then buying the good ones. I use my tools way more than an average homeowner, but less than a professional, and have never regretted paying more for better quality tools.

For years, the family biz used Dewalt or Milwaukee tools for cordless options, with occasional experiments with Mikita. They all ran great and were worth it if you got them at a good price. But frankly, even in commercial work the top end tools are built down to a price point (the only thing cheaper than a contractor is two contractors). And when it got so we were replacing 1-2 cordless tools per year regardless of brand, we honestly just switched over to Ryobi, because I could run over to HD and buy a new drill, circ saw, and sawzall for the cost of one Milwaukee drill, when one of my guys left the truck open and everything got stolen or when one finally gave up the ghost from being dropped one too many times, etc.

So, when I finally needed a drill for my house, I bought an 18v Ryobi drill and circular saw combo. Because frankly, unless you're running it every single day, chances are good you aren't going to wear it out. I've never worn a Ryobi motor out (or for that matter any drill motor), it's always the chuck that goes out first, which is the same for any keyless chuck system in existence (same story for the sawzalls that don't use an allen key chuck).

All of that said, someday when I grow up and have more money than I know what to do with (or I'm building a house from scratch), I'll spend the cash and buy Bosch or Hitachi. Which as near as I can tell really are the best there is in cordless tools.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-12-2018 at 09:14 PM.

User Tag List