Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Electric Drills, Cordless & Otherwise

RFI: Electric Drills, Cordless & Otherwise

I'm moving into a house after a decade of living in apartments, so I'm in the market for an electric drill, probably cordless. Not looking at commercial use but open to commercial grade tools, so "buy once cry once" is in effect.

What do I need to know?

thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I'm a big fan of the Dewalt 20V line. It's a tough and powerful drill that holds a charge a very long time. I've done a lot of volunteer work on building projects with other guys, and that Dewalt always outlasted all the other brands I saw.

It's not cheap, but I'm still glad I bought this one.

Additionally, they have a line of other products that use the same battery. If you have any bushes or brush around your house, watch out for the Dewalt 20V reciprocating saw. It actually makes brush clearing, well, not FUN, but certainly not a pain in the rear.
    Ordinary guy

Student
    Don't have anything bad to say about the M18 line from Milwaukee. Used them quite a bit at my last job and my current job, so I ended up buying a couple of my own. They're sold at Home Depot, which I almost never buy tools from.

Decent tools get sold all the time on craigslist and that's where I was able to find one of the older Dewalt impacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Dewalt 20V line. It's a tough and powerful drill that holds a charge a very long time. I've done a lot of volunteer work on building projects with other guys, and that Dewalt always outlasted all the other brands I saw.

Additionally, they have a line of other products that use the same battery. If you have any bushes or brush around your house, watch out for the Dewalt 20V reciprocating saw. It actually makes brush clearing, well, not FUN, but certainly not a pain in the rear.

Even their less expensive sibling, the Black & Decker 20V line, has served me well. (I probably have somewhere between five and ten tools using the system from saws, to vacuums, to drills, to blowers and edgers.)

I've had great luck with B&D and in the 15 years or so I've been using many of their items, the couple times I had to call them on warranty matters they handled the issue immediately.
    Last edited by blues; 11-12-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

For inside the house, the milwaukee m12 line has been plenty to redo a couple of kitchens. The impact wrench is probably my most used power tool. For outside (framing, decks, etc.) The M18 stuff mentioned above is solid. Though, sometimes, you still need something with a cord.

Yes, I’m another Milwaukee M12 fan. The only M18 tools I have are the angle grinder and leaf blower. M12 is plenty powerful, and nice and compact. Very high quality tools.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I'm a contractor and I buy Dewalt exclusively. Partially for compatibility among my whole fleet, but it's also a damn good tool. Other pros swear Milwaukee is just as good. Ford/Chevy. I'm sure either will last your average homeowner, even a weekend warrior, a long time.

I bought my dad a Makita cordless drill for Father's day way back when cordless drills first came out in the 1980s. I had to go to a tool store, it wasn't very powerful, and it was expensive, but I wanted to get him a nice gift.

After that, I bought Makitas until the last one I had. The charger crapped out way too soon, or maybe it was the batteries. At any rate, I wound up with an expensive pile of useless blue plastic and swore off Makita.

I then bought a DeWalt and have been happy with it. I think it's a 20V. I can also use the battery pack in a string trimmer, which is really nice.

Both my daughters bought houses this summer. Both of their husbands have birthdays in July. So I bought them each identical DeWalt 20V drills to get them started on their tool collection. They were very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post

Ditto to all this... the recip saw with a pruning blade is a dream if you anything more than grass in your yard. Also, I think they’ve recently dropped a bit in price; the brushless with battery, charger and bag can be had for $99.

Amazon link so @Tom_Jones doesn’t chide me...
    Last edited by Jac; 11-12-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    I'm a contractor and I buy Dewalt exclusively. Partially for compatibility among my whole fleet, but it's also a damn good tool. Other pros swear Milwaukee is just as good. Ford/Chevy. I'm sure either will last your average homeowner, even a weekend warrior, a long time.
    I'm leaning this direction. Any thoughts on 1.3ah, 1.5ah, 2ah vs. 4ah batteries?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List