Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claws versus integral wedges in AIWB grip tucking

Claws versus integral wedges in AIWB grip tucking

I wanted to share some observations in regards to the two primary methods utilized in AIWB holster making which help tuck the grip of a firearm in order to aid in effectively concealing it: Claws and integral wedges.

Claws

Claws are usually additional hardware components added to the holster after forming which help to rotate the grip inwards by pressing against the user’s belt. Given the various available designs, the end user can pick and choose different attachments to tailor the amount of tuck to their preference. The downsides are that the extra hardware adds some bulk to the holster and there’s the potential for parts breakage or deformity. I have noticed a tendency for claws or their attachment “wings” to become bent from use over time, which can lessen their effectiveness in tucking the grip in.

Integral Wedges

Holsters with integral wedges are formed in such a way that the shape of the holster itself yaws the grip in towards the wearer. With no additional hardware there’s less worry about parts failure, however, the user doesn’t have as much input on the amount of tuck. In order to achieve more or less grip tucking, the wearer has to loosen or tighten their belt accordingly. A belt that’s too loose can lead to pants not staying up, especially if they’re larger than what the individual would normally wear so as to accommodate the firearm. A belt that’s too tight can cause discomfort either from squeezing the wearer or rotating the holster and firearm so much that they dig in.

In the end, both systems have their pros and cons. Hopefully this is additional, helpful information to reference when choosing a holster.

I welcome feedback and input on this topic.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I think the claw/wedge discussion is highly dependent on body shape among other factors. For me claws work much better than any wedge ever has, as the belt-line grabbing against the claw gives the gun a far better buttuck than I get with a wedge. I’ve had friends who are uhhhhh robustly shaped have a lot more success with wedges than claws. I definitely don’t think there’s a one size fits all solution for that one.

I’m starting to leand toward Tenicor with the geometry just molded right in.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I think the claw/wedge discussion is highly dependent on body shape among other factors. For me claws work much better than any wedge ever has, as the belt-line grabbing against the claw gives the gun a far better buttuck than I get with a wedge. I’ve had friends who are uhhhhh robustly shaped have a lot more success with wedges than claws. I definitely don’t think there’s a one size fits all solution for that one.
    Concur with these points.

I'm 5'7" and weigh 185. I benefit from the claw & wedge combo---the claw holds things tight laterally, while the wedge counteracts the leverage my gut exerts just above the belt.

I get a somewhat faster draw with a wedge (JMCK George), but much better concealment with a claw (JMCK Wing Claw 2.5). With my 32" waist, the wedge prints as an odd bump along my waistline, and the end of the grip can print as well. With the Wing Claw 2.5, the gun disappears and there's no bulge. The only thing that sometimes prints is the rear edge of the slide.

As far as comfort goes, I'll give the edge to the Wing Claw 2.5. It moves a bit more easily with my body, and doesn't require a super tight belt. I have now logged at least 50 miles of rugged backcountry hiking while carrying my P-07 in a JMCK Wing Claw 2.5. This was very surprising to me, because I had assumed that OWB was the only way to carry while hiking with a ruck.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-12-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Until just recently, I'd had neither experience with a wedge or a claw or both. After an exchange with one of the notable holster makers on this forum, I was advised to go with the wedge only. I do have a bit of spare tire, and so far it's helped. Still no idea if a claw would have any additional comfort or concealability.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I get a somewhat faster draw with a wedge (JMCK George), but much better concealment with a claw (JMCK Wing Claw 2.5). With my 32" waist, the wedge prints as an odd bump along my waistline, and the end of the grip can print as well. With the Wing Claw 2.5, the gun disappears and there's no bulge. The only thing that sometimes prints is the rear edge of the slide.

As far as comfort goes, I'll give the edge to the Wing Claw 2.5. It moves a bit more easily with my body, and doesn't require a super tight belt. I have now logged at least 50 miles of rugged backcountry hiking while carrying my P-07 in a JMCK Wing Claw 2.5. This was very surprising to me, because I had assumed that OWB was the only way to carry while hiking with a ruck.

@Clusterfrack

Did you wear a sweat wicking undershirt under your cover garment? I'm guessing you didn't just have a wicking tee over a holster with skin contact. (BTW, I have and love the "George" as well. I have a 19 size I generally use for the 26...and normally use a 17 sized holster for the 19.)

Good to know that you found AIWB a viable solution for your hikes.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @Clusterfrack

Did you wear a sweat wicking undershirt under your cover garment? I'm guessing you didn't just have a wicking tee over a holster with skin contact. (BTW, I have and love the "George" as well. I have a 19 size I generally use for the 26...and normally use a 17 sized holster for the 19.)

Good to know that you found AIWB a viable solution for your hikes.
    I did yesterday when we hiked part of the PCT in southern WA, but it was pretty cold. Typically I just use a t-shirt or a snap/button short sleeve shirt, and let the gun and holster get sweaty. Sure I have to clean some rust off sometimes (usually the sights), but who cares? My junk carry pillow really helps make it not too hot and sweaty because it breathes, and keeps the holster away from my skin a bit.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

No #GetBoth ?
    #RESIST

Claws versus integral wedges in AIWB grip tucking

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Sure I have to clean some rust off sometimes.

Anytime I’m hiking, whether it’s short stuff around AZ, or hiking 14ers in CO, I’m carrying appendix, typically without an undershirt.

I’ve rusted through the melonite on my 19, pitting my slide some. But it cleans off well enough. Currently my 19 has the grip stippled but I still don’t wear an undershirt. Just not a fan.

For the sake of the discussion, when I hiked Mt. Elbert it was with a Dale Fricke with his wedge addition for a 34. Not super comfy. Since that holster, everything I carry is winged. Either a Raven wing, or the Mod wing. Currently carrying the 19 in a JMCK for a 17 and TLR-7 with a wing, which is my new favorite holster.

For me, 32 waist, the wing is the only way to go, both for comfort, and concealment.
    Last edited by BK14; 11-12-2018 at 04:58 PM.

User Tag List