Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Small dots don't seem to work for me. Any red dots that have an etched reticle?

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I prefer a simple reticle to the common tactical versions now common. Cool thing is that Leupold can change out the reticle for $120, this would be the one I'd roll with;

Attachment 32331

BTW, I also tried two ACOGs and had the same issue with both due to my crappy eyesight: the lack of a diopter (eyepiece) adjustment left the chevrons blurry. I also noticed the fiber optic would glow in the dark due to the tritium.

Shitty eyesight sucks.
    I've looked through and shot with ACOGs before and they always look clear and crisp to me so I guess I'm lucky. I vaguely recall someone saying guys in the military cover the fiber in tape sometimes but I assumed that was because in the desert sun the thing gets too bright.

The Primary Arms Cyclops is geared to your problem.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-1x-co...-reticle-black

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There are also some "muzzle loader" scopes around. Small and light, inexpensive, true 1x, for seasons where rules don't permit magnified optics, but they provide an aiming solution with the target and crosshairs both in focus. Not aware of any that are illuminated, but I haven't done a deep dive looking for that.

Wish someone would come up with an etched reticle version of the Aimpoint. And then one for pistols.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rimfi...light-2-5x20mm

https://danieldefense.com/components...uble-ring.html

The DD mount arrives tomorrow and I'll be hitting the range this weekend. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this set up will work for this old guy as envisioned.
    So I just installed this mount and scope, and it seems perfect for my needs. A few initial observations;

• Scope and mount combined weigh 12.2 ounces
    • The clarity of the Leupold scope is excellent
    • Adjustable eyepiece allows for super-sharp reticle focus
    • Easy two-eyes-open use
    • The generous eye relief and forgiving eye box allow fast target acquisition
    • View through scope is more than sharp enough for defensive use down to arm's length range
    • In total dark, use of a WML renders the reticle sharp and easy to use
    • Due to low covered turrets and no protruding nuts or levers on the mount, the entire rig is really slick and snag-free

I'll post some photos tomorrow, the set up looks like it belongs on an AR. Range report will come soon.

So I just installed this mount and scope, and it seems perfect for my needs. A few initial observations;

• Scope and mount combined weigh 12.2 ounces
    • The clarity of the Leupold scope is excellent
    • Adjustable eyepiece allows for super-sharp reticle focus
    • Easy two-eyes-open use
    • The generous eye relief and forgiving eye box allow fast target acquisition
    • View through scope is more than sharp enough for defensive use down to arm's length range
    • In total dark, use of a WML renders the reticle sharp and easy to use
    • Due to low covered turrets and no protruding nuts or levers on the mount, the entire rig is really slick and snag-free

I'll post some photos tomorrow, the set up looks like it belongs on an AR. Range report will come soon.
    If they had a dot in the center of that I could turn on I would totally be interested.

I hear very very good things about the Steiner P4Xi which is another distinct possibility honestly. Especially if I can get a deal on it somewhere on black friday. I like that the TA44 ACOG is only 5oz but it also only has a 2 inches of eye relief. The Steiner is heavier at 17 oz but it has 3.5-4 inches of eye relief which is far more forgiving and the internet goes ape over that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I hear very very good things about the Steiner P4Xi...
    Yes, it seems an excellent scope for the price. Another to take a look at is the Leupold VX-R Patrol, which weighs less than 12 ounces (I had one and liked it quite a bit).

Weight is an overwhelming concern for me. At one time I had a 16-inch match barrel AR that weighed well north of 10 pounds. While it was a tack-driver (better than 1 MOA), I realized that a "10-pound carbine" is a bit of an oxymoron. For pure precision, I have a custom bolt action built on a Remington 700 action in .308 that holds in the .3 to .4 MOA range. That fact that I shoot it almost exclusively prone off a bipod and rear bag makes its 14+ pounds of mass a non-issue.

My current AR carbine is a BCM complete rifle with their 16-inch ELW BFH upper. The lower includes a Geissele SSA trigger and an A5 RE assembly using the A5H2 buffer. With several loads it can hold better than 1.5 MOA. With the new optic package, the rifle weighs 7-pounds/2-ounces unloaded, which is about as heavy as I want it to get.

Definitely not a mainstream approach, but as-configured it packs a lot of utility/capability in a reasonably compact and lightweight package.

A couple of photos of the new glass set up. The more time I spend looking through this scope, the more I'm liking it. As mentioned previously, the view is sharp and clear (as is the reticle thanks to the adjustable eyepiece). Throwing the rifle up to the shoulder with both eyes open, this optic is also very forgiving with eye relief (listed at 4.9 inches) compared to scopes I've used in the past. This allowed me to set the stock LOP to where I like it (nose near charging handle) and still center the scope turrets in the mount. Another observation is that the ocular blocks very little of the view with nothing else (like turrets or rings) visible.

I'm liking the DD scope mount too - it's nicely sculptured and very streamlined with nothing protruding. The "Rock 'n Lock" mounting means that other than the rings, the mount is a monolithic piece. As a rudimentary check, I bored-sighted the scope and as far as I can see there will be no major windage adjustment required (the scope has 140 MOA of adjustment).

We've just got our first winter storm of the season last night and there's probably a foot of snow on the ground at the range, but I'll be making the trek there this weekend to get it sighted in.

Name:  scope-1.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  scope-2.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  82.3 KB

NH Shooter, you got me interested in this scope now!

If you get a chance, could you measure the distance between the center of the reticle and the point of one of the posts? It doesn’t look like Leupold has subtention info on that reticle.

Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    If you get a chance, could you measure the distance between the center of the reticle and the point of one of the posts?
    I estimated that distance on the Wide Duplex as about 10 MOA, so it's not very useful;

Name:  Wide_Duplex_Ret_380.png
Views: 395
Size:  60.1 KB

Out of the 16-inch 1:7 barrel, the Speer 75 grain Gold Dot will have the following trajectory with a 150 yard zero;

25: -1.3"
    50: -0.2"
    75: +0.4"
    100: +0.7"
    150: 0.0"
    200: -2.5"
    250: -6.9"
    300: -13.5"
    400: -34.1"
    500: -66.8"

In the 25 to 200 yard envelope it's essentially POA/POI. Beyond that the reticle will be of no help. That said, the Leupold custom shop offers an exposed CDS turret conversion that can be used to dial-in elevation based on a specific load. IMO, that would be the way to roll if there's a need to reach out further;

Name:  leupold_cds_f.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  23.0 KB

User Tag List