Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Better stock up on PBR...

Site Supporter
    Other than small house or craft beers, I can't see how most folks can drink standard American swill and pronounce it worthy.
    There's a wider breadth of quality among American mass-produced beers than there was when we were growing up. Shiner Bock and Yuengling are pretty damned good. I don't think Abita qualifies as a micro-brewery anymore. And I do like Fat Tire. OTOH, there's always Natty Bo we can throw rocks at.

I lived in Germany - then West Germany - for six and a half years, courtesy of my rich Uncle. German beer fully deserves its reputation. But the move in the US to regional breweries has resulted in a huge narrowing of the quality gap between German and American beers.

I haven't thought of Ballentine and Piels...or Rheingold... in ages. When I was of beer-drinking age the cool stuff was Genny Cream Ale.

ETA: I'm going to get a sixer of PBR tonight, for explicitly cultural reasons.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 11-12-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    There's a wider breadth of quality among American mass-produced beers than there was when we were growing up. Shiner Bock and Yuengling are pretty damned good. I don't think Abita qualifies as a micro-brewery anymore. And I do like Fat Tire. OTOH, there's always Natty Bo we can throw rocks at.

I lived in Germany - then West Germany - for six and a half years, courtesy of my rich Uncle. German beer fully deserves its reputation. But the move in the US to regional breweries has resulted in a huge narrowing of the quality gap between German and American beers.

I haven't thought of Ballentine and Piels...or Rheingold... in ages. When I was of beer-drinking age the cool stuff was Genny Cream Ale.

ETA: I'm going to get a sixer of PBR tonight, for explicitly cultural reasons.
    Never could get into Yuengling. I was indoctrinated into the world of Genny Cream Ale by my buddy from Tupper Lake, NY.

I've had one or two New Belgium beers / ales that were decent.

Definitely a lot of different beers out there now that weren't available back in the day.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've had one or two New Belgium beers / ales that were decent.
    New Belgiums taste great, unfortunately for my wife and dog, they come out the other side in the form of noxious smells that could curdle milk.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    As a youngster, my beer preference was (in order):

1) Free
    2) Cheap
    3) Neither, but available.

In high school I drank Wiedemann. It was under $5 a case. Budweiser was about twice as much at the time. Two cases vs one case is easy math.

Wiedeman being a regional beer, I was unable to procure it in the military. So I learned about a six pack of decent beer and a case of whatever. Rolling Rock became my "decent".

Once I quit drinking an Olympic level, Sam Adams and Lienies were my go-to, although I still like Bud (which for some reason gives me a headache while drinking it these days) and PBR. Wiedemann went under but has been revived by hipsters or something, I haven't tried the "new" Wiedemann. The old was sort of like a combination of beer, metamucil, and corn bread. I don't know what "Bohemian recipe" means, but you could taste the corn. You could also shit through a screen door the next day and not get the screen dirty.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    You could also shit through a screen door the next day and not get the screen dirty.
    That is a wonderful mental image.

Chris

Similar thing was supposed to happen in the watch world. All these boutique watch brands didn't want to make the 1 million dollar investment into producing their own movements, so would just buy ones from ETA. Then ETA was bought by Swatch Group, and Swatch didn't want to sell movements to their competitors.

There used to be a beer in the 1990s called "Buckhorn" that was brewed in the Tumwater Washington brewery that turned out Olympia and Raineer.

We conducted scientific tests (blind) that proved, to our satisfaction, that Buckhorn was the best cheap beer available because it didn't have any funky tastes (or aftertastes). It also would not cause you to peel the paint off the bathroom wall with buzzard killing fecal blasts the next day. (Important stuff)

Sadly, this brand got the axe when Strohs or someone else bought the brewery and those brands.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Drunken fat men?

While I like good beer and non-IPA "craft beers", I like PBR as my "lawnmower" beer or when camping and need mass quantities (for when the creek water isn't safe to drink, naturally). However, I also go to Miller High Life for the same purposes, so losing PBR won't hurt me too much.

Chris
    Same here for "living the High Life". The beer fridge (when we moved in, the previous tenant left a refrigerator in the garage . . . new landlord barely got out "Do you want me to leave it or . . ." before I said "Leave it, I've already got the beer to go in it.") is stocked with local brews, Yuengling, Pacifico/Modelo, various light beers for the spousal unit, more Yuengling, and High Life. I found myself going to the High Life quite often in the summer because when I've been busting my ass, I can't really appreciate the subtleties of a Founder's Breakfast Stout or Double IPA when it's 100 damn degrees outside and I've been detailing cars for 4 hours.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

A cold PBR can indeed hit the spot on a hot summer’s day.

PBR: the preferred drink of Frank Booth

User Tag List