Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Better stock up on PBR...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I went to the hipster college that re-popularized PBR

It's still not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've had one or two New Belgium beers / ales that were decent.
    While they do make a couple decent beers (Fat Tire and 1554, specifically), New Belgium is one of the breweries I have issue with. Somewhere along the line they decided "everybody loves IPAs" and that's all they seem to make now. I can't walk into a bar in my city that doesn't have 15 effing IPAs on draft...and they all taste vaguely the same (to me at least). First off, *summer* is IPA season....send that shit packing with the damn hot weather. Second, if you're gonna release yet another IPA, find a way to make it different than the other IPAs you've put out over the last 3 years other than changing they label.

Variety is a good thing. I'm equally happy with a Guinness, a Yuengling, a sour or a pale ale. Or a PBR

Site Supporter
    PBR was my Dad's beer so I drink one occasionally in his honor and I enjoy that. But most of the macro brews just don't have a lot of flavor. I do like Shiner Bock and a couple others, but my favorite is probably Jekyll 'Merican Amber Ale, a local brew with great unpretentious flavor.

Site Supporter
    Thursday nights, college days, we'd buy a half keg of PBR and keep it iced all weekend in the farmhouse double sink. We'd have a house full of friends coming and going for NBC's Thursday lineup - Cosby, Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court, Hill Street Blues (you can guess the year) - Then head downtown to get the weekend started.

Although my beer tastes are more Porters and Stouts these days, I still keep a few "PBR Pounders" (16oz cans) in the fridge. Sometimes they're just what you need.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    In years past, I've enjoyed many chilly PBR's out of a ski pack. For a younger 20-something it's about the perfect beer for finishing in the course of a chairlift ride. The price was a big help too - many times it was stretching all of our budgets to pack four of five of us into a friend's trusty old 5.0L AWD Mountaineer to drive up into one of Colorado's many good ski areas.

Having run the gambit of drinking whatever I could afford to drinking the fanciest shit I could find - these days I've found that the company I'm enjoying matters a hell of a lot more than the specific beer. I'll take cheap beer and good people over good beer and cheap people any day of the week.

Though I do love a good red ale and I feel like there's way too many IPA's where a tasty red could be brewed instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    It's still not very good.
    Correct. Yet people will still miserably drink it like it means something. We should just let bad shit die off.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post
    PBR: the preferred drink of Frank Booth
    "Heineken? Fuck that shit, Pabst Blue Ribbon!"

That was my introduction to PBR.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I still keep a few "PBR Pounders" (16oz cans) in the fridge. Sometimes they're just what you need.
    I guess if you can't find brake fluid, you have to do what you have to do.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

The last time I drank a PBR, I remember thinking that the horse who produced it likely had Hepatitis C.

I shall not mourn its passing.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Correct. Yet people will still miserably drink it like it means something. We should just let bad shit die off.
    Stop. Don't. Come back. [/willy wonka]

User Tag List