Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Watch recommendation for non watch guy.

Site Supporter
    My father was a navy diver and has a zodiac sea wolf with the radium dial. I was fascinated by the watch growing up so I wanted a dive watch for high school graduation. I received a seiko quartz Pepsi diver in 84. The Lume is dark, the watch is beat up and scarred (just like me) but it still keeps great time. Currently it wears a nato band. My wife bought me a seiko 007 automatic. I swapped in a stainless steel band and if I wear it every day it keeps good time. It does take a few weeks to settle down though. I have another 007 auto that I bought used. I added a nato band and a dragon shroud for a seiko tuna look but even after a trip to the repair shop it doesn’t keep good time. I bought my wife three citizen eco drives. As long as she keep them on the window sill they work great. I almost bought a citizen titanium golf watch once, I still may get one. My beater watch is a G-shock. You can’t go wrong with a citizen eco drive

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    My dude, if you got the opportunity to pay $900 for a Rolex Sub or GMT in anything resembling working condition in Year of Our Lord 2018, you would be stupid not to buy it (even if it were just to flip it).
    Flipping it would be the only reason.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have a beautiful anniversary edition 007 Seiko in Titanium given to me by a friend. I love the watch, but I don't wear it daily. In fact, for the past 18 months it has simply sat in a watch winder, except for one occasion where I wore it to the opera. Why? Well, because I live in a place where people get mugged a lot and I'd hate to lose a virtually irreplaceable watch. Also, it gains about 20-seconds a day and clearly needs some service and I haven't had the time (excuse the pun) and money to address it (service would run about $300).

So, about 18-months ago, I picked up a Timex Expedition Scout 40mm, with a black face and green NATO-style band for $55 from Amazon. You can now apparently order one custom for 75 bucks - https://www.timex.com/scout-40/My-Ti...dition#start=1 - No problem with dressier clothing with a leather strap. And business casual with the NATO band is fine. Keeps perfect time (I set it to the national atomic clock and it hasn't gained 1-second yet). Wears easy and whatever, if I destroy it or get mugged and lose it, or whatever. It was 55 bucks. Does everything I need a watch for.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I have a beautiful anniversary edition 007 Seiko in Titanium given to me by a friend. I love the watch, but I don't wear it daily. In fact, for the past 18 months it has simply sat in a watch winder, except for one occasion where I wore it to the opera. Why? Well, because I live in a place where people get mugged a lot and I'd hate to lose a virtually irreplaceable watch. Also, it gains about 20-seconds a day and clearly needs some service and I haven't had the time (excuse the pun) and money to address it (service would run about $300).

So, about 18-months ago, I picked up a Timex Expedition Scout 40mm, with a black face and green NATO-style band for $55 from Amazon. You can now apparently order one custom for 75 bucks - https://www.timex.com/scout-40/My-Ti...dition#start=1 - No problem with dressier clothing with a leather strap. And business casual with the NATO band is fine. Keeps perfect time (I set it to the national atomic clock and it hasn't gained 1-second yet). Wears easy and whatever, if I destroy it or get mugged and lose it, or whatever. It was 55 bucks. Does everything I need a watch for.
    check out - https://www.seikoserviceusa.com/index.php
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter

By keeping it on the winder, you are basically just adding to the wear and tear. Watch wonders are good for watches that are worn a couple of times per week, but as I frequently as this is being worn, I would suggest just letting it run down and winding it when you want to wear it.

+20 sec./day is definitely a bit much, although technically in spec for some Seiko movements. I would encourage that service when funds permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Another very inexpensive choice that I have been really happy with is the Casio MDV106 quartz diver's watch. You can find them for ~$40-50 if you look around a little bit. Only thing I dislike is the band - you can replace it with any 22mm replacement band. I went with a ~$10 black/gray NATO.

No real luminescence but frankly it's a great deal for the money. Water resistant up to 200m, nice clean display. I really like diver's style analog watches - next one I buy will be a mid-range Seiko, but this is a great daily beater.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 12-18-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wrt81 View Post
    If you get the citizen I’d also recommend getting these as I did get some scratches on the watch face of mine.
    KlearKare Invisible Screen Shield Protector for Generic Watch 31mm Face Bezel | Military Grade Scratch Protection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUJ35JI..._GtX6BbYG0MVG5

Those were easy to apply and you can’t even tell it’s there really.
    Thanks for that, I just put one on mine. The lens had scratched a couple of times in the last year.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I like this one a lot. Just needs a flex band and I'm all set. I'll be keeping an eye out.

Me Too

I picked up a Timex Expedition Scout 40mm, with a black face and green NATO-style band for $55 from Amazon.
    We might have the same one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Lots of color and band options.

Not auto or solar, but IMO the Indiglo feature is cool, you push in the stem to light it up:
    Name:  Indiglo.JPG
Views: 377
Size:  22.9 KB

Hate to resurrect this, but I’m in the same market for a watch.

Currently looking to replace my cheap Casio g-shock wanna be watch with possibly the eco-drive, or even the Casio mdv-106 posted. Maybe I’m dumb, but I want something a little more classic looking for on and off duty.

Is the recommendation for a good looking/durable/budget friendly watch different today than when this thread started?

OP, did you get one of these watches?

Thanks!

User Tag List