Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch recommendation for non watch guy.

Watch recommendation for non watch guy.

Budget is $100ish. My g shock of many years is becoming unsightly (but still keeps time great). It also doesn’t pair well with nicer attire. I’ve been looking at the field style watches and those seem to be a good balance of toughness and still have some class to them. My criteria are
    -slimmer is better
    -must have a second hand
    -must have the date and preferably the day of the week
    -be able to view it in the dark

I also don’t really need a huge watch. So far my google search has turned up these two:

Seiko Men'Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Stainless Steel Watch with Day/Date display, BM8180-03E https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQS1JW..._XTm6BbBWZSPE5

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Stainless Steel Watch with Day/Date display, BM8180-03E https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQS1JW..._XTm6BbBWZSPE5

I realized after a little bit of googling that I don’t know anything about watches other than they tell time. It’s like reading Spanish trying to figure out all the features.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

My wife bought me one of the Eco-drive watches a few years ago and it's been totally reliable. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you find one that fits your needs and fancy.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I have that same Citizen eco drive for a year and it's been great. Perhaps my only complaint would be that the face can scratch easily but sapphire crystal isn't often in that price range.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Budget is $100ish. My g shock of many years is becoming unsightly (but still keeps time great). It also doesn’t pair well with nicer attire. I’ve been looking at the field style watches and those seem to be a good balance of toughness and still have some class to them. My criteria are
    -slimmer is better
    -must have a second hand

I also don’t really need a huge watch. So far my google search has turned up these two:

Seiko Men'Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Stainless Steel Watch with Day/Date display, BM8180-03E https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQS1JW..._XTm6BbBWZSPE5

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Stainless Steel Watch with Day/Date display, BM8180-03E https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQS1JW..._XTm6BbBWZSPE5

I realized after a little bit of googling that I don’t know anything about watches other than they tell time. It’s like reading Spanish trying to figure out all the features.
    FYI bud you posted the same Citizen one twice

I think that one is a solid choice. It's been on my amazon list for a while.

Not sure if this is the Seiko you meant to post, but similar: http://a.co/d/hTCPFnf The various Seiko 5's are a good value in this price range. There are a lot of subtly different variants with Seiko. I have some buddies who are Seiko nerds.

As a non-watch guy, though, I'd lean towards that Eco-drive. I found an automatic to be annoying as I might skip wearing it a day or two and come back to having to get it jump-started again. The ecodrive should be better as long as you don't lock in a dark box more than you wear it.
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 11-11-2018 at 09:29 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I leave it on a table near the window when I'm not wearing it. Keeps it fully charged.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Nothing wrong with a solar Seiko or Citizen. Personally I'd go with any number of automatic Seikos in that range. The SNK line (snk803 ish to snk809 I think) sometimes goes for around $50-60. But there's plenty to choose from and the few I've had have held up well.
    Last edited by Paltares8; 11-11-2018 at 08:27 PM.

-slimmer is better
    -must have a second hand

Handled one of these yesterday. Very impressive field watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    FYI bud you posted the same Citizen one twice

I think that one is a solid choice. It's been on my amazon list for a while.

Not sure if this is the Seiko you meant to post, but similar: http://a.co/d/hTCPFnf The various Seiko 5's are a good value in this price range. There are a lot of subtly different variants with Seiko. I have some buddies who are Seiko nerds.

As a non-watch guy, though, I'd lean towards that Eco-drive. I found an automatic to be annoying as I might skip wearing it a day or two and come back to having to get it jump-started again. The ecodrive should be better as long as you don't lock in a dark box more than you wear it.
    Ya thanks for posting that link. That’s one the one I meant or similar to it. I wear my watch 24/7 except when I shower so I should be good with either an auto or solar. But to be honest I don’t really understand the pros and cons of either.

Quote Originally Posted by Paltares8 View Post
    Nothing wrong with a solar Seiko or Citizen. Personally I'd go with any number of automatic Seikos in that range. The SNK line (snk803 ish to snk809 I think) sometimes goes for around $50-60. But there's plenty to choose from and the few I've had have held up well.
    Why the automatic over a solar? I honestly don’t know and I’m curious.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Why the automatic over a solar? I honestly don’t know and I’m curious.
    I wouldn't get an automatic (or any mechanical watch) as a non-watch-person. You have to dick with them too much, especially cheaper ones in your price range.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    I wouldn't get an automatic (or any mechanical watch) as a non-watch-person. You have to dick with them too much, especially cheaper ones in your price range.
    If you are willing to allow for the possibility of becoming a watch guy, then I'd definitely get an automatic. Watches with a little heartbeat are infinitely cooler than something with a battery. if you go down this road, then you will definitely end up with more than one.

If you're a committed non-watch guy, then I wouldn't get an automatic.

But get an automatic.

User Tag List