Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Watch recommendation for non watch guy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Back in 1984 I finally could afford and bought a Rolex Sea Dweller @ $1160 or so. At the time I viewed this as the grail divers watch.
    I had previously dived with Seikos for years and they were very durable shock resistant etc.... and about $150 -200 or so.
    I thought the Rolex was a fine machine at the time.

I was training Okinawan karate at the time ( 1980s). After class I had put street clothes back on. A junior student had asked about use of the makiwara ( leather or rope wrapped striking board attached at one end to a vertical mount so that it flexes a bit when struck). I still was barefoot and stepped back on the training floor and struck the makiwara with a left punch to demonstrate. It was not a maximum effort punch as I was showing form, alignment, and how not to damage oneself.

Later that week I had a $380 repair bill (1980s) to fix the Sea Dweller. At this point I lost all the fan boy feelings about Rolex durability. My mechanical Seikos had held up through much more.

I admire the machinery of a good mechanical watch but lost the fan boy feelings.

Now I wear a Citizen Eco Drive Titanium Divers watch and Casio G Shocks, Pathfinders.
    That is really disappointing. Some advances in mechanical movement shock absorption have been made since then, but fewer moving parts always equals more inherent shock resistance, so quartz will always be superior in that regard. Rolex does have at least one rather incredible YouTube video showing some of their testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Concur re going Citizen Eco for reasons stated above. The linked watch will serve you fine.

May I suggest that you can make the watch a "Man for all Seasons" by swapping any number of straps to co-ordinate with your other gear/activities/clothes etc.

I like Sofie from:

https://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/c...hoC4jgQAvD_BwE

Her pricing is excellent. Her shipping from Sweden to the midwest is 5-7 days. The quality of the bands far exceeds the intersection of quality/value.

Keep us in the loop.

david of vcdgrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Budget is $100ish. My g shock of many years is becoming unsightly (but still keeps time great). It also doesn’t pair well with nicer attire. I’ve been looking at the field style watches and those seem to be a good balance of toughness and still have some class to them. My criteria are
    -slimmer is better
    -must have a second hand
    -must have the date and preferably the day of the week
    -be able to view it in the dark

I also don’t really need a huge watch. So far my google search has turned up these two:

Seiko Men'Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Stainless Steel Watch with Day/Date display, BM8180-03E https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQS1JW..._XTm6BbBWZSPE5

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Stainless Steel Watch with Day/Date display, BM8180-03E https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQS1JW..._XTm6BbBWZSPE5

I realized after a little bit of googling that I don’t know anything about watches other than they tell time. It’s like reading Spanish trying to figure out all the features.
    I’ve had the Citizen watch you linked for a few years. I love it. I also tried a Seiko automatic around the same time and hated the fact that it would lose/gain time on its own. I guess I’m not a “watch guy”.

If you get the citizen I’d also recommend getting these as I did get some scratches on the watch face of mine.
    KlearKare Invisible Screen Shield Protector for Generic Watch 31mm Face Bezel | Military Grade Scratch Protection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUJ35JI..._GtX6BbYG0MVG5

Those were easy to apply and you can’t even tell it’s there really.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I clicked this, and it says I purchased one last week.

Guess I know what I'm getting for Christmas from the wife.

Probably for $20 more than the current price.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Back in 1984 I finally could afford and bought a Rolex Sea Dweller @ $1160 or so. At the time I viewed this as the grail divers watch.
    I had previously dived with Seikos for years and they were very durable shock resistant etc.... and about $150 -200 or so.
    I thought the Rolex was a fine machine at the time.

I was training Okinawan karate at the time ( 1980s). After class I had put street clothes back on. A junior student had asked about use of the makiwara ( leather or rope wrapped striking board attached at one end to a vertical mount so that it flexes a bit when struck). I still was barefoot and stepped back on the training floor and struck the makiwara with a left punch to demonstrate. It was not a maximum effort punch as I was showing form, alignment, and how not to damage oneself.

Later that week I had a $380 repair bill (1980s) to fix the Sea Dweller. At this point I lost all the fan boy feelings about Rolex durability. My mechanical Seikos had held up through much more.

I admire the machinery of a good mechanical watch but lost the fan boy feelings.

Now I wear a Citizen Eco Drive Titanium Divers watch and Casio G Shocks, Pathfinders.
    I'm right there with you.

I also bought a Rolex in 1984, a no-date Submariner. Very shortly thereafter I whacked it on the door of a C-130 while on a jump and it started losing 15 minutes per day. Rolex repaired it under warranty at no charge, but the work took months and the folks at the authorized dealer were utterly obnoxious about it. When it came back I immediately traded it for a GMT Master II, which ran well for several years until it started losing time, too. By then I was driving a Volkswagen Fox, and the clock on the dash kept better time.

I love the looks of a genuine Sub or GMT, but can't bring myself to drop several thousand dollars on one. Not even sure that I'd pay the 1984 price ($900) for one now. Too many other things to do with that kind of cash, like stock up on 9mm ammo.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I've been keeping an eye on that watch wanting one. By the time I got home they were all sold out. Dang. Hopefully they'll go on sale again.

I'd like to put a black leather band on it.

-Cory

Site Supporter
    I was able to get one - thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I clicked this, and it says I purchased one last week.

Guess I know what I'm getting for Christmas from the wife.

Probably for $20 more than the current price.
    At least you know she got you the right gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I love the looks of a genuine Sub or GMT, but can't bring myself to drop several thousand dollars on one. Not even sure that I'd pay the 1984 price ($900) for one now. Too many other things to do with that kind of cash, like stock up on 9mm ammo.
    My dude, if you got the opportunity to pay $900 for a Rolex Sub or GMT in anything resembling working condition in Year of Our Lord 2018, you would be stupid not to buy it (even if it were just to flip it).
    Last edited by perlslacker; 12-15-2018 at 03:12 AM.

User Tag List