Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliability of Walmart sourced practice ammo?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    At our local Wal-Mart, there is a non-trivial chance you might have to use the ammo before you make it back to your car.
    My very first suspect as a detective drove to a Wal-mart in a different county and robbed a guy in the parking lot of his newly purchased .270 rifle and accouterments then drove back to our county for his planned shootout with the police (which he didn't actually engage in). This was a guy who was setting fire to houses then shooting the occupants as they ran out in a targeted "you owed me money and didn't pay me" message sending campaign.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My very first suspect as a detective drove to a Wal-mart in a different county and robbed a guy in the parking lot of his newly purchased .270 rifle and accouterments then drove back to our county for his planned shootout with the police (which he didn't actually engage in). This was a guy who was setting fire to houses then shooting the occupants as they ran out in a targeted "you owed me money and didn't pay me" message sending campaign.
    Sounds about right.

Ours opened after we moved here. There was a stabbing in the parking lot within 24 hours. My understanding is that the other stores in town like Fred Meyer, have seen a noticeable reduction of inventory shrinkage, shoplifting, and general shit-baggery.

As much as I dislike it, I do occasionally go there. It's a 40 mile round trip to The Wal-Mart (we're "rural") but that's still 20 miles closer than some of the other stores that sell some of the stuff that Wal-Mart sells.

The last time I was there, there was a grown ass man arguing with his mother about whether he could have the big box of Pop-Tarts or the little box. What moved it out of "pathetic" territory and into "frightening" was that he was open carrying what I believe was some form of Taurus autoloader in a cheap nylon holster.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by K.Hungus View Post
    I guess that my biggest problem with buying ammo at Wal-Mart is having to go to Wal-Mart, attempt to track down someone with a key to the ammo cabinet, etc. Much easier to just order from SG Ammo, Target Sports USA or Brownells.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    No kidding. I once waited a full hour for someone to find a damn key and open the cabinet for me. If it weren't for the fact that they were selling the last of their ZQI 7.62 for $5 a box, I'd have left 45 minutes prior.

100rds of 12ga birdshot for $20 is about the only reason why I go there from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I don’t trust Walmart, but nor do I believe all the rumors out there.

Why would Ruger be willing to sell sub-standard guns through Walmart but not through Cabela’s or the LGS? It’s their reputation and warranty claim regardless of where it was purchased.
    Between college and the military, I worked for Walmart for a short time. Products are routinely damaged in transit due to the companies haphazard way they load things into their trucks. It's not uncommon to find something like a firearm damaged because it started at one end of the trailer at point A and wound up on the opposite end at Point B. The company doesn't send the product back, but puts it on the shelf instead. I think this is where people get the idea of seconds being sold.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Sounds about right.

Ours opened after we moved here. There was a stabbing in the parking lot within 24 hours. My understanding is that the other stores in town like Fred Meyer, have seen a noticeable reduction of inventory shrinkage, shoplifting, and general shit-baggery.

As much as I dislike it, I do occasionally go there. It's a 40 mile round trip to The Wal-Mart (we're "rural") but that's still 20 miles closer than some of the other stores that sell some of the stuff that Wal-Mart sells.

The last time I was there, there was a grown ass man arguing with his mother about whether he could have the big box of Pop-Tarts or the little box. What moved it out of "pathetic" territory and into "frightening" was that he was open carrying what I believe was some form of Taurus autoloader in a cheap nylon holster.
    Were they Strawberry with colored sprinkles? If so, watch out. Only steely eyed pistoleros eat those
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Were they Strawberry with colored sprinkles? If so, watch out. Only steely eyed pistoleros eat those
    I'm a brown sugar cinnamon man myself, but I gave up all pretense years ago..
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Winchester White Box 9mm cases do not have the grooves machined with any decent QC. They are randomly in and out of spec, leading to a maybe it will, maybe it won't extract reliability outcome. Many or most of the grooves are non-concentric to the case, so if it's rotated one way in the chamber, it will run fine, but the same case rotated to a different orientation in the chamber will fail to extract. You can see how it's going wrong by inspecting the witness marks on the non-extracted brass.

The bullets in WWB .380 are formed randomly, some with a fairly crisp edge to the flat nose, others fairly rounded, and scattered in between.

I've seen WWB .38SPL with a case mouth that was wavy, as if notched to mate perpendicularly to another case, and the high parts were swaged into the bullet ahead of the crimp. That one could have gone badly if fired.

I've run some of the contract overrun .40S&W purple case ammo because it was cheap and I had no issues.

I have gone through 350 rounds of UMC 9mm and had zero issues other than more soot than average building up on the front of the slide, including all the rounds I put through an M11-A1 that routinely chokes on WWB. Have more in the queue.

Same with the PPU-stamped Monarch from Academy.

I have had zero issues ever on American Eagle 9mm ammo, and quite decent accuracy with the 124gr from a classic Sig.

I've inspected some AE in .40 S&W that was so random and garbagy it made me wonder if some of the cases weren't reloaded. Most of them had dings in the side exactly like my G34 puts in every round it ejects. I've seen quality firearms (Colt 1911 and USP) exhibit frustratingly poor accuracy with AE in .45 ACP; both shooters did dramatically better that day with a Beretta that was loaded with quality Hornady ammo.

I have had one FTE with the M11-A1 and Blazer Brass, but that's the only BB issue I've ever had in any caliber.

I have no reason to think ammo sourced from Walmart would be different than the same SKU from any other source.

I do believe Walmart would buy special batches of decontented guns, such as the very cheapest Remington 700s, to get the price down. But that would be intentional reduction of content, not guns that failed to meet QC standards.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-12-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I've not noticed one "plinker" 9mm to be much better or worse than another regardless of where it came from, but it's not always as accurate out at 25+ yds (but then again, neither am I). I'll stick with my Fiocchi 124 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Those are my favorite. I admit that I like Pop-Tarts way more than a grown man should.

I'm a brown sugar cinnamon man myself, but I gave up all pretense years ago..
    You're not alone in the brown sugar cinnamon appreciation and I've gone from steely eyed to corrective lenses and apparently skipped the whole gunfighter stage...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List