Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliability of Walmart sourced practice ammo?

Sellier and Bellot 9x19 115 grain FMJ,
    $163.80 per 1000. Shipping is usually $16. This is my current go to practice ammo for my Generation 5 Glock 17.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/selli...ot-115-grain-f

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    In cheap 9mm brass practice ammo I have three choices. Yellow box Remington, white box Winchester and Federal Champion. Its there any difference in reliability with these three in an HK P30SK? I had two stoppages yesterday with the Winchester, both stove pipe jams. I have not had any issues yet with this gun till yesterday. Just hit the thousand round mark. The manual insists on brass ammo only.

I did purchase some over pressure Federal Aluminum 9mm that locked a Shield down tight that I used to own. Been a little wary of Walmart since then.

So does it matter or not?
    If that was the Winchester White Box 115 grain ammo, it's pretty weak sauce. I can regularly induce a failure in my otherwise completely reliable Glock 19 by shooting that ammo with a weak, one-handed grip. A friends 9mm USP would have occasionally have issues with that ammo too.

I don't think the problem with that ammo is that you bought it at Wal-Mart. It's just not hot enough to be 100% reliable.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Third (fourth?) for sgammo.com.

I consistently find them hard to beat for reliable quality ammo. Last ordered a case of AE9DP and a couple boxes of Federal HST. They consistently have good prices and availability (although GD 124+p is hard to find; good that Federal HST 147 is also on Doc's List) such that I've never had a problem getting ammo from them. And fast shipping. And very easy to communicate with. Just a solid company to deal with for all of the (10?) or so transactions I've had over the last four or five years.

I did the majority of my P365 2000 round test with the Wally World Fed 115 brass fmj. For the price (around $180 per thousand) it's comparable with 115fmj shipped. I've had no issues with it or the small amount of aluminum Federal 115 fmj I used. That said, I love me some sgammo for 124 and 147 grain 9mm.
    Last edited by vaspence; 11-11-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    SGAmmo is very much GTG. I have been buying that Federal 115 from Wally World lately and it's $182.98 counting the sales tax. I've had great luck with that line of ammo in everything.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    I have heard years back that Wal-mart buys (or use to buy) guns that did not pass QC from Ruger and some others. I have no idea or anyway to verify if there is any truth to that claim.
    I don’t trust Walmart, but nor do I believe all the rumors out there.

Why would Ruger be willing to sell sub-standard guns through Walmart but not through Cabela’s or the LGS? It’s their reputation and warranty claim regardless of where it was purchased.

I ran about 400 rounds of Federal Champion through my P30L without complaints other than some lead flakes occasionally spitting back at me. I try to avoid Wally World for ammo, but if I'm really pressed for time, I'll still pick up Federal Champion.

Brownells and SGAmmo are otherwise my go-tos. I've paid 17 CPR for my last two cases of Fiocchi and S&B from them.

Site Supporter
    My excuse for buying ammo at Wal-Mart is simple: I'm low and in a hurry. Buying ammo online has always been the cheapest way for me..if I have the time. I've not had as many firearms as some here, but, I've never had any problems with Wal-Mart ammo. FWIW, I only buy Federal American Eagle there.

I guess that my biggest problem with buying ammo at Wal-Mart is having to go to Wal-Mart, attempt to track down someone with a key to the ammo cabinet, etc. Much easier to just order from SG Ammo, Target Sports USA or Brownells.

Quote Originally Posted by K.Hungus View Post
    I guess that my biggest problem with buying ammo at Wal-Mart is having to go to Wal-Mart, attempt to track down someone with a key to the ammo cabinet, etc. Much easier to just order from SG Ammo, Target Sports USA or Brownells.

At our local Wal-Mart, there is a non-trivial chance you might have to use the ammo before you make it back to your car.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List