Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chromebooks for kids

chromebooks for kids

Evidently the time has come that the kids' homework is all computer-based and so we're looking at Chromebooks. I wouldn't typically go that route but evidently the school system here is using them so why buck the system.

I'm a little clueless here. On the one hand would be buying "cheap and disposable" which tends to go against my nature. On the other hand trying to "overbuy" today in the hopes of not having to do this again every year.

Also, does RAM, HD size, and processor speed matter here? Option (1) below is pretty lame on at least processor speed.

Graphics are another question/concern as I hear some of the screens are "dim" or have shitty overall graphics.

Pretty sure I want a touch screen and 360-degree hinge...

Do I wait for "black friday" at this point or am I only looking at saving a couple of bucks (not worth the headache for me, even when dealing with online during the holidays).

I'm looking at a few different options

(1) What the school is currently using ("kid proof", designed and marketed for institutional use)
    Dell Chromebook 11 3189 T8TJG 11.6-Inch Traditional Laptop

(2) The new version of that same thing (better specs, same form factor)
    New Chromebook 5190 2-in-1 - $460

(3) an "upgrade" that some website or other suggested (basically, 2" larger screen than item (2) above, but not "kid proof")
    Acer Chromebook R 13 ARM Cortex-A72 2.0GHz 4GB LPDDR3 64GB Flash Drive 13.3" FHD MT Chrome OS - $408

(4) Widely regarded as the "best" (including by Wirecutter, my go to) and screen size larger than (1) and (2) but smaller than (3)
    ASUS C302CA-DHM4 Chromebook Flip 12.5-inch Touchscreen Convertible Chromebook, Intel Core m3, 4GB RAM, 64GB Flash Storage, All-Metal Body, USB Type C, Corning Gorilla Glass, Chrome OS - $475

(5) something completely different?
    Last edited by rob_s; 11-11-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    While I couldn’t begin to tell you the specs, we took option 2 and got my son the “better” version of the one he has at school. Seems to be fine.

We pay ~$200 for the ones we deploy at our district and they work fine enough. ChromeOS does almost nothing aside from browsers and Google's apps, I imagine it's hard to find a chromebook that would slog down.

I would just pick one, they'll all do the job.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Student
    These laptops are basically school supplies and I'd see no reason to have to buy new ones every year any more than if the school upgrades their own computers every year. Homework doesn't entail more than word processing, navigating a browser, and maybe videos and live streaming, right? I'm reminded of those secondhand Dell Latitudes made for corporate use.

I'd go with the first option but clicking your second link also shows a '35% off list price with coupon SAVE35 in cart' in the description so that's a done deal if it was me.

Then again I'm using SolidWorks on a refurbished Lenovo T430 Thinkpad running Windows 7 that I got on eBay for $150, so I'm probably not someone to listen to.

Probably worth mentioning, kids are in 2nd and 5th grades, and our district goes k-5, 6-8, 9-12 for E, M, H schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    I'd go with the first option but clicking your second link also shows a '35% off list price with coupon SAVE35 in cart' in the description so that's a done deal if it was me.
    looks like this only applies to businesses. Not sure how that shakes out.

ETA:
    Looks like the credit is already applied
    List Price
    $655.71
    Total Savings
    $196.71
    Standard Delivery
    Free
    Dell Price
    $459.00
    Last edited by rob_s; 11-11-2018 at 11:44 AM.

I'll add more later, but we just had to get a Chromebook for our sixth-grader

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    looks like this only applies to businesses. Not sure how that shakes out.
    I see there's a suggestion to apply for Dell Business Credit and that the coupon code says 'select business PCs' (I guess as in being marketed as PCs for a business rather than requiring you to be one) but I can plug in the code on the cart page right before I hit the checkout button, and the total remains after hitting 'checkout as guest.' I think you should be fine.

Name:  dell_discount.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  33.0 KBName:  dell_discount2_cart.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  37.7 KB

my point is, however you slice it, the $460 price in my original post appears to be the after-discount price.

I'm entering the discount code and it says it's not valid, and I chatted with their support folks and they said that the $460 price is after discount.

I can't read your screen shots so I don't know if you're seeing something different than that.

ETA:
    well, now it's working with two of them in the cart.

I hate computers.
    Last edited by rob_s; 11-11-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    my point is, however you slice it, the $460 price in my original post appears to be the after-discount price.
    I think that $196.71 under 'Total Savings' is a separate discount. I took the screenshots to show that the price should be around $420 after applying the code.

EDIT:

Ha, well if it's working now with two of them (I presume you only need to buy 2), take the savings and RUN!
    Last edited by Yung; 11-11-2018 at 12:16 PM.

User Tag List