Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Anodized Skillet with NO Nonstick Interior?

Site Supporter

Hard Anodized Skillet with NO Nonstick Interior?

Does anybody know if such a thing exists anymore? I've done a fair amount of searching and everything I find has a nonstick interior, which seems to defeat the purpose. I figured I'd throw this one out here and see if anybody else had more luck. I know we have a lot of people with varied interests and a fair number of people who cook, so...Help me PF. You're my only hope.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Does anybody know if such a thing exists anymore? I've done a fair amount of searching and everything I find has a nonstick interior, which seems to defeat the purpose. I figured I'd throw this one out here and see if anybody else had more luck. I know we have a lot of people with varied interests and a fair number of people who cook, so...Help me PF. You're my only hope.
    Even Calphalon, who really pioneered hard anodized cookware, has stopped making cookware without a nonstick coating. There has been too much concern about the health effects of exposing food directly to the aluminum surface. A good nonstick coating prevents this without introducing additional health concerns, whereas cheap nonstick coatings that scratch and flake easily can be problematic.

Site Supporter
    Thanks. That's what I've been finding. I have yet to have a nonstick that holds up well over time, so I've been avoiding it.

The other reason is that anodizing in the pans is very sticky and not all that hard. It’s like cast iron that can’t be cleaned with anything abrasive, even blue 3m pads will cut through it in a couple years.

Caphalon tri-ply might be worth a look. Heat distribution of aluminum, stainless durabilty on the outside, dishwasher safe
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Thanks. That's what I've been finding. I have yet to have a nonstick that holds up well over time, so I've been avoiding it.
    Calphalon's high-end nonstick lines are pretty durable. There is a big difference between the lower end products and higher end products when it comes to the quality of the nonstick surface.

We regularly replace our non-stick surfaced pans, soon is visible scratches start to appear the pans days are numbered. Have had good luck with Calphalon classic very durable holds up well with a greater longevity then most others similar pans.

Saw some nonstick at Sur La Table called Scanlon, made in Finland or somewhere equally idyllic. Looked pretty cool.

Cast iron does everything for me. Some of the new hipster polished skillets (e.g. Finex or Butter Pat) are especially good.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have Caphalon Tri Ply, Allclad Copper core, Allclad D5, and cast iron pieces. Some of my cast iron is vintage and some of it is modern Lodge.

I probably use my modern Lodge 12 inch skillet more than anything. Yes, it took a while to get it seasoned but not terribly long if you cook daily. I have a ten inch chef's skillet by Lodge that my son won in a Dirty Santa game and it has taken on a non-stick seasoning since last month. I can cook over easy eggs on it with no sticking already.

Modern Lodge is not ready from the get go, in my opinion and takes a few seasonings to get it anywhere near non stick. I used olive oil, heat, a metal turner to scrape the heck out of that rough surface once it was hot, and then a few bakings in the oven with super thin layers of OO.

The Allclad and Caphalon stuff is also pretty much non stick so long as it is VERY CLEAN. Soap and water won't do it without a good polishing with Bar Keepers Friend and a good paper towel drying. I have found that food doesn't stick to the pan....it stuck to the food I left behind.

I don't own any teflon at all.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Caphalon tri-ply might be worth a look. Heat distribution of aluminum, stainless durabilty on the outside, dishwasher safe
    Caphalon also has "space saving" sets that stack which I believe also are made with stainless and an aluminum core.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List