Thread: IALEFI Master Instructor Development Program

IALEFI Master Instructor Development Program

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Nice writeup

I went to the Master program in Mt Carroll IL last last year. For the most part I liked the program quite a bit. I wish the curriculum would be standardized by the association, from what I understand it varies location by location. I actually got the most out of the Shotgun portion taught by Mike Boyle. It had been a long time since I had to really run a shotgun. Pistol was amazing (Taught by Impact / Ex USTC instructors). The rifle portion left much to be desired.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mpd046 View Post
    Nice writeup

I went to the Master program in Mt Carroll IL last last year. For the most part I liked the program quite a bit. I wish the curriculum would be standardized by the association, from what I understand it varies location by location. I actually got the most out of the Shotgun portion taught by Mike Boyle. It had been a long time since I had to really run a shotgun. Pistol was amazing (Taught by Impact / Ex USTC instructors). The rifle portion left much to be desired.

Matt
    Mike Boyle taught the shotgun portion of this class. I have been through a 40 hour instructor level course on the shotgun and really appreciate the platform even though it seems to be going out of vogue. Give it 10 years and somebody will "discover" the shotgun and all of its capabilities and then it will be fashionable again.

It does appear that whoever teaches the program has vast influence over the material they present which is good in some ways, but it also means that the product we got in this class might vary greatly from the product the next group gets.

Looks like an enjoyable three days on the range. Maybe I missed it in the review, what emphasis was there on developing the master instructor students as instructors, program development / sustainment and those issues we in the cop training world should also be focusing our programs on?

Not attacking the class because I only "know" what I just read about it, but I'm curious how the instructional aspects were addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Looks like an enjoyable three days on the range. Maybe I missed it in the review, what emphasis was there on developing the master instructor students as instructors, program development / sustainment and those issues we in the cop training world should also be focusing our programs on?

Not attacking the class because I only "know" what I just read about it, but I'm curious how the instructional aspects were addressed.

Good question. What I personally took away from it that I will be incorporating into our training program is much more speed oriented shooting with more one handed work. I will also incorporate more of a competitive atmosphere into agency training. I personally enjoyed the shotgun stuff that we did, but in my agency, the shotgun is pretty much an afterthought with the rifle being the primary longarm. Unfortunately, I didn't take away a lot from the rifle portion of the class.

More important than the actual program was the contact time with other instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Maybe I missed it in the review, what emphasis was there on developing the master instructor students as instructors, program development / sustainment and those issues we in the cop training world should also be focusing our programs on?

In the Illinois class developing teaching ability wasn't touched on much, if it was mentioned at all. It was described to me as a course to allow instructors to sharpen their own gun handling skills and maybe pickup a couple of drills to take back. I left with a handful of drills, mostly for the shotgun, and a couple pages of ideas and notes. Most of the ideas and notes actually came from the breaks and during lunch when the students would sit down and talk about how they do things at their agencies.

A different name for the class would probably have been better. But the price for the course can't be beat.

Matt

User Tag List