Thread: Brass Sorter

Brass Sorter

I broke down and started reloading 9mm just recently. Naturally, I can't resist all that pretty brass lying on the ground at the range. Evil .380 brass exists at the range though.

I picked up one of these kits: https://www.shellsorter.com/. Seems to work well.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I've had one of these since they first came out. Great tool and time saver. I don't have the 380 plate, but I don't see 380 much at my ranges. I cull them when they go in the sizer. I can feel them because they go in so easily.

It’s pretty much a must-have as far as I’m concerned.

When you use them it is much more ergonomic to use a full 5 gallon bucket with a lid as a base. Put another 5 gallon bucket on it, and the sorter on that. It will save you some bending over and lets you shake the bucket around more easily.

I’ve been meaning to engineer in some spacers between the sorters, using the plastic offsets use for pegboard or something similar. My desire for this will soon become clear to you.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I can see one of these in my new future. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    It’s pretty much a must-have as far as I’m concerned.

When you use them it is much more ergonomic to use a full 5 gallon bucket with a lid as a base. Put another 5 gallon bucket on it, and the sorter on that. It will save you some bending over and lets you shake the bucket around more easily.

I’ve been meaning to engineer in some spacers between the sorters, using the plastic offsets use for pegboard or something similar. My desire for this will soon become clear to you.
    How about using 5 gallon bucket pieces as cylinders to be spacers and fastening it all on a tumbler to vibrate ?
    Last edited by 1slow; 11-23-2018 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    How about using 5 gallon bucket pieces as cylinders to be spacers and fastening it all on a tumbler to vibrate ?
    My last cycle I used a vibration table and it works - if you have one. The trick is not putting too much brass in at a time. It’s probably my least favorite part of the process so anythign that makes it less odious is good.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I recently bought one of the basket-type sorters from Berry's:

https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/rotary-brass-sorter

Does anybody have one of these that works well for them? If so, would you mind sharing your secret? I've not had good luck with mine. Cases want to hit the horizontal slots vertically and don't readily fall through. I've tried big handfuls of brass and small. I've tried spinning the basket fast and slow. Nothing really seems to work.

User Tag List