Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Any updated Aimpoint Acro P-1 Release?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Reliability. And who gives a shit how ugly it is.
    While I agree, if it's reliable, no one cares how ugly it is. We don't have these in the wild yet to know how reliable they are. Let's remember, every new optic is "1000x more reliable than Z-optic" as part of the marketing regime, but 1000x more reliable than a DPP is still zero.

Lest I be accused of doubting our SMEs with hands-on experience, I am not, it looks like Aimpoint may have a winner here. Unfortunately, that's a single digit sample size of optics. We have at least one guy here who have double-digit sample sizes of just broken Deltapoint Pros, and counting the others we have close to two dozen busted DPPs reported right here on P-F over the last 3-years, and half again as many busted RMRs, plus all the busted other pistol optics.

In other words, I'm not ready to proclaim any pistol optic reliable, closed emitter or not, until it's out in the wild to be beaten on severely.

As for the Acro P-1, it really is as ugly as an inside-out asshole. That thing hit every branch on the ugly tree on its way down and then someone beat it with an ugly stick for good measure. The blockiness of the optic is going to cause concealment issues for many, I guarantee it. A rounded T1-type tube of a smaller diameter would have worked much better. I know it's harder to make round glass than even curved glass, but I can think of a dozen ways to improve the profile of this optic, but alas, not to improve it now that it's made. Honestly, just making the thing physically smaller would have merit. I know that would make the window smaller, not as good for gaming, but it would be way better for concealment.

Am I correct in thinking that Aimpoint is aiming at having the M68 of slide mounted red dots? Built like a tank, long battery life, resilient enough for military duty use. I don't see how this will match the window size and clarity with some of the optics used in Carry Optics now. So I suspect they are not even trying for that niche so much as capturing the growing market of special operations units that do use pistol optics, with the hope that the military market will grow into the conventional force in time, that it will lead to LE sales, civilian sales to the serious pistol carrier (a fairly small group all things considered) and finally the "emulate the military" civilian owners (who are a pretty big group).

It is fugly, but so are Glocks and I learned to like their looks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that Aimpoint is aiming at having the M68 of slide mounted red dots? Built like a tank, long battery life, resilient enough for military duty use. I don't see how this will match the window size and clarity with some of the optics used in Carry Optics now. So I suspect they are not even trying for that niche so much as capturing the growing market of special operations units that do use pistol optics, with the hope that the military market will grow into the conventional force in time, that it will lead to LE sales, civilian sales to the serious pistol carrier (a fairly small group all things considered) and finally the "emulate the military" civilian owners (who are a pretty big group).

It is fugly, but so are Glocks and I learned to like their looks.
    AFAIK this is the first optic designed from the ground up as a pistol sight.

All the others RMR, DPP etc were all originally designed as MRDS back up sights for optics on long guns. The RMR for example was Trijicons answer to Jpoint /Doctor MRDS breaking when mounted piggyback on ACOGs.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Will the G17 with ACCRO fit the holster in the background?
    Sorry HCM, I wasn't able to make it over to the Aimpoint booth before everyone packed up today.

Based on what I know about Aimpoint, they spent like zero time looking at existing pistol optics, mounting options, and evaluating EDC vs gaming use. Zero time getting feedback from US shooters. What they did was use their technology to come up with a sealed emitter, durable, long battery life pistol optic and figured we would adapt to whatever they come up with. They almost seem upset the word is out and they have to answer questions about the new product, and tell us when it will be commercially available.

The crazy thing is we will adapt to whatever they bring out, because it will be so much better than any hard use pistol optic currently available.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Based on what I know about Aimpoint, they spent like zero time looking at existing pistol optics, mounting options, and evaluating EDC vs gaming use. Zero time getting feedback from US shooters. What they did was use their technology to come up with a sealed emitter, durable, long battery life pistol optic and figured we would adapt to whatever they come up with. They almost seem upset the word is out and they have to answer questions about the new product, and tell us when it will be commercially available.

The crazy thing is we will adapt to whatever they bring out, because it will be so much better than any hard use pistol optic currently available.
    I’m interested, and could care less how it looks as long as it works!

Although, I DO wish it looked less like a minivan mounted atop the slide. It reminds me of my mom’s Chevrolet Astro we had when I was a young man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who cares how it looks if it does the job... but I’m kind of glad it’s fugly. A lot of the optics coming out are way overly branded to the point they undermine their performance by looking like something from NcStar.

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    A lot of the optics coming out are way overly branded to the point they undermine their performance by looking like something from NcStar.
    Based on the quality of most of these “overly branded” optics, I think they would be better to leave their name off of them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don’t think the ACRO is ugly. I do wish it was offered in grey and FDE.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Based on the quality of most of these “overly branded” optics, I think they would be better to leave their name off of them.
    No doubt, but then there are ones like SIGs high end scopes which are apparently good optics but the marketing department couldn’t help themselves.

User Tag List