Thread: Week 294: Frank Garcia Dot Drill

Week 294: Frank Garcia Dot Drill

Week 294: Frank Garcia Dot Drill

Results may be posted until December 9th, 2018.

Designed by: Frank Garcia
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: Six 2” dots – Download here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...in-circles.pdf
    Start Position: Hands at sides, facing the target, pistol holstered
    Rounds Fired: 36
    Par Time: 5 seconds

Start with pistol loaded and holstered. Upon start signal, draw and fire 6 rounds into one dot. Do this for each of the six dots.

Traditionally, this drill is shot from the holster, at 7 yards, with a 5 second par time, and is scored Pass/Fail (36/36 = Pass, not 36/36 = Fail.) Variations are fine if they enable you to participate in the drill.

Suggested variations:

If you aren't allowed to draw from the holster at your live fire facility, then instead start with the gun on the bench with magazine in the magazine well, but chamber empty. Upon start signal, pick up gun, chamber a round, and fire 6 rounds into one dot.

If the time and accuracy standards are unworkable for you, start by moving the target closer. If you are not able to make hits at the 3 yard line, then try doing the drill without a par time.

Concealment is not required, but is certainly allowed if you wish to use it.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Any variations used (concealment, starting with gun on bench, reduced distance, no par time)
    Time and hits for each of the six strings
    Total score out of the 36 possible points
    Pass or Fail per the original 36/36 standard

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    I have been thinking that I need to start working the Garcia Dots, but couldn’t remember exactly how the drill is set up. Very timely, for me, anyway.

G19 Gen5 out of an open carried Safariland ALS

I shot this at 5y instead of 7. I did not document the individual times and scores. I only know that the total score was 30/36. I only managed to beat the 5s PAR time in my sixth string. All my other strings were in the mid 5s to high 6s range. I shot everything on a single dot since I was shooting with two other people and we decided to share a Dot Torture target. I chose Dot 2.

This is a really hard drill and I knew I don’t have anywhere near the skill necessary to do this at 7y. 5y was more realistic. Meeting the 5s time was still difficult and I only managed to do it once. I think I only cleaned two strings. My only string under 5s had two misses.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List