Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth Rimfire Input Requested

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What they want to do is blast shit that moves.
    QFT. LOL

If it blows up it's even better.

For the really slight framed kiddos, the discontinued TC hotshot is super light, and decently accurate.
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/editori..._032111/99101#
    The CZ Scout is a great gun to grow with the kiddo too.

Never cared for the chipmunks or crickets because of the manual cocking lever that takes 20 lbs of force to cock.
    Last edited by jandbj; 11-10-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I agree re: reactive targets. We got a BB gun for our older girl for her tenth birthday and while she sort of enjoyed shooting the paper targets, she really got interested when we started shooting cans.

Way back when I got a Ruger 10/22 youth model for my stepson when he was about 10. I still have the gun, and at whatever point the girl shows enough interest and safety with the BB gun, we’ll get out and shoot that too. The one thing I remember with the 10/22 is that it was kind of heavy for the boy and he pretty much only wanted to shoot it supported. If I didn’t already have that gun and was buying new, I’d take weight into account at least as much as LOP.

I also have an M&P 22 ar15 or whatever s&w calls it, but I believe that’s even heavier than the 10/22.

ETA:
    you’ll probably get at least some “start them on a bolt action so they have to take their time” advice. I don’t necessarily disagree with this in theory, but these kids are the kids of the kids of the microwave generation. Patience tends not to be their thing. It’s like,y the rare kid that really wants to focus on the craft of shooting that much. What they want to do is blast shit that moves.
    Regarding the 10/22 verses S&W M&P .22, how do the issues of weight verses adjustable length shoulder stock work out for your kids?

I agree re: bolt action v. Semiauto, although for their first ever shot, I would only put one in the magazine. Showing them that senisutos are not inherently evil will also become increasingly important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Just personal preference, but I like the 10/22 10 shot magazine because it is flush with the receiver as well as the Marlin 60 tubular magazine because it doesn't extend below the receiver either. 20 or 30 something shot magazines gives you extended shooting time between reloading, but can hamper shooting off a bench when developing your sight picture and trigger pull skills.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I don't want it to just be about shooting, though. I want to introduce them to the nuances of the outdoors. Walking through the woods and observing animal sign, tracks, sounds, etc as well as introduction to vegetation, etc. Doing so with a .22 rifle to have the opportunity for a shot on the odd squirrel seems it would add to the enjoyment and "tie the tool to the task."

The boys are 2 years apart and will turn 6 and 4 in December. Both are on the larger size for their age.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Check out the Marlin 15YN. It's a youth-size, single shot, but with a "real," quality action just like their bigger rimfires. Out of production, but can be had very inexpensively with a little patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Just personal preference, but I like the 10/22 10 shot magazine because it is flush with the receiver as well as the Marlin 60 tubular magazine because it doesn't extend below the receiver either. 20 or 30 something shot magazines gives you extended shooting time between reloading, but can hamper shooting off a bench when developing your sight picture and trigger pull skills.
    Good points above. "Walking in the woods.." is a perfect place for a lever action .22. It seems that Marlin is no longer producing them, but Henry is:
    https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/lever-action-22-rifle/

6 and 4 years old might be a little small for them, still. Does any other company make a Cricket-sized levergun?
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 11-16-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

*The S&W 15-22 is still banned from Project Appleseed for safety reasons

https://appleseedinfo.org/how-to-prepare/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bearing...ischarges/amp/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    After spending the day in the field with my 12y/o nephew last Saturday, it put a burr in my saddle to get my boys more time in the field. To date, I've introduced the 5y/o to shooting through a suppressed M&P22 pistol and suppressed M&P15-22 rifle with red dot. He also has a Daisy "Buck" bb gun. He's not opposed to shooting, but doesn't seem to long for it. Some of that may be to lack of exposure, though. Once or twice a year isn't exactly regular exposure. He did really seem to come alive about it on our latest trip 3 weeks ago where we has able to break clays with the 15-22.

I don't want it to just be about shooting, though. I want to introduce them to the nuances of the outdoors. Walking through the woods and observing animal sign, tracks, sounds, etc as well as introduction to vegetation, etc. Doing so with a .22 rifle to have the opportunity for a shot on the odd squirrel seems it would add to the enjoyment and "tie the tool to the task."

Now, I have for both of my sons already sitting in the safe a pair of 10/22 Deluxe Walnut Sporters, a pair of Colt 6920's (sequential sn's) and a pair of Buck 110's (pair of each = one for each son).

My thought is to pick up something like a Crickett or Savage Rascal single-shot bolt .22 that would be something lighter/easier for him to tote around the woods for a couple years until he's ready for the 10/22 and then his brother can tote around the single shot.

The boys are 2 years apart and will turn 6 and 4 in December. Both are on the larger size for their age.

Thoughts?
    For me and mine . . . it's a little early. Still BB gun/air rifle ages IMO.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    6 and 4 years old might be a little small for them, still. Does any other company make a Cricket-sized levergun?
    Probably not Cricket-sized. But there is a youth version of the Henry.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/leve...2-youth-rifle/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    When I was a kid, I saw my friends do some stupid things with airguns. My dad always believed in starting kids out on a .22 simply because they would respect it. That is what I do as well, for the same reason.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    *The S&W 15-22 is still banned from Project Appleseed for safety reasons

https://appleseedinfo.org/how-to-prepare/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bearing...ischarges/amp/
    That appears to answer my M&P 15-22 question.

User Tag List