Thread: CZ SP-01: Asking too much?

CZ SP-01: Asking too much?

The CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical checks all the boxes I want in a nightstand gun: Heavy, high capacity, night sights, DA/SA hammer, decocker, rail. But the damn thing is cursed.

First 400 rounds were Winchester 124gr NATO. 1 stovepipe and several fail to lock back on factory mags. Then 200 S&B 124, 1 fail to lock back. Then 500 Independence Aluminum 115gr with 1 stovepipe. Then I bought 4 Mec-Gar 19 round magazines and ran 600 S&B 124gr with 3 stovepipes and most recently 1 extraction failure (image below). I feel like at 1700 rounds this gun should be running smooth and reliable but it isn't. I've contacted CZ but I'm wondering: Am I asking too much from this gun?

Name:  20181108_173259.jpg
Views: 2125
Size:  69.2 KB

Edit: oops I meant to put this in the semi-auto forum
    Last edited by ArgentFix; 11-09-2018 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Oops

The two band new Shadow 2 pistols I bought last spring both had similar problems and required a trip back to CZ. They paid shipping and fixed them. Send it back for repair.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have two CZ 75B SP01 Shadow pistols from CZ Custom, a CZ 97B from CZ Custom, and a CZ 75 SP01 (non-Shadow) from Cajun Gunworks. All the 9mm pistols have been getting a good workout for the past year in IDPA matches, and just recently started trying the CZ 97B in CDP class in that game.

The only issues I have had with any of them were remedied when I installed +10 magazine springs from Greg Cote in the CZ OEM magazines and had KS Custom Guns slightly lengthen the throat in both Shadow pistols. (So far, zero problems with the .45.)

Back when I had my first CZ (p-01) - I found out about CZ’s having pretty short & tight chambers. I found it to be somewhat picky on certain ammo with longer COAL. Could be some of that? Also, any chance inadvertently hitting the slide release?
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    The CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical checks all the boxes I want in a nightstand gun: Heavy, high capacity, night sights, DA/SA hammer, decocker, rail. But the damn thing is cursed.

First 400 rounds were Winchester 124gr NATO. 1 stovepipe and several fail to lock back on factory mags. Then 200 S&B 124, 1 fail to lock back. Then 500 Independence Aluminum 115gr with 1 stovepipe. Then I bought 4 Mec-Gar 19 round magazines and ran 600 S&B 124gr with 3 stovepipes and most recently 1 extraction failure (image below). I feel like at 1700 rounds this gun should be running smooth and reliable but it isn't. I've contacted CZ but I'm wondering: Am I asking too much from this gun?

Name:  20181108_173259.jpg
Views: 2125
Size:  69.2 KB

Edit: oops I meant to put this in the semi-auto forum

Did you ever get your CZ working properly?

Could someone move this to the semi-auto forum? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Did you ever get your CZ working properly?
    Unfortunately no.

After posting this I ran another 600 S&B 124gr with different combinations of lube & mags, carefully checking my grip and such. Same results, possibly more frequent. I sent the gun to CZ and got it back 3 weeks later. They replaced the slide stop (which, curiously, fixed the FTBLEs I traced to a single magazine), recoil spring, and extractor spring. That seemed reasonable but then the extraction/ejection problems got worse:

300 Blazer Brass 124gr: 3 FTEj, 1 FTFeed, 1 FTEx
    300 Lawman 124gr: 2 FTEj 1 FTFeed

So I sent it back again to CZ a few days ago. Cory there tells me the gun will go to the front of the line, and more extensive testing will be done by a different gunsmith.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    Could someone move this to the semi-auto forum? Thanks!

Unfortunately no.

After posting this I ran another 600 S&B 124gr with different combinations of lube & mags, carefully checking my grip and such. Same results, possibly more frequent. I sent the gun to CZ and got it back 3 weeks later. They replaced the slide stop (which, curiously, fixed the FTBLEs I traced to a single magazine), recoil spring, and extractor spring. That seemed reasonable but then the extraction/ejection problems got worse:

300 Blazer Brass 124gr: 3 FTEj, 1 FTFeed, 1 FTEx
    300 Lawman 124gr: 2 FTEj 1 FTFeed

So I sent it back again to CZ a few days ago. Cory there tells me the gun will go to the front of the line, and more extensive testing will be done by a different gunsmith.

@Tom_Jones

I held one at the gun store today and really liked it. This and a CZ Rami would be a neat combo.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 01-21-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    In the past extractor issues were seen frequently in the 75 series CZ's. Replacing the spring became a knee jerk response. You will receive either a new pistol or one with a new extractor. If the latter, I would trade this pistol in on a new Beretta. I like CZ's and have owned many. I have two that function. I never had one that did not have a defective trigger return spring. They should have fixed it the first time.

Interesting, and frustrating I'm sure.

Bottom line to me is no, you are not asking too much.

User Tag List