Thread: Test Results on a Couple of Alternatives to HST

Site Supporter

Test Results on a Couple of Alternatives to HST

Some of us got kinda miffed when Vista decided to get hardcore about the selling of LEO-packaged HST and Gold Dot to non-LEOs. I saw that Remington ammo seems to be available in 50-round boxes at reasonable prices and started this thread to find out what the consensus was on Golden Sabre. Feedback was mixed, with some negative remarks from respected members based on experience from a few years back. I decided to get weird and get some to try myself and put in an order to Target Sports for a box each of GS 147-grain and GS bonded 124-grain +P. I also ordered a box each of Winchester Ranger 147-grain bonded and Federal XM9001 (the old 9BP load at +P velocity) out of curiosity, so that's three rounds that are on Doc's list and one that isn't. I wanted to check on their velocity, point of impact and muzzle flash. I used 124-grain +P HST as the basis for comparison and my carry gun (full-size Beretta PX4) as the test vehicle. The numbers shown are velocity/standard deviation for five rounds. I know five rounds isn't enough for a valid idea of SD, but I was sharing the range with two other sets of users and did what I could. I fired five rounds over the chronograph (except for the GS 147), another five on paper, and another five at dusk.

HST: 1186/12, noticeable dark orange fireball.

Ranger 147: 985/12, almost nonexistent fireball.

GS 124 bonded: 1103/27, almost nonexistent fireball with a spark or two. This round appears to have a copper, rather than brass, jacket.

GS 147: I fired two sets of five rounds and my chrono caught four the first try and three the second. This round has the original brass jacket which may have messed up the readings. I'll call it ~900/~15. Almost nonexistent fireball with a spark or two.

XM9001: 1175/15, bright orange fireball.

At 15 yards, these rounds impacted very close to one another, with the 147s maybe an inch higher. The XM9001 was the most accurate. Unsurprisingly, all rounds fed, fired, extracted and ejected flawlessly.

The Remington ammo felt soft, almost too soft, but my reaction is probably skewed by my years-long familiarity with the hotter HST. Since both made Doc's list, they're apparently going fast enough.

I had read that the Ranger had almost no muzzle flash, but was pleasantly surprised to see the GS at the same level. OTOH, I was unpleasantly surprised to find that the HST was relatively flashy. My guess is that Remington realized they screwed up a few years back and fixed the problem.

Bottom line for me: I'd carry either of the Remington loads, or the Ranger for that matter. My preference would be for the 124-grain version since I have a source for cheap 124-grain FMJs to load for practice. I'd order a case tonight if I didn't already have five boxes of HST on their way to me now.

Thank you for this. I ordered a case of 147, 9mm and a case of WWB .40 180 bonded (doc's list and everything I have seen outside of it says same round as Ranger in a different jacket). Should be here tomorrow, unfortunately for me, one boss goes into surgery tomorrow, so I am going back to probably 80 hours a week for a bit. (who knows, may be the end of the year)

"Some of us got kinda miffed when Vista decided to get hardcore about the selling of LEO-packaged HST and Gold Dot to non-LEOs."

What does this mean?

When I switched from ranger 147 to SXTs, I never did any low light testing.

Disappointed to learn about such flash in a premium line of ammo. One thing I do know, SXT shoots a bit softer in the 147 offering.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    "Some of us got kinda miffed when Vista decided to get hardcore about the selling of LEO-packaged HST and Gold Dot to non-LEOs."

What does this mean?
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....D-50R-LEO-Only

User Tag List