Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raven metal overhook

Not to go all Yeager, but how are these different from other plastic or metal overhooks that bend, lose their shape, or break in a real fight? I've drilled gun grabs and various ground fighting scenarios and have never had a PTD loop fail no matter what - though I do see the "table top" the snaps create. Closed soft loops would be secure but I'm not going to remove my belt every time I need to remove the holster.

They have a tooth that goes under the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    Not to go all Yeager, but how are these different from other plastic or metal overhooks that bend, lose their shape, or break in a real fight? I've drilled gun grabs and various ground fighting scenarios and have never had a PTD loop fail no matter what - though I do see the "table top" the snaps create. Closed soft loops would be secure but I'm not going to remove my belt every time I need to remove the holster.
    They are different in being a far lesser compromise than polymer clips/hooks. If I had to wager between even the new gen of steel clips vs soft loops, I’m picking soft loops. But that’s on the loops being say the 99th percentile against the best metal clips in the 90th to 95th or so. The best poly clips are going to be 80th or lower.

The steel clips have a better, grippier and far more robust tooth to catch the belt than any poly option.

The steel these clips are made from is tough and damned hard. Given the intended role of IWB, with properly set clips and tensioned/sized belt, the holster is just as likely to fail with the amount of force needed to deform the clip.

It’s about the tradeoffs. For some body types or clothing styles, one might be seeing a 20% or higher gain in concealment for a 5% or so security loss. If you’re a plainclothes copper that looks like a plainclothes copper, run the PTDs all day long you got nothin* to los3 there. If you’re doing UC or hostile NPE work, that concealment edge is infinitely more valuable than a bit more security.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    I just reread my response. I was thinking about the PTD loops and the plastic over hooks when writing that response. I have zero issue with the sturdiness of PTD’s, they are fantastic in that respect and are pretty low profile. I was mainly thinking of the plastic molded over hooks in comparison to the metal over hooks in terms of sturdiness but also of the table top effect of the PTD’s when carrying something really small like the G43. I epically failed to get my point across. I managed to mix the two thoughts. To sum up what I was trying to say is when trying to keep things as low profile as possible I don’t trust the molded plastic overhooks, I do trust the PTD’s but they do create the effect I was talking about, (especially when worn in tandem on a larger holster). It isn’t an issue with the metal overhooks. I really dig the metal over hooks over the plastic ones but do trust the PTD’s more. The metal over hooks feel really solid but after working with them more I feel there needs to be a little more adjustment for ride height. Even so I feel they are far superior to the plastic ones.
    Last edited by Mike C; 11-17-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Been running an Eidolon since they came out and ordered these immediately when I saw them. Had my holster set up with the DCC Mod4 Shorty's (1.75") for an 1.5" belt.
    The Ravens are thin and seem secure, but I could not find a usable ride height. Too low or way too high compared to the DCC Mod4 Shorty's. They also feel like they could be easily bent to an unusable form (like a flashlight clip). I could not easily snap the Raven clips over two of my my most often worn 1.5" belts, though they could be threaded from the side (Wilderness 5 stitch and a Rosen leather)
    I already have the DCC Mod4's back on the Eidolon and am looking forward to trying their new version that has less of a tab just below the belt. Realized that I like the extra bit of play that the 1.75" DCC clips give with different thickness belts.
    Overall the Ravens were a nice attempt but feel cheap compared to the DDC clips.
    Last edited by Doublestack45; 11-18-2018 at 09:33 AM.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

I personally saw 1 or two PTD soft loops shear apart at the screw during ECQC. After speaking with Tom at DSG they're not all created equal of course, but to my knowledge they were quality PTD soft loops. I think this is precisely the reason the holster Craig had input on here has the closed soft loops instead: https://red1usa.com/product/shivworks-mkii/

Looking forward to testing some DCC clips next ECQC to see if they fare better. I expect them to.
    Last edited by SLUZENE; 11-18-2018 at 03:30 PM.

I've got some on hand, they work pretty well. I've had some friends who also have had them for a good while, thoughts are all in line. I'd not change too much with them, nothing functionally. If they were cheaper they'd be used on our holsters.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

The DCC overhooks definitely have a lot more tension. How do we feel about the tension of the Raven metal overhooks in comparison? I had assumed that more tension was better but that wasn’t an examined thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    The DCC overhooks definitely have a lot more tension. How do we feel about the tension of the Raven metal overhooks in comparison? I had assumed that more tension was better but that wasn’t an examined thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Clamp force is secondary to how well the hook grabs material. They work together to an extent but the hook/tooth needs to grab well enough first. The RCS seems sufficient for most circumstances.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Seems to me that if the Raven had the same finger tab at the bottom that the DCC (and others) do, more clamp force would be desirable. But without anything to catch a shirt, a finger, etc it's hard to imagine why more force would be an asset.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Clamp force is secondary to how well the hook grabs material. They work together to an extent but the hook/tooth needs to grab well enough first. The RCS seems sufficient for most circumstances.

User Tag List