Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raven metal overhook

Raven metal overhook

Bought a few of Raven's new metal overhooks to try.

Name:  38126301165_68fac53537_z__32563.1541196519.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  12.7 KB

I had seen D4 running/testing one on his Eidolon at a class earlier this year. I was surprised he was only running one clip and at the time I wrote it off because I've never had a single clip provide enough stability.

Somewhat similar to the Discreet Carry Concepts metal overhook. Both allow for less printing on the belt, and a more security than plastic overhooks.

This holster started as a JMCK 2.0 with front and rear DCC overhooks. After I removed the wing pad completely it fit me pretty well. Only downsides were: The front DCC overhook made rebuttoning my jeans a challenge, and front clip mounted on the edge of the front sight channel meant the gun could never be in a position to lay flat against my stomach (but it did keep the grip tucked in).

Ravel metal overhook Pros:
    • Standard hole spacing so retrofitting holsters is easy
    • Wider (at the bottom) than the DCC adds a lot of stability. 3/4" Raven at the bottom vs 5/8" DCC
    • Extra stability means I don't need a front clip which typically either prints or interferes with buttoning my pants!
    • Zero printing on the belt (downside to plastic clips and snap loops)
    • Metal "tooth" like the DCC really grabs the belt
    • Wider tooth also adds stability
    • No "lip" for shirts to get hung up on during the draw

Cons:
    • Without that little lip at the bottom, removing the thing from the belt is a real challenge. Is there a trick?
    • The metal spring tension is about 50% of the DCC overhook. The DCCs are amazing in this regard. But is it overkill?

I'm seeing these new and improved metal clips pop up all over the place, and mentioning how much tighter they fit on the belt compared to PTD loops. How tight a shirt does someone have to wear for soft loops to be a printing issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    I'm seeing these new and improved metal clips pop up all over the place, and mentioning how much tighter they fit on the belt compared to PTD loops. How tight a shirt does someone have to wear for soft loops to be a printing issue?
    It was never the loops themselves, but rather the dots on the PTD loops that printed for me. It was probably not noticeable to most, but in social settings, it was noticeable to my friends' girl friends. That was enough for me to try something else.

I completely agree it's not the loops themselves. My issue is the dots create table top for the shirt to sit on and it is quite noticeable, it is crazy how females really do tend to pickup on little details like that. The fix for me was going to the closed loops or the DCC metal clips. Closed loops make me feel warm and fuzzy knowing my holster is going nowhere plus there is zero of the table top issue. The DCC metal hooks are in a class all their own, especially ICW something like the Velo. I did order some of the new RCS metal clips to try with a G42/G43 VG2 when worn as a backup or as primary for more fitted and business type attire. I can't wait to try them they do look like they will be solid. I think it will be better than the strut with single PTD loop or the molded overhook.
    Last edited by Mike C; 11-09-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Was looking at these as well to retrofit my Edilion. Are the edges deburred well??

I bought a couple of these to try out, great design, really like that there isn't a finger tab to hang up on the shirt. Holster industry is moving at the speed of light! Constant stream of new stuff!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

I think I figured out how to remove these. Roll the bottom of the belt out slightly. The two small tabs become available for your fingers to slide under. Pull outwards until the tooth clears the belt. Slide up.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Are the edges deburred well??
    I would say yes. Picture's worth 1,000 words though.

Attachment 32210
    Attachment 32212
    Attachment 32213

I'd like to add that I really dig the base being wider where the clip attaches to the belt. It dramatically adds to stability during movement and when drawing at speed. Much less shifting occurs for me. I'm not sure if this was by design or not but I like it. My other observation was before when using the strut on the VG2 I would have the trigger guard body rotate outward and twist the belt causing the muzzle of the gun to be force more inward toward the abdomen which I disliked, (when watching on high speed video) this no longer happens with the metal clip. It will be really interesting to see what Tony, Tom, and the like come up with in regards to these just like they implemented the RCS claws.
    Last edited by Mike C; 11-09-2018 at 09:01 PM.

I was really excited about these, but then I realized that my Phlster Spotlight isn't compatible with them. Unless there's a way to change that somebody knows about.

Edited to add: I suppose a strut of some sort could work, but wouldn't I be defeating the purpose of low(er) profile belt attachments?
    Last edited by krax; 11-11-2018 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Lightbulb

If RCS is paying attention to this thread these clips are awesome but more adjustable in ride height would be a huge benefit. When carrying a G43 in a VG2 the G43 rides too high. There isn't enough muzzle length to keep the gun from rolling forward when bending over. I realize it's a compromise seating the gun deeper but I'd rather not end up with my roscoe on the floor. I hate the feeling of the rolling out when I bend at the waist.

User Tag List