Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss -- any knowledge out there?

Whew - excellent news.

Mark, I am very happy to see this news, and kudos to you for getting it checked out immediately. I had never heard of SSHL when it happened to me, but it is all too real. A quick PSA to folks looking at this: be aware of it for the sake of you and yours, because time is of the essence in trying to treat it. It is also frequently mis-diagnosed. Ear pro has nothing to do with SSHL, but as someone with weapons related hearing loss, also a good opportunity to remind all to protect your ears and eyes.

Again, very glad for you!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Mark, I am very happy to see this news, and kudos to you for getting it checked out immediately. I had never heard of SSHL when it happened to me, but it is all too real. A quick PSA to folks looking at this: be aware of it for the sake of you and yours, because time is of the essence in trying to treat it. It is also frequently mis-diagnosed. Ear pro has nothing to do with SSHL, but as someone with weapons related hearing loss, also a good opportunity to remind all to protect your ears and eyes.

Again, very glad for you!
    Thanks! I'm back to screwed up hearing and constant screeching in my bad ear now, which makes me all the more thankful my good ear is recovering -- seriously.

Site Supporter
    Good to hear Mark! (heh heh heh see what I did there)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Well, most of my hearing seems to have returned to normal (for me). Had an audiogram today and it looks pretty much like the one from a couple years ago. Will see the ENT on Tuesday in case they need to treat with steroids.

This incident freaked me right the hell out. I already have enough hearing loss. don't need any more.
    Frequent lurker here.

Be aware of two conditions that can cause sudden hearing loss: Meniere's and Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease. I have the latter. It consists of flare-ups during which I experience serial attacks of sudden hearing loss, mostly in my right ear. Out of the fourteen or fifteen instances of SSHL I've suffered, the damage was only permanent in one - I lost all of the high frequency hearing in my right ear. Most of these episodes last several hours, although two of them lingered for nearly a day.
    Last edited by MrCollector; 11-09-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCollector View Post
    Frequent lurker here.

Be aware of two conditions that can cause sudden hearing loss: Meniere's and Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease. I have the latter. It consists of flare-ups during which I experience serial attacks of sudden hearing loss, mostly in my right ear. Out of the fourteen or fifteen instances of SSHL I've suffered, the damage was only permanent in one - I lost all of the high frequency hearing in my right ear. Most of these episodes last several hours, although two of them lingered for nearly a day.
    Thanks for the info, and I'm sorry you suffered hearing loss. I know what it's like. I hope the ENT can tell me a little more next week.

Glad that’s better!

Site Supporter
    So I saw the ENT doc today and the summary is "yeah we have no idea... watch your salt intake... hopefully it won't happen again... sorry about your luck last week but hey it looks like you recovered."

There is no apparent cause for what happened. At this point I am considering myself very fortunate that the sudden hearing loss wasn't permanent, knowing that some people aren't so lucky.

Don't ya just love idiopathic conditions? We don't know what caused it but take these...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List