Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss -- any knowledge out there?

Site Supporter

Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss -- any knowledge out there?

Well, this sucks. I already have diminished hearing and tinnitus due to noise induced hearing loss. My left ear is far worse than my right -- that is until this afternoon. Over a very brief period of time I noticed the hearing in my right ear -- the good one -- diminishing and being replaced with ringing similar to what I always have in my left ear only a different tone. I have not been exposed to any recent loud noise or other obvious cause.

I looked it up online and starting reading about SSHL. It sounds like it can be pretty serious and cause permanent deafness in some people. I plan to see an audiologist right away if it's not back to normal by tomorrow.

I really don't need this. Anyway, does anyone have any knowledge of this condition or advice to pass along?

GO TOMORROW. I have it, and the damage was permanent in my case. The only treatment--and not a guaranteed fix, at all--is extremely time sensitive. It usually only impacts one ear, and in my case it was my good (i.e., not strong side) ear where I got it. GO TOMORROW.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    GO TOMORROW. I have it, and the damage was permanent in my case. The only treatment--and not a guaranteed fix, at all--is extremely time sensitive. It usually only impacts one ear, and in my case it was my good (i.e., not strong side) ear where I got it. GO TOMORROW.
    I'm sorry that happened to you.

Yeah I will definitely see someone tomorrow. I'm freaking out a little -- thinking about all the parts of my life this is going to screw up if it's permanent.

Rob-- PM on the way. Hoping the best for you.

Site Supporter
    Well, most of my hearing seems to have returned to normal (for me). Had an audiogram today and it looks pretty much like the one from a couple years ago. Will see the ENT on Tuesday in case they need to treat with steroids.

This incident freaked me right the hell out. I already have enough hearing loss. don't need any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Well, most of my hearing seems to have returned to normal (for me). Had an audiogram today and it looks pretty much like the one from a couple years ago. Will see the ENT on Tuesday in case they need to treat with steroids.
    Glad that things seem to have returned to normal. Was there any trigger for your episode? Loud noise etc?

Good luck.

Robinson, I don't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation but to say that I'm relieved to hear that the issue doesn't appear to have worsened and that you're pretty much back to "normal".
    Last edited by blues; 11-09-2018 at 04:04 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Glad that things seem to have returned to normal. Was there any trigger for your episode? Loud noise etc?

Good luck.
    No. It really seemed to be a case of SSHL, and most times the root cause is undetermined. I guess it could be related to my long term noise-induced hearing loss but I wasn't subjected to any loud noise recently.

And thanks.
    Last edited by Robinson; 11-09-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Robinson, I don't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation but to say that I'm relieved to hear that the issue doesn't appear to have worsened and that you're pretty much back to "normal".
    Thanks Blues. I was pretty worried last night, and my hearing didn't start returning to normal until this morning.

And call me Mark. Or doofus, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Thanks Blues. I was pretty worried last night, and my hearing didn't start returning to normal until this morning.

And call me Mark. Or doofus, or whatever.
    Okay, doo Mark. (I didn't know if it was out there. I don't want anyone to know my name is Elliott.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List