Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruth bader Ginsburg Falls & Breaks Ribs

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    She's a person, and despite not being a fan of her judicial philosophy I think it's disgusting you would wish that upon her.
    I don't know, but I think that was gallows humor about his medical prediction rather than wishing pain on the elderly. People in the medical field tend to be blunter about such things. That's how I took it anyhow.

Speculating on the death of old women isn't something I take part in, but appointing justices for life means it's gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    She's already held on long enough. Even if she were to pass away tomorrow, there's no way Trump would be able to appoint a new one before the election with all the opposition. The last one took forever and that was without a pandemic and riots tearing apart the country.
    Sure he can. Roberts was confirmed in less than a month and Trump would have until at least December to push it through. The Republicans still have the senate and there is no nuclear option to stop it. Yes, it will be one hell of a show, making the Kavanaugh hearings look like a walk in the park, but still doable.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Sure he can. Roberts was confirmed in less than a month and Trump would have until at least December to push it through. The Republicans still have the senate and there is no nuclear option to stop it. Yes, it will be one hell of a show, making the Kavanaugh hearings look like a walk in the park, but still doable.
    I wonder what dirt they'll manufacture against Amy Coney Barrett? I'm sure it will involve her religious zealotry.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Not wanting to retire is common among many federal judges, not just Justices of the Supreme Court.
    Just like pro football players.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Not wanting to retire is common among many federal judges, not just Justices of the Supreme Court.
    Blessed are they who go around in circles, for they shall be known as Wheels.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    She's a person, and despite not being a fan of her judicial philosophy I think it's disgusting you would wish that upon her.
    I think you misunderstood - I certainly don't wish her harm. Her constellation of medical problems just fits a certain trope in medical gallows humor (the GOMER) that I was evoking. This book is a good read for context. It probably is less funny if this isn't the kind of thing you are used to joking about...
    Last edited by Nephrology; 07-16-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I think you misunderstood - I certainly don't wish her harm. Her constellation of medical problems just fits a certain trope in medical gallows humor (the GOMER) that I was evoking. This book is a good read for context. It probably is less funny if this isn't the kind of thing you are used to joking about...
    Ahead of its time wrt showing the potential harms caused by modern medicine.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Ahead of its time wrt showing the potential harms caused by modern medicine.
    Also the potential harms of residency training

"Sure he can. Roberts was confirmed in less than a month and Trump would have until at least December to push it through."

That's true enough, but remember: Scalia died in Feb of the election year. And:

"...only hours after Scalia's death was announced, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell declared any appointment by the sitting president to be null and void. He said the next Supreme Court justice should be chosen by the next president — to be elected later that year."

So if Feb was too close to election day in 2016, it's kind of hard for normal people to say July isn't also too close. Sure, if there is an opening before the election, then the D's who thought there was plenty of time to confirm Garland will say there isn't time now, and the R's who thought Feb was too close to election day will think July isn't.

But normal people who aren't lying weasels^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hpoliticians might have a tough time being that two-faced.

(quote from https://www.npr.org/2018/06/29/62446...it-matters-now)

p.s. - like everyone else here, I hoped and hoped for another opening on the court, but I don't think it's going to happen.

I worry more that the Republicans would push through some uninspired Roberts-like nominee before losing the presidency and Senate in the 2020 election at which point the Democrats would feel justified going forward with their already public desires to expand/stack the Supreme Court...

User Tag List