Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruth bader Ginsburg Falls & Breaks Ribs

Site Supporter
    Bile duct stenting probably wouldn't be necessary if her chemo/radiation therapy was successful, no?

It's possible someone doesn't want to have that conversation with her.

I don't blame them. That conversation is a rough conversation to have.

I sincerely hope she has appointed a surrogate decision maker who will prioritize the humanity and comfort of her treatment. Pancreatic cancer is highly aggressive and beating it once already is certainly something noteworthy. Beating it twice is something that I have yet to hear of.

An aggressive chemo regimen for someone her age is going to be miserable, and borderline inhumane.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    An aggressive chemo regimen for someone her age is going to be miserable, and borderline inhumane.
    My understanding is that they don't generally go for aggressive chemo regimens for patients above about 65 years old unless the patient is exceptionally physically healthy otherwise. Also, aggressive chemo regimens are miserable for pretty much everyone, regardless of age.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    aggressive chemo regimens are miserable for pretty much everyone, regardless of age.
    Regular chemo is miserable.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    https://townhall.com/columnists/kurt...-ruth-n2552156

most of us feel a grudging respect for Ginsburg as a worthy opponent and as one tough cookie. She’s like John McCain with a neck doily; he drove us up the wall too, but as a group we did not wish cancer on him.

Not wanting her to die a horrible death is not to sugarcoat the damage she has done with her utterly upside-down vision of our founding document, but to simply reaffirm a point that never should have been an issue but is an issue because of the shameful behavior of liberals like we saw with Koch. We conservatives don’t want people to die simply because they have different political beliefs.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I'm just curious why people stay on the job into their 70's and 80's. Seen it where I worked and it always amazed me. One guy used to fall asleep at his desk. Once he fell out of his chair and caused a disturbance when he hit the floor. I believe he was about 72.

I retired when I was 63 and never once regretted that decision.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-26-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I'm wondering about the references to respect with regards to RBG. Sure, as a human, in a civil society we do not wish her ill will. However, as far as her career is concerned, she is sworn to uphold the constitution, yet her (legal) opinions are based on ideology and in certain circumstances conflicts with that with which she swore to uphold.

All of this does beg the question of when enough is enough. I do understand lifetime appointments, but where is the balance for the good of the nation that needs it's institutions to continue operating? I make this comment regardless of the ideology involved.

SCOTUS was not designed to be 8 members with a rotating sick/leave list.

At some point, health limitations preventing job duties should have some weight and precedence over tradition, ego, and the letter of the law.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm just curious why people stay on the job into their 70's and 80's. Seen it where I worked and it always amazed me. One guy used to fall asleep at his desk. Once he fell out of his chair and caused a disturbance when he hit the floor. I believe he was about 72.

Everyone is different. Some people actually love what they do - more than anything. This guy is a friend of mine and manages 3 R01 grants at the age of 80: https://school.wakehealth.edu/Facult...arles-E-McCall

He has been continuously funded by NIH for 50 years - longer than anyone else that I’ve heard of.

Every member of my family who immediately retired and completely left work declined rather rapidly. My father seems to have struck a pretty good balance of selling his investment business in his late 60s while being retained as an advisor without the day-to-day worries of operations. He also does some consulting.

I’ll probably stop taking call or working overnights in my 50s and stop seeing patients in my late 60s. However, I’ll keep my research empire until NIH, NSF, and DOD stop funding me.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

Here's a take: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ecline/590650/

The professoriate used to have a mandatory retirement age that was abolished. Folks hang on for various reasons, the negative ones:

1. Like the position, influence and adulation.
    2. Need the money for various reasons - some for very real survival.
    3. Have no life outside of the job
    4. Don't want to let the bastards run the place or be free of your telling them off, etc.
    5. Ego, think you are irreplaceable.

RBG was prodded to retire during Obama's term to let a younger justice replace her and secure that political position. I think reason #1 kept her on. One could have retired and probably find a nice low stress teaching, think tank spot in a suitable institution.

I retired at 67 when the financials worked. Never missed it and I had a nice job.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I'm wondering about the references to respect with regards to RBG. Sure, as a human, in a civil society we do not wish her ill will. However, as far as her career is concerned, she is sworn to uphold the constitution, yet her (legal) opinions are based on ideology and in certain circumstances conflicts with that with which she swore to uphold.

That's because you disagree with her. That can be said about the right wing judges from the other side. The court is not apolitical. Folks want it to be and state that only when they disagree with a decision that is contrary to their politics. The Constitution is not the laws of physics or mathematics. It is a social construction of its times, modified and interpreted as our society changes. The Court reflects that.

User Tag List