Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 10-Round 9mm Pistol

10-Round 9mm Pistol

After the last election, I believe that it’s a matter of when—not if—Washington state adopts a 10-round magazine limit, and I’m looking at the next gear evolution. Moving van aside, what are my options?

I’ve been a Glock guy since 2010, and I have hundreds of dollars worth of tools, mags, parts, holsters, etc. on hand. I carry a G19 with G17 spare mags, but I don't trust 10-round OEM G17 and G19 mags. I’ve spent significant time on the G26, but mags hang up on my hand instead of dropping free of the gun and I want to run a WML, so it’s out. Doc’s G19/G26 surgery (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-rd-mag-limits) would let me use a reliable, widely available 10-round OEM Glock magazine that drops free on reloads AND have a light. I've cut G17s to take G19 mags before and can do this work myself, but I'd rather avoid this if I can.

My current thinking is that the best case scenario would be for Glock to unfuck the OEM 10-round mag situation.

Next best would be to find reliable 10-round aftermarket 9mm G19 and G17 magazines. Is anything like that available yet?

Next best case is to switch from Glock to a brand with reliable 10-round magazines. I’d like to stay with a striker, but would consider SAO or DAO. Not super interested in TDA just yet.

HK looks promising, especially the VP9sk. CZ is out due to safety/decocker ergos. DAO Beretta might work.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

P99 with a P99c? Gives you striker and/or TDA if you want, all in one...I've not heard of anyone complaining about magazine reliability with them, and it gives you the same 19/26 size guns (roughly)

Or, PPQ, if you don't want to risk accidentally liking the P99 DA mode

Site Supporter
    HK VP9SK or P2000SK are stellar with their 10 round magazines in my experience and I think their 10 round magazines for the standard size HKs work very well also.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I came from Glock and am really digging the HK LEM trigger. No fussing with safeties and decockers. A nice light and steady trigger pull with a great reset. I'd give the P2000SK a good look.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Gen 5 Glock 19 chopped to take 26 magazines is my ten round solution. It works with the ten round lower, 19 lower, and G45 lower. I can pick laser, optic, WML, or plain iron sights as I wish. I can also pick 10, 12, 15, or 17 round mags as conditions change.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I live in a state with 10-round mag limits.

the HK P2000 works well with factory 10-round mags. I have about 6000 rounds through mine without a single stoppage.

The Magpul 10-round mags for G19's have worked well for me. I've used them with a variety of FMJ & 147gr HSTs without any issues. I've only put about 1000 rounds through the Magpuls so far, but haven't had any problems. However, some folks hereabouts have indicated the Magpul magazines are not ready for primetime. I can't recall the specifics.

I am going to try Wolff extra-powered springs in my OEM Glock 10 round mags to see if that makes a difference.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Mark D; 11-08-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Personally I would choose the P2000sk v2 (LEM), if presented with only 10 rds. However it sounds like you're firmly on the Glock train, and it is silly to argue with DocGKR and GJM.
    Taking a break from social media.

I think the most sensible choice is a ten round variant of whatever you are carrying as your full size pistol, so training familiarity carries over to the ten round choice.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

What am I missing?

Okie John
    A 1911 (snerk)

I jest sir. However, cutting your gun for 26 mags might not be a bad idea "if" such a thing comes to pass. I recommended fighting any and all dumbass legislation. So far Illinois isn't down yet, primarily due to an extremely involved ISRA and a ton of support for gun rights from the rural and suburban areas and even some rural Democrats.

But to your point. I would go for the VP9 in a heartbeat, although my current infatuation is the M&P. Currently my 10 round mag I purchased for it works decently although it won't drop free when empty unless the gun has been fired a few times. Plus the Apex barrel makes it far more accurate than a Glock and probably a shade more accurate than a VP9.

Of course, a well built 9mm 1911 is hands down one of the most accurate semi auto pistols out there and some guys can make them work well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just last night, I got my sights settled on a target. Carry size, 9mm, 1911. Now to pull the trigger....

User Tag List