Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Pistol from Ed Brown

Site Supporter
    At that price point why not go with the new STI. It is a single stack, but guessing since it is on a 2011 frame you will be able to put the double stack handle on it eventually. They start about about $400 cheaper...

https://sti-guns.myshopify.com/products/staccato-c

Site Supporter

I think this is what the market needed...

I'm not really a big 1911 guy. But this gets my attention.

-The cost is approachable for SO many more people. It's still expensive... but personally, 3 or 4 grand for a handgun pushes into a territory that I'm not sure I'd ever be able to justify (at least not any time soon). $1800? Yeah, I could get there.

-I like the steel frame. I had an alloy framed 1911--wished it had the heft of steel.

-Is it actually built on a true .45 frame? "Optimized for the 9mm caliber, the KC9 inherits those same characteristics, yet is smaller, thinner, and lighter." Maybe it's EMP-ish in that they actually modded the dimensions be more of a native 9mm platform.

-I wish it had an officer sized grip, instead of the bobtail.

-That STI Staccato is cool. But I like the classic looks and svelteness of the EB better. Capacity isn't a huge deal for me in a carry gun.

-The Smith Compact Pro 9mm looks like a contender as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPpFWhScFl8&t=52s

I like it.

The ambi safety (in the form of their "carry" version) is a $200 option.

Nothing against this pistol, but after a friend had a bad experience with a Ed brown and also read about others who have had bad experiences with Ed browns customer service I don’t think I would bite on this.

Good thing with Wilson is You also get their CS which is top notch.

Cool gun though

I am sure they will have a LW aluminum framed version out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post

-Is it actually built on a true .45 frame? "Optimized for the 9mm caliber, the KC9 inherits those same characteristics, yet is smaller, thinner, and lighter." Maybe it's EMP-ish in that they actually modded the dimensions be more of a native 9mm platform.
    It says it uses standard 1911 grips and magazines. So not really possible that it is reduced like an EMP. I would wager that regular 1911 parts will interchange like normal. This is a GOOD thing though IMO.

-That STI Staccato is cool. But I like the classic looks and svelteness of the EB better. Capacity isn't a huge deal for me in a carry gun.
    Can't argue looks and it's hard to define 'sveltness,' but judging from the information STI has released vs EB, the Staccato is almost certainly smaller in every measurement. The capacity is also the exact same between the guns.

That said I'd consider adding a railed, alloy frame model to the collection!
    Last edited by ChaseN; 11-09-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    I like it.

The ambi safety (in the form of their "carry" version) is a $200 option.
    That is double the price an ambi-safety on all their other models. Not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Nothing against this pistol, but after a friend had a bad experience with a Ed brown and also read about others who have had bad experiences with Ed browns customer service I don’t think I would bite on this.

Good thing with Wilson is You also get their CS which is top notch.

Cool gun though
    My sample size of one Ed Brown won't be statistically significant, but the 5" 1911 Ed Brown I own (and have owned since 2009) is THE pistol that I own and would bet my life on. I have shot many, many rounds through it (using CMC 8-round magazines in IDPA, USPSA, and steel matches) and have never had one single issue with it. I also own STI, Colt, Wilson Combat, Springfield, S&W, and Dan Wesson 1911's, and the only other pistols that have been 100% trouble free besides the Ed Brown are the Dan Wesson pistols, but I haven't near as many rounds downrange through the DW ones. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    My sample size of one Ed Brown won't be statistically significant, but the 5" 1911 Ed Brown I own (and have owned since 2009) is THE pistol that I own and would bet my life on. I have shot many, many rounds through it (using CMC 8-round magazines in IDPA, USPSA, and steel matches) and have never had one single issue with it. I also own STI, Colt, Wilson Combat, Springfield, S&W, and Dan Wesson 1911's, and the only other pistols that have been 100% trouble free besides the Ed Brown are the Dan Wesson pistols, but I haven't near as many rounds downrange through the DW ones. YMMV.
    Ive had the same experience with EB, I own two a full size SF and a carry SF. Full size is a 2009, carry a 2014 also have a 2015 made WC CQB. My Browns have run just as well, for longer. I’m really interested in that new EB 9mm, surprises me because I’ve never had any interest in 9mm 1911s before. Maybe because this one is built from the start around the 9mm, but truthfully I think I’d like it more if it were a .40.

User Tag List