Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The P-F Grail Guns Thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    JAG had an ATF certification form for importing stuff like that. Had a date they had to be manufactured prior to and so forth. Most of the guys in my unit brought home an Enfield musket or something like that. Fairly simple process - they encouraged us to do it, actually. Put a little money into the local economy, take home a unique souvenir to pass on to your kids.

Not buying that all original, fully functional PPSh was a sad day.
    That's very cool. Thanks.

Chris

My grails are mostly "fun guns".

1) American AR-180 because full-auto .22 LR is just cool and I have a full-auto rated suppressor.

2) Holland & Holland Royal O/U in 28-gauge because bird hunting.

3) Holland & Holland Side-by-Side in 12-gauge just because it balances like nothing else. Who cares that it costs as much as a nice home?

4) SIG P210-7 in .22 LR because I love accurate rimfire guns and Swiss craftsmanship.

5) S&W 952-2 with the six-inch barrel because it is the most accurate 9x19 pistol of my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Top 20 firearms if I switch bodies with Jeff Bezos:

1) 5" Registered Magnum

2) 5.25" MR-73

3) 5" Blued Korth .357

4) 6" Stainless Python

5) "Artillery" Luger with buttstock/holster

6) EM-2 with plenty of .280 ammo and spare mags

7) M16A1 with 1st gen Starlight scope just like Dad had in Camh Ranh Bay

8) Chinook-mounted Minigun just like Dad got to use to chop trees in the jungle

9) M1 carbine with M3 infrared scope

10) Automag in .44AMP

11) P7M13, ah heck make that a P7M7

12) Korth 9mm Semiauto

13) MP5

14) P90

15) Glock 18

16) Holland and Holland double in .275 Rigby, fitted for me

17) Freedom Arms .454

18) Early model Thompson with drum mags

19) Insane, bespoke, engraved to Jack O'Connor's standards, with a lighter colored wood my color-blind ass can appreciate boltgun in .25-06 Ackley Improved with the best scope made

20) Smith m39 with ASP conversion
    You have great tastes. Korth built some incredibly fine handguns over the years.

I've slowly accumulated a few...

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    My grails are mostly "fun guns".

1) American AR-180 because full-auto .22 LR is just cool and I have a full-auto rated suppressor.

2) Holland & Holland Royal O/U in 28-gauge because bird hunting.

3) Holland & Holland Side-by-Side in 12-gauge just because it balances like nothing else. Who cares that it costs as much as a nice home?

4) SIG P210-7 in .22 LR because I love accurate rimfire guns and Swiss craftsmanship.

5) S&W 952-2 with the six-inch barrel because it is the most accurate 9x19 pistol of my experience.
    I'm a huge fan of the old Performance Center S&W's and I'd agree on the accuracy of the 6" 952-2. However, the model to its right and on the far right is the 6" PPC9. I found it to be even more accurate than the 952.

Its a shame S&W doesn't build this sort of thing any longer. They are spectacular pistols.

S&W 2nd Model Hand Ejector with the barrel cut back to 4" . The correct caliber would be .455.

S&W 1917 with the barrel cut back to 4" with the front sight on a band around the front of the barrel.

I'd need a BHP and a Webley to go with them...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I’d like to add a 3.5” S&W Registered Magnum to my list.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I think I may have my grail guns. It helps that I avoid looking at GB, and have stopped looking at forums that are about general firearms.

1. “African” rifle: Once upon a time, my wife and I spoke of an eventual African safari, or an potential extended stay in Africa, perhaps based upon her volunteer work, or perhaps contract work involving forensic anthropology, as she is one of the most-experienced death scene investigators in the USA. I have read Hemingway, Ruark, Manners, Bell, Boddington, and others. Therefore, my lefty Winchester Model 70, Safari Express, .375 H&H, was seen as a starter rifle, with a custom “stopping rifle” being considered. Well, we have aged-out of living too adventurously. Living near my wife’s cardiologist is now a priority. So, no “stopping rifle” is likely to happen, and my existing Model 70 will represent my high-water mark for powerful rifles. It is plenty big enough for walking among North American predators, if I want to take it for a long walk.

2. Bear Revolver: Ruger SRH Alaskan, .454/.45 Colt. Got it. For a while, these were difficult to find, as demand exceeded supply. We are photographers, with increasing interest in nature photography. This is a truly practical grail.

3. Really Nice Shotgun: I never settled upon a favorite fancy shotgun, so, my Benelli M2 seems nice enough. Another practical grail.

4. High-End 1911: I have them. Les Baer TRS, Monolith, and a Premier II ‘smithed by Harrington. More practical grails.

5. Nice Single-Action Revolver(s). I have several, 3” to 7.5”, made by U.S. Firearms, the company that scared Colt into making better SAAs. I bought a couple of these after retirement, specifically as gifts for myself. I think this little collection may have stabilized, but I might be tempted again.

I had one Colt SAA, but it was soaked during Harvey. It had been bought in “shooter” condition, so the soaking was not a tragedy, though the grips were ruined. I disassembled the Colt, soaked it with protectant, and left it, until I could return home to finish salvage. Unfortunately, the Colt had disappeared by the time I was released from nearly a week of continuous duty. So, I might eventually replace the Colt SAA, if I decide I need one of my SA sixguns to be an actual Colt.

This does not mean I have stopped buying guns; just that I have no active grail quests.
    Last edited by Rex G; 11-24-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I’d like to add a 3.5” S&W Registered Magnum to my list.
    Great choice!

Grail gun, fantasy gun, call it a Venn diagram with a lot of overlap. My list will jump back and forth. I have a desire for old guns that really existed and ones that should have, i.e. what I would have designed, built, and adopted had I been in charge in 1905, etc. And I'll start there.

1) Lee-Enfield No4 action to start, chambered in 7x57mm Mauser. 19" barrel and a fore-end like a No. 5 "Jungle Carbine". American style full pistol grip buttstock instead of the English style. Full size rubber buttpad, not the No.5 style. Winged front sight protector and a longer birdcage flash hider. Garand style M1 10" bayonet. Parkerized finish. I'll have two made, one with just iron sights, one with with a scout style scope.

2) A really nice 1896 Mauser C96 Broomhandle in 7.63 or 9mm. Just because they are really cool.

3) A couple of really nice Lugers.

4) Nighthawk Browning Hi-Power

5) Another fantasy gun along the lines of a Mauser Broomhandle chambered in .30 Carbine, using Carbine magazines of course. Mostly 15rd mags. Maybe select fire with a folding stock like the Czech Skorpion PDW. The grip would be shaped like a Walther P38. Not sure of the barrel length, but a birdcage flash suppressor, maybe a muzzle brake. Internal rotating bolt lockup. Pic rail on top of the receiver and an Aimpoint RDS. Han Solo blaster on steroids.

6) Smith & Wesson Model 27, 5" barrel.

7) T-26 "Tanker" style M1 Garand in .308.

8) Bushmaster ACR with a properly profiled barrel instead of the heavy POS that is standard.

9) Galil SAR.

10) Sterling L2A3 SMG. Plus another one modified to put the charging handle on the left side of the bolt instead of the right.

11) Erma (Schmeisser is INCORRECT!) MP40 SMG.

12) Uzi SMG.

I guess that will do for now.

Good to see you here, @Dorsai

User Tag List