Thread: S&W 14-3

S&W 14-3

The only thing missing is a set of Fuzzy Farrants:

Name:  IMG_1657.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  38.3 KB

I picked up this Model 14-3 this morning, 1971 vintage, target trigger, overtravel stop, target hammer, target stocks. A slight bit of holster wear on the end of the 6-inch barrel and a slightly wider than normal line around the cylinder, otherwise there is minimal wear. Superb trigger in dry fire. I hope to make time to put some wadcutters through it in the next couple of days, and I'll try to add some better photos later.

There was a matching Model 17 in the same case, but a lot more wear and more expensive. Couldn't justify that one given the condition and price, even though I'm pretty sure I'm not limited to one-in-30 days anymore under recent CA DOJ guidance for certificate of eligibility holders.

Still, the one I did bring home is reminding me how much I enjoy pre-lock S&W revolvers. I have a feeling there will be more to come.
    Last edited by Salamander; 11-07-2018 at 01:01 AM.

One of my favorites. Enjoy.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I recently got one of these as well, and it’s amazing! Good find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was worth a really long day to get to the range at the end of the evening. First though I had to do a little cleaning, while the exterior surfaces and the bore were nice and clean, there was a fair amount of accumulated lead around the forcing cone and on the underside of the top strap. It came off easily with a small bristle brush.

Name:  IMG_1662.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  24.8 KB

Once at the range, this was a pretty typical 10-round group with handloaded 148 HBWC. The two flyers in the 9-ring are my fault, I'm still adjusting to the really wide trigger and the slightest variation in pressure can have this result. I also still need to play with loads, a few rounds loaded very slightly faster started a really tight group but I only had a few of those.

This is going to be fun... I need to load some more ammo this weekend.
    Last edited by Salamander; 11-08-2018 at 01:46 AM.

User Tag List