Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New sneakers for the Dick Special.

Site Supporter
    Crimson Trace really needs to make a LaserGrip that fits Detective Specials. That would potentially solve a lot og grip and sight issues simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Crimson Trace really needs to make a LaserGrip that fits Detective Specials. That would potentially solve a lot og grip and sight issues simultaneously.
    I talked with CT about this idea a dozen years ago or so now. And was told then, "Our business plan does not allow us to pursue development of grips for guns that are no longer in production, we just don't sell enough to recoup R&D."

I had hoped that with the revival of the Cobra, that this would come to pass, but Colt changed the frame dimensions sufficiently that new and old model grips won't interchange, so even with a CT grip for the new "D-Frame" it wouldn't work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I talked with CT about this idea a dozen years ago or so now. And was told then, "Our business plan does not allow us to pursue development of grips for guns that are no longer in production, we just don't sell enough to recoup R&D."

I had hoped that with the revival of the Cobra, that this would come to pass, but Colt changed the frame dimensions sufficiently that new and old model grips won't interchange, so even with a CT grip for the new "D-Frame" it wouldn't work.
    Unfortunately Crimson Trace is probably correct. As much as I would like a LaserGrip for my own Detective Special, the truth is that if it were offered, I would have a really hard time justifying the purchase. I have not carried a revolver in many years, and putting such grips on this gun would not persuade me to carry it instead of a Glock 26 that is easier to hide, easier to shoot well under more conditions, holds a greater number of more powerful cartridges, is faster to reload, etc. Neither my wife nor daughter has much interest in revolvers. I doubt my son's interest in revolvers will be any greater when he is mature enough to begin shooting. As a training aid, a red laser is worthless outdoors in good light, and green would be more expensive and harder to justify.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

Is the difference enough that a little application of Bubba-izing could make a new Cobra grip fit a DS?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I'm way out of my lane here, but I can't help thinking that 3D printing should make producing a one-off merely exorbitant (relative to the price of a set for an in-production gun) but not completely unaffordable.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I'm way out of my lane here, but I can't help thinking that 3D printing should make producing a one-off merely exorbitant (relative to the price of a set for an in-production gun) but not completely unaffordable.
    3D printing would make it easy to have any shape you want. The problem is that the less expensive 3D printable plastics are not incredibly heat resistant.

If a “universal” base laser unit and a “universal” rubber backstrap were developed as part of the manufacturing process, the remainder of the grip could potentially be printed of an appropriate harder plastic, and then those two pieces added after printing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List