Thread: RFI: S&W 317 airlite 2" .22?

RFI: S&W 317 airlite 2" .22?

Yeah, the tiny 9+ oz, fixed sight one with the stub hammer. Saw one used, no-lock, and they want more than 5 bills for it.

But, j-frame, no lock, great condition, and they aren’t making any more. Anyone have any experience with this little gun? The price isn’t as much of a concern; I’ve never been much bothered by overpaying a little for .22lrs, since they’re super cheap to feed. I’m mostly wondering about sight regulation, longevity, etc.

Thanks in advance for the input, folks.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Yeah, the tiny 9+ oz, fixed sight one with the stub hammer. Saw one used, no-lock, and they want more than 5 bills for it.

But, j-frame, no lock, great condition, and they aren’t making any more. Anyone have any experience with this little gun? The price isn’t as much of a concern; I’ve never been much bothered by overpaying a little for .22lrs, since they’re super cheap to feed. I’m mostly wondering about sight regulation, longevity, etc.

Thanks in advance for the input, folks.
    Watching for responses. This is one that is on my list.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I have one.

It works better clean. It's a good little trainer if you want to work on your J frame trigger manipulation skills. It's meh as a plinker.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Had the 317 LS, hated the trigger. Sold it when I needed the money.

I have two, one 1 7/8" fixed sight version and a 3" adj sight model (both are lock versions). I shoot the 3" version a lot better at distance (30 to 40 yds) than the short gun. I do enjoy shooting the plate rack at 15 - 20 yds or so double action with the short gun. When I had my hip replaced and could only wear loose shorts with an elastic waist band, I carried the 1 7/8" in my pocket. Not optimum, but it made me feel better.

The charge holes do need to be cleaned fairly frequently (100 rnds or less) to facilitate ejection.

I haven't shot them enough to comment on durability, but haven't had any problems (probably less than a thousand rounds thru each).

You won't be head shooting grouse at any distance with the 1 7/8" -- shouldn't have any trouble with body shots at normal grouse ranges though.

Single action triggers are great -- double actions are necessarily heavy to ignite 22s.

Sight regulation could be a problem with the fixed sight 1 7/8" gun -- if not right from the factory not many options (it's a shrouded barrel so you can't clock the barrel).

FWIW,

Paul

I have a dash 3 that I have a love/hate relationship with. Yes, that's the post lock model. I love shooting the gun but detest the FO abortion S&W put on there instead of a decent front sight.

It's a serious trooper. I've put over 2000 rounds of various ammo through it with an occasional wipe down and one cleaning. It's a great little plinking revolver out to about 15 yards for me. I've given serious consideration to replacing the front sight with something a little more usable and keeping it in my little green bag of doom.

Trigger is pretty good for a J frame. The more it gets shot, the better it gets. Accuracy is good enough, see above regarding the sight. I put a set of Pachmayr Diamond Pro's on it just to have a little more grip. I picked mine up for under five bills but it has the lock so there's that.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I asked Claude Werner about his. He's had his for over 10 years and speculates he has over 10,000 rounds through it. If I had the juice and desire, I'd get it and shoot the crap out of it.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Just got rid of mine, it was kinda redundant in the collection, as I kept my 43c. I really had trouble seeing the silver front sight, tried painting it but still hard to see. Reliable. Accuracy is load dependent. It is weird. Each of my little .22’s have a preference from an ejection, and accuracy standpoint. Find one that ejects easily, fires reliably and is reasonably accurate to your point of aim, then buy a big box of ‘em.

Some brands would not allow the cylinder to turn after 3 or 4 rounds, and still others would require a firm rap on the ejector rod. I don’t know if they were larger rims that when heated the aluminum cyclinder would expand a bit and cause it to bind. That was an issue with a couple brands. I liked my little 317 plenty, but just decided I didn’t need both. It was a tough decision.

Good luck!

i have a 3” s&w 317 and a 2” ruger lcr. i may trade them both for a 3” ruger lcr-x. the 317 is lighter and more accurate than the lcr, but the former’s aluminum cylinder heat binds after 70 or so range rounds (this happened outdoors in freezing february), it’s a documented 317 problem. as an outdoors come-along piece the 317 also feels a bit fragile. no such problems with (shooting at least twice as many range rounds) the lcr. i really need to try a lcr-x.

User Tag List