Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: New sneakers for the Dick Special.

  1. #11
    Member Trooper224's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    S. Central Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Great Colt! Too bad it isnt going to work for you.

    A 1980s Agent adopted me, it came with the same style Pachs. I absolutely love them, and I'm not generally a Pach fan on most things. They are perfect on the D frame Colts. I pocket carry mine daily, in Carhartts and Bean jeans, they work fine with a speedloader in the same pocket to help keep the gun oriented in the pocket correctly. 2 speed strips fit in the watch pocket back to back nicely also.

    Bright orange nail polish works well on the front sight.

    Mine hits about an inch low and inch right at 15 yards, close enough for my use. I keep the first round up a birdshot in the summer, its always in my pocket around the yard and such, even if I have a belt gun on.

    Sniffing around the net, I have 2 full sets of spare internal parts for it, I'm set. I thought Id bob a hammer for it, but after getting used to putting my thumb behind the hammer when drawing it, I havent messed with the hammer grind and swap.
    When I bought it a few years ago my wife was with me. She said, "you won't be able to shoot that, it's too small." I told her, "I know, but it's cool." It will remain in the safe next to the minty Police Positive that never gets shot for the same reason. At ten yards, this one is good on elevation but about two inches left. I could make that work, but it offends the old bullseye shooter in me.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 11-07-2018 at 11:40 PM.
    Put your Big Boy pants on.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Southwest Pennsylvania
    At 10 yards mine is not bad, but the difference at 25 is incredible.

    When I used to carry mine, I went shooting with a friend who brought 3 bowling pins and a Ruger P89. After setting up the pins at 1015 yards and missing them with a magazine full of ammo, he invited me to give it a try. Fortunately the sun was well positioned not to reflect off the front sight (behind me is usually best). Aiming at the bottom of each pin, I knocked all 3 down with 3 shots total. Had the sun been in a different position, I would probably have emptied the gun at the pins with no effect.

    I had a local gunsmith put an orange epoxy insert in my front sight. It helps a little, but not really enough.

    The agent is likely better since the bead blasted finish is likely much better at keeping the sight visible if it is not painted.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    Member Trooper224's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    S. Central Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    At 10 yards mine is not bad, but the difference at 25 is incredible.

    When I used to carry mine, I went shooting with a friend who brought 3 bowling pins and a Ruger P89. After setting up the pins at 1015 yards and missing them with a magazine full of ammo, he invited me to give it a try. Fortunately the sun was well positioned not to reflect off the front sight (behind me is usually best). Aiming at the bottom of each pin, I knocked all 3 down with 3 shots total. Had the sun been in a different position, I would probably have emptied the gun at the pins with no effect.

    I had a local gunsmith put an orange epoxy insert in my front sight. It helps a little, but not really enough.

    The agent is likely better since the bead blasted finish is likely much better at keeping the sight visible if it is not painted.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My results at ten yards were such that I didn't even bother to take it out to twenty five. A guns accuracy performance at twenty five yards is one of my defining standards for a carry gun. I could tell there was no point in wasting ammunition.
    Put your Big Boy pants on.

  4. #14
    advanced hobbyist fatdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Central Alabama
    Many of the silver Colt medallion (always two piece) D frame grips like you appear to have are much lighter in actual weight than the same dimension Pachmyr's with the gold medallion. The ones I have encountered with the silver medallion were actually made by a defunct group in NC, not Pachmyer although it is impossible to tell them apart from the outside. I really prefer those when I can find them.

    Great find and I bet they work well for you.

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Southwest Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    My results at ten yards were such that I didn't even bother to take it out to twenty five. A guns accuracy performance at twenty five yards is one of my defining standards for a carry gun. I could tell there was no point in wasting ammunition.
    My results at 25 yards with mine are not what I would proudly post here, to say the least. Trying to aim 13 below what I want to hit complicates the issues already present with the short sight radius and terrible front sight.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    OH - Original Hipster RevolverRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    South Side of Chiraq
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Well, the new grips helped a bit, but not enough. I still pull the shots off to the left and the trigger still pinches the shit out of my trigger finger. It looks like this one will stay on the "ain't it cool" vintage shelf in the safe. In all honesty, that's not a real heartbreak. It's in really nice shape and I was hesitant to trash the finish by making it a routine carry piece.
    Ahh so, you suffer from the problem many people do with a D-Frame, not enough flare at the palm end of the grips.

    The two best D-Frame grips ever made aren't made anymore (the current VZs for the new gen Cobras are close to as good as the old ones, but don't fit the old guns...).

    The Fitz Ten-O were basically mass-produced, bakelite, copies of generally medium sized Ropers (see pic). Which are by far, the best shooting grips ever made for a D-Frame, except maybe actual Ropers, and like actual Ropers they are almost impossible to find and the bakelite isn't super durable. The set I have below never sees much shooting time, because it took me five years to find these. I really need to send them to a grip maker and have them re-made in micarta or wood, I keep threatening to laser scan them and have a bunch 3D printed or CNCed out of micarta or G10. Which I was going to do when the New Cobra came out, except Colt changed the dimensions 'enough' that old and new grips won't interchange, so there wasn't much point.

    The second best grips were made by Colt - these. Unlike the common D-Frame grips of this type (with checkering), these smooth grips flare out at the base half-again as much as their brethren. These plus a T-Grip make for one of the best shooting and feeling combinations out there. I try to buy every set I find of these at a decent price, simply because they are pretty rare. Typically, they are found on 3rd issue Detectives and 2nd Issue Agents, but a lot of those guns also came with the square butt-type semi-boot grip (which is hot garbage in my hands, but to others is a dream).
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    I've been killt' in da' streetz so many times, it's a wonder I'm still alive.

  7. #17
    100% Retro Hambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In a dark alley with my P-F rape whistle
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Picked up an old pair of Colt branded Pachs for the Detective Special. I threw up in my mouth a little at the price, but they were mint on card. The wood grips are classic, but just too small for me. These make this one shootable. It might be my EDC post-retirement.

    I don't know what is about those grips on a DS, but they make it look perfect.
    You can never beat a monkey in a poo flinging contest.

  8. #18
    Site Supporter LtDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central AZ
    Those Fitz grips are really nice. Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to find a pair of the old Fitz plastic/bakelite grips that haven't warped to one degree or another. I'd love to have some in wood. I know Fitz made some of their target grips in wood, but I haven't seen any of the "combat" styles in wood.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

  9. #19
    Hillbilly Elitist Malamute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northern Rockies
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    When I bought it a few years ago my wife was with me. She said, "you won't be able to shoot that, it's too small." I told her, "I know, but it's cool." It will remain in the safe next to the minty Police Positive that never gets shot for the same reason. At ten yards, this one is good on elevation but about two inches left. I could make that work, but it offends the old bullseye shooter in me.
    Have you tried the Herretts on it?

  10. #20
    Member Trooper224's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    S. Central Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Have you tried the Herretts on it?
    No, I haven't. I think I've experimented with this one as much as I care to. It's gone back into the collectable section of the safe, which is probably best.
    Put your Big Boy pants on.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TLG 1970–2016 RIPRampageForTheCure.org