Thread: Recommend: Defensive-Oriented Shotgun Smith for old Winchester

Recommend: Defensive-Oriented Shotgun Smith for old Winchester

As the title suggests, I need recommendations for a shotgun smith who works on older Winchesters. Specifically, I have a Winchester M25 (solid frame, non-takedown version of the M12) I got from my dad. He bought the gun ~20 years ago and never shot it. I have no connection to it as a hunting gun, so to me, it would be more useful as a defensive oriented gun. Something I would actually take to a shotgun class and to the range. Thus, I need a good smith to shorten the barrel from 26" to 18.5", thread it for chokes, and install a bead.

It appears that Vang doesn't work on Winchesters of this age. Robar isn't taking shotgun work outside of packages. Wilson is all Remingtons. Best I've found so far is Briley and the cost is pretty high (about 300 bucks to thread for chokes, without any tubes). Any other potentials to consider?

Site Supporter
    I would leave the Winchester alone and just get an 870 police trade in. Then build it up as you please. If you just wanted to chop the barrel and put a bead on it for at home I would understand; but taking it to a class is just asking for small parts breakage.

Site Supporter
    Check gunbroker. There are many 870 police shotguns to pick from. I just bought a beat up 870 police with a surefire forearm and a side saddle for $229. Name:  1D08EDD3-43D1-4D96-8F2D-4DABE03AAD61.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  41.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I would leave the Winchester alone and just get an 870 police trade in. Then build it up as you please. If you just wanted to chop the barrel and put a bead on it for at home I would understand; but taking it to a class is just asking for small parts breakage.
    Fair point on small parts breakage. Though the M25 is identical to the Model 12, except for the fact that it doesn't take down (which actually makes a bit more robust than an M12). This also means that all the small parts are available.

In terms of 870s - I have three 870s in the safe currently (two 12-gauge Ps, and a 20-gauge Youth) all setup for defensive work. And plans to acquire at least one (probably two) Beretta 1301Ts in the near future. So, this would be a shotgun that is way down on the list for actual defensive and training purposes. That said I have exactly zero use for a 12-gauge with a barrel longer than 22", because I don't hunt duck or turkey and when I hunt upland birds or dove it's with a 20-gauge double.

In other words, it's a safe decoration with the 26 (or 28" I can't remember) long barrel that I never use. It could be a safe decoration that I occasionally use with a shorter barrel, which would make it more valuable to me (since I'm not in the habit of getting rid of guns, it's unlikely to ever leave my possession until I'm dead or one of the nephews specifically asks for it).

Besides, it's got a corn cob fore-end and a decent but not super nice stock. I'm thinking cut back to 18.5" and fitted with a screw-in adjustable compensated choke (like a Poly-Choke II) would make it an awesome mate to my 1930s vintage Colt Police Positive. I could get real old school and do a Cutts-type setup...

Site Supporter
    So your saying I went on gunbroker and impulse bought an 870 police for no reason? I’m ok with that

Some years ago (possibly 2 decades) these guys did the work you describe for me, but they were in Selma, AL at the time and have since moved to the Mobile area, no idea who owns or runs it now.

Their thin wall designs would work in older shotguns and they would cut and thread the barrel if you sent it (and bought a full set of 5 chokes) back when I dealt with them. Probably worth a phone call.

http://www.colonialchokeandtool.com/

User Tag List