Thread: Jump Rope

Hammertime

Jump Rope

Listening to JJ Racaza on a shooting podcast, he told a story of how he went to a "speed camp" with a bunch of other sprinty type folks. As part of their training they had them jump rope 10 min a day.

I don't do a lot of PT that emphasizes sproinginess, and at age 49 have seen a little of my jump type speed go away, so I thought what the heck, I'll try it. I ordered some vinyl jump ropes from Amazon.

So, I have been jumping rope as a 5 min cardioish finisher after weight days.

What have I noticed:
    I suck so badly. It has taken a few weeks to get up to 100 reps straight.
    100 reps maybe 150 and I am done, at least for that set. 500 total in a session is plenty.
    It's kind of fun. Certainly way more fun than a rower or treadmill.

Anyone Jump Rope and care to share tips/tricks?

I think jumping rope is good exercise. Just make sure you have a good quality rope (something with weight) and make sure it is the right size for you. Everlast leather ropes always worked well for me. I always liked doing it to music so I could develop a rhythm.

Folks with high mileage knees or ankles might benefit from a floor or surface that is slightly softer and forgiving.

I've jumped rope on and off since I boxed in my teens. I've discovered that concrete is not forgiving.
    Last edited by Mark D; 11-06-2018 at 05:21 PM.

I used to buy cheap jump ropes from buyjumpropes.net after I got a pair of ball bearing handles from them, I haven't looked back. I do like the jump ropes that are separate handles with trim to fit cord. Ball bearing handles and 3/32" coated cable makes jumping ridiculously easy, the wrist action is light and controlling the cable's speed in a breeze. I also like heavy ropes for warm ups.

It doesn't hurt to some anterior shin muscle work to balance out the jumping.

Edited: I still suck at double-unders but the with the ball bearing handles I can at least hit a few in a row, with the cheap handles it's just wasn't happening
    Last edited by txdpd; 11-06-2018 at 07:24 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I’ve done quite a bit with boxing, its an essential exercise. Would usually do 3x 2 or 3 minute rounds for warm up. Get the right rope and length for you. Stand on the middle and both handles should roughly reach your arm pits. Keep at it. When I have been out of the gym for a long time, jump rope is always rough the first week and then comes back.

User Tag List