Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife Use in an Entanglement

This video is for me, a seminal moment. It opened my eyes to the use of the small fixed blade as nothing before never has. As someone for whom an unprovoked attack is a reasonably foreseeable circumstance, this could save my life.

Thanks, Cecil.

Site Supporter
    Very interesting! Thanks!

I have some naive questions. Does the belt placement of the knife have some risk of negative social consequences from being spotted by whomever. In my past sedate work environment, I could see somebody making a deal of it. My limiting knife training was Defensive Folding Knife with Insights and Defensive Knife Overview – Chuck Rives. In both we used Delica type training folders in pockets. The first course led me to carry one on each side. In practice with Insights, I did manage to get Steve Moses off of me with reaching for a folder. That was a long time ago.

At matches, with a touch of COS play, guys have forward belt knives but if I wore them to work (retired now), it might bring looks. I only got called on the Delica by a student from South East Asia who was into knife culture. A fellow faculty member was a SEAL (yes, for real), had a real deal folder and we compared.

So are the pocket folders really behind the curve now? Excuse my naivety from a FOG. I don't know if my wife would let me out of the house, if I had a visible knife, she tries to dress me like a 'normal' human. The folders she knows about and appreciates as we use them to open things.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

I have some naive questions. Does the belt placement of the knife have some risk of negative social consequences from being spotted by whomever. In my past sedate work environment, I could see somebody making a deal of it. My limiting knife training was Defensive Folding Knife with Insights and Defensive Knife Overview – Chuck Rives. In both we used Delica type training folders in pockets. The first course led me to carry one on each side. In practice with Insights, I did manage to get Steve Moses off of me with reaching for a folder. That was a long time ago.

At matches, with a touch of COS play, guys have forward belt knives but if I wore them to work (retired now), it might bring looks. I only got called on the Delica by a student from South East Asia who was into knife culture. A fellow faculty member was a SEAL (yes, for real), had a real deal folder and we compared.

So are the pocket folders really behind the curve now? Excuse my naivety from a FOG. I don't know if my wife would let me out of the house, if I had a visible knife, she tries to dress me like a 'normal' human. The folders she knows about and appreciates as we use them to open things.
    IMHO, the first thing to do is explore your state and local knife laws. Is it legal for you to carry a sheathed fixed blade knife? If so, must it be openly carried, or can you conceal it? If not, is the locking blade folder legal? Must it be carried openly, or concealed? Is there a size limit? If you are restricted to folders, is there a restriction on action type?

Once you have established those parameters, then you can get lost in the weeds as to specific knives to your heart and wallet’s content.

Where I live, and the work I do, a folding knife of limited dimensions is about all I can get away with. I usually have a Delica or Sage, and an SAK executive, and a Surefire 6P LED. I am tempted by the clinch pick. Especially with the video Cecil posted, I can see the utility of it. But I’m not sure a school administrator is going to like his/her counselor (after I graduate in May) or intern packing that kind of stabby tool around the kids. I had a couple of them not excited to have me carry the Delica back when I was teaching.

In some states, any fixed blade knife carry has to have reasonable justification as a tool - like, when hunting, camping, for work, etc.

I’ll note that I have 2CPs: a BT set up per doctrine, and a china—set up sub-optimally—for possible NPE use. FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’ll note that I have 2CPs: a BT set up per doctrine, and a china—set up sub-optimally—for possible NPE use. FWIW.
    Can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Can you elaborate?
    Caveat: I have a solid grappling arts background, but am out of practice, and never did much in the way or grappling + knives. I like the CP concept though, in the off situation where someone trained like me but younger, stronger, bigger or better trained gets ahold of me!

I have played with a few positions, and vary them depending on my firearm carry position.

If I go out, I cary AIWB and move the CP to the opposite size, forward of the hip, handle down and pointed toward my zipper. I like it better on my strong side, but the gun is in the way, and I only have one sheath. I can slip the handle under my belt if I want to go lower-profile, but this is less comfortble.

If I’m at home, which is most of the time as I work from home, I carry OWB and carry the CP appendix with handle own and facing away from my zipper. Ideally (I thinkl) the handle would point in towards my zipper.

If I wanted to be lower profile still, yet sub-optimal, I have played with the handle above the belt line, nd more esily tucked behind the belt. Mo=y concern is that this would be a lot less accessible in my time of need.

I DO NOT want to be interpreted as any type of authority here - I’m just trying to figure it out.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Thanks, Cecil.

Hmm, coming soon to an equipment exchange near you, a Colonel Blade.
    I wouldn’t necessarily do that. Just wrap your hand around it and don’t put your fingers through the hole. It seems to be decent outside of the ring, and you already have it. May as well use it,
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

I always have the knife covered by a garment. No one sees it so I have yet to have any negative social consequences. If I cannot conceal it on my belt, it goes on a pocket shield. Not as good, but still reasonablely accessible.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I always have the knife covered by a garment. No one sees it so I have yet to have any negative social consequences. If I cannot conceal it on my belt, it goes on a pocket shield. Not as good, but still reasonablely accessible.
    Cecil, for folks who live in paces where concealed fixed blades are illegal, have you found any satisfactory alternatives? A folder carried on the centerline perhaps? Or folders in both front pockets? I'd appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Cecil, for folks who live in paces where concealed fixed blades are illegal, have you found any satisfactory alternatives? A folder carried on the centerline perhaps? Or folders in both front pockets? I'd appreciate your input.
    To follow on this: what about carrying a locked open folder in a sheathe? Does anyone make purpose built sheathes like that?

Does the idea have any merit?

User Tag List