Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: Knife Use in an Entanglement

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by spelingmastir View Post
    Do you carry vertically or horizontally on a belt and why?
    If I can carry on the belt, I carry the clinchpick in the manner it was designed to be run - handle diagonal downward and in towards centerline
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Any thoughts on the Colonel style Knife? And "finger hole" knives generally?

    They would seem secure during in fight access.

    I avoid finger hole knives like the plague. Any negative pressure against it and you stand a strong chance of degloving fingers.

    The Colonel knife seems like an expensive version of the TDI knife if you ignore the stupid and needless finger holes. Probably as useful as the TDI (which is excellent) for a lot more money.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    If I can carry on the belt, I carry the clinchpick in the manner it was designed to be run - handle diagonal downward and in towards centerline
    How about push daggers?

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by spelingmastir View Post
    How about push daggers?
    I donít carry PDs on the belt. As I said earlier in the thread, they cannot be set up for equal access with either hand without great contortions so - to ME - their utility is far second to the CP.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

  5. #25
    OH - Original Hipster RevolverRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    South Side of Chiraq
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I avoid finger hole knives like the plague. Any negative pressure against it and you stand a strong chance of degloving fingers.

    The Colonel knife seems like an expensive version of the TDI knife if you ignore the stupid and needless finger holes. Probably as useful as the TDI (which is excellent) for a lot more money.
    Not an expert by any means, but in my limited experience, finger holes also limit the knife to the hand it is drawn with and the ability to hand switch becomes highly limited. Some will argue that hand switching "isn't a feasible technique under pressure". I disagree, I've done it in training enough times, seen it done enough times in training environments, and seen enough real world videos to know that it is quite possible to hand switch a knife when entangled, to not be interested in blades that limit me in that realm.

    Which also makes me reticent to switch to a PD in many instances, though carrying two push daggers (one for each hand) has some merit as an approach.

    That said, a CP carried in the traditional position, a folder with a wave opener in the strong hand pocket (particularly setup like the P'Kal), and an appendix carried handgun - allow amazingly fast, multi-hand access when necessary, even when FUT, and give you a full range of lethal options from the gate.
    I've been killt' in da' streetz so many times, it's a wonder I'm still alive.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Some will argue that hand switching "isn't a feasible technique under pressure". I disagree, I've done it in training enough times, seen it done enough times in training environments, and seen enough real world videos to know that it is quite possible to hand switch a knife when entangled, to not be interested in blades that limit me in that realm.
    Agreed. In EWO Craig referenced video footage of an untrained woman stabbing a taxi driver. According to Craig, she switched hands repeatedly to defeat her victim's attempt to defend himself. I think hand switching is fairly intuitive.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Which also makes me reticent to switch to a PD in many instances, though carrying two push daggers (one for each hand) has some merit as an approach.

    I have done that. I don't think it works that well. The PD is not particularly versatile. It really is configured to be used only one way with any degree of usefulness, and committed to carrying two of them on the belt generally leads to compromise in other things you can carry, and I personally don't think the utility is justifiable. I do think if you do the two PD carry, then one or both should be carried in the pocket to free up belt space for other things that may give a better bang for the buck. I like the PD in the weak hand carry position. You basically jab with it, which usually does not produce a ton of results empty handed, but becomes incredibly potent with a sharp metal stabby thing in place of the knuckles. Carrying it strong hand does not seem to produce much greater affect, so for me it is a good idea to strengthen what is already a weak technique.


    That said, a CP carried in the traditional position, a folder with a wave opener in the strong hand pocket (particularly setup like the P'Kal), and an appendix carried handgun - allow amazingly fast, multi-hand access when necessary, even when FUT, and give you a full range of lethal options from the gate.
    I prefer the folder (waved or not) to be in the weak hand pocket. You already have two options for strong hand use - CP and pistol - and only one with the weak - the CP - so adding some equality seems to work pretty well in my experience.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 11-08-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

  8. #28
    I concur. I had a classmate who was attacked in his car and when he secured the aggressor's knife hand, the assailant actually tossed it (not just passed it off) into his left hand and continued the attack.

  9. #29
    Member LHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Behind that cactus
    Out of curiosity, does anyone make a clip-on sheath for a CP at that downward angle? Most of the gym shorts scabbards I've seen have the handle at the 12:00 position. I'd like to replicate my belt-mounted CP position when wearing sweats or gym shorts.
    Last edited by LHS; 11-08-2018 at 09:39 PM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Out of curiosity, does anyone make a clip-on sheath for a CP at that downward angle? Most of the gym shorts scabbards I've seen has the handle at the 12:00 position. I'd like to replicate my belt-mounted CP position when wearing sweats or gym shorts.
    Keepers Concealment
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TLG 1970–2016 RIPRampageForTheCure.org