Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunsite Precision Rifle 7

Gunsite Precision Rifle 7

My wife are pretty comfortable in the 0-400 yard hunting envelope, and have harvested many animals out to 450 yards over the past three decades of hunting. We have decided to expand our knowledge, and hopefully our distance envelope, by enrolling in Gunsite’s Precision Rifle 7 class next April.

https://www.gunsite.com/classes/precision-rifle-7-2/

Cory Trapp will be the lead instructor for the course. I have known him many years, and had a preliminary discussion with him on appropriate gear to get the most out of the class. I asked about caliber, and 6.5 specifically, and he said that 6.5 simplified many things, but we would learn more and have to work harder with a .308. The easy choice was a Ruger RPR, but that won’t work for my left handed wife, and those rifles have never really appealed to me. Tentatively, we are planning on each bringing a Tikka T3X TAC A1 in .308, probably in the 24 inch barrel length, as that is offered in right and left hand, and should simplify the math since we will be shooting together. 175 grain is the recommended ammo.

The course is based around mils not minutes, and Cory recommended both a mil scope and spotting scope. We are considering a Leupold,spotting scope with a TMR, like this.

https://www.leupold.com/reticles/ret...ing-reticle-51

Still evaluating scopes, but a Kahles 5-25 like this seems interesting. Need to ping CS Tactical.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Kahles-K52...RSW-10644.aspx
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Sounds like fun and a great skill building opportunity. I have tried long range shooting recently and agree that 6.5 Creedmoor is “easier”. Also agree that with 308 go with 175 grain bullets.

I am a long range newbie, but I was able to hit targets at 1200 yards with my Bergara HMR 6.5 Creedmoor with 140s but my Rem 700 in 308 with 20 inch barrel with 168s went transonic at about 800 yards in SW Georgia.

Look forward to class AAR

Good choice on the Tikka, wish I'd known that you were in the market for this sort of class, would have sent you to my brother.
    #RESIST

That should be a fantastic class. A few years ago I took a Foreign Weapons Orientation course for work at Gunsite that was lead by Cory. He is a great guy with boundless knowledge...and plenty of interesting stories!

Quote Originally Posted by martinmj View Post
    That should be a fantastic class. A few years ago I took a Foreign Weapons Orientation course for work at Gunsite that was lead by Cory. He is a great guy with boundless knowledge...and plenty of interesting stories!
    I also took the foreign weapons class with Cory, and somewhere have a photo of me with an RPG!

The Gunsite facility is extraordinary for a class like this.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I also took the foreign weapons class with Cory, and somewhere have a photo of me with an RPG!

The Gunsite facility is extraordinary for a class like this.
    Couldn't find my RPG stuff, but here's a shot of Cory and a few of the toys we played with...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Sounds like you and the Mrs. will have a very educational experience at one of the world's best facilities. Enjoy!

Many moons ago, I shot a Sundog Shooter's Match while visiting AZ. My squad was Chris Dwiggins (RIP), Jeff Gonzales, and Cory. It was definitely a time for Shepard's prayer.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Many moons ago, I shot a Sundog Shooter's Match while visiting AZ. My squad was Chris Dwiggins (RIP), Jeff Gonzales, and Cory. It was definitely a time for Shepard's prayer.
    I say that exact same profundity every time I attend a class.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife are pretty comfortable in the 0-400 yard hunting envelope, and have harvested many animals out to 450 yards over the past three decades of hunting. We have decided to expand our knowledge, and hopefully our distance envelope, by enrolling in Gunsite’s Precision Rifle 7 class next April.

https://www.gunsite.com/classes/precision-rifle-7-2/

Cory Trapp will be the lead instructor for the course. I have known him many years, and had a preliminary discussion with him on appropriate gear to get the most out of the class. I asked about caliber, and 6.5 specifically, and he said that 6.5 simplified many things, but we would learn more and have to work harder with a .308. The easy choice was a Ruger RPR, but that won’t work for my left handed wife, and those rifles have never really appealed to me. Tentatively, we are planning on each bringing a Tikka T3X TAC A1 in .308, probably in the 24 inch barrel length, as that is offered in right and left hand, and should simplify the math since we will be shooting together. 175 grain is the recommended ammo.

The course is based around mils not minutes, and Cory recommended both a mil scope and spotting scope. We are considering a Leupold,spotting scope with a TMR, like this.

https://www.leupold.com/reticles/ret...ing-reticle-51

Still evaluating scopes, but a Kahles 5-25 like this seems interesting. Need to ping CS Tactical.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Kahles-K52...RSW-10644.aspx
    I have a Tikka CTR T3X, has an aftermarket stock now, but with the factory stock I was getting 2.5” groups at 400yds with Hornady ELD match ammo. A $10 “Yo Dave” Tikka trigger spring will get you a fantastic trigger. Still have a photo of the group.

Good luck in the class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List