Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sporting Shotgun Input Please

Perfect thread for this: a friend asked me yesterday if I knew the current reputation for the Benelli M2 20g. He's looking to pick up a couple for sport shooting with his wife and son. Good to go or should he be looking at Berettas?

Many thanks in advance, I know jack shite about sporting shotties.

Shotgun recoil is fairly easily tamed with proper 1) gun fit and 2) ammo selection.

Site Supporter
    I am not active in clay targets sports currently; however, when I was active the majority of high volume clays shooters used OU or semiauto - those that used semiauto almost always used gas operated systems. I know the Benelli has some competition clays semis with various recoil reducing options but they were pricey.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A consideration is how much you might hunt around dogs. Nobody is hunting around my dog with a semi auto — either a side by or over under, with the action open until the dog has a bird on point.

George, no one wants to hear about your hunt with Dick Cheney.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A consideration is how much you might hunt around dogs. Nobody is hunting around my dog with a semi auto — either a side by or over under, with the action open until the dog has a bird on point.
    Guns kept pointed up and no one shoots anything not above your head, definitely nothing off the ground. I'm a fair weather (casual) upland hunter, but that's how we do it. Also, we don't use pointers so that necessitates differences.
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 11-07-2018 at 09:10 AM.

One point that has not been mentioned yet, and you may already know, but in most hunting of (migratory?) game birds, state hunting laws limit the on-board capacity of shotguns to 3 rounds...including the chamber. So, if you were to use your defensive/do everything shotgun, you would need to use a magazine plug to limit capacity to 2 rounds whenever you ventured afield. I believe that this is one reason for the popularity of O/U guns, their other attributes aside. No way to run afoul of the game wardens...they do not accept "Oops, I forgot." Just something to consider.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

The Beretta semis are good all'round guns for game or sporting. I would go 12ga. Can always use light loads. If O/U is for clays go with the 12ga , 30 in bbls. In particular I would stay away from the red label and 101. The ones I had always kicked more with me. Browning and Beretta are solid favorites and any of the Browning '25 series work well.

Very happy with my Benelli Ethos. 12g. Cycles everything and shoots fast and soft.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Every time I looked at the price of a Benelli barrel, I just bought another Benelli.
    The is the reason I have a spare 26” vent rib barrel for my M-1 is CDNN had them on clearance back in the day for a fraction of what they normally go for.

Site Supporter
    The op mentioned two young sons. For them I suggest 20 gauge shotguns because the frames are smaller and weight is less. Lighter 20 ga loads will reduce recoil. Yildiz sold by Academy Sports makes a youth model O/U for much less than one can buy a semi auto. The famous Briley in Houston performs warranty service on these. Perhaps Revolver Rob can chime in here. He used to sell them. The safety advantage of a break action o/u or sxs reigns supreme. For that reason I would select this style with young shooters today. The Yildiz shotguns are bargains.

User Tag List