Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed Shotgun article from..2001!

Speed Shotgun article from..2001!

Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Really awesome article. I was surprised to learn the Browning Auto-5 (and I assume, the Remington Model 11) cycled faster than the 1100 and the Benelli. The long recoil action would seem to need to move more mass than the modern guns and be slower. But test data trumps thought.

The Remington 11 would still seem like a decent choice as magazine tubes are available. Recoil might be an issue, but the gun would run.

@P.E. Kelley

Thanks so much for sharing that. Tons of good info there! I outran one of my former M1's in a match as a new competitor and when I talked to guys about it, Romero was the only one who believed me. Everyone else told me it was impossible. The stage involved 5 poppers in a row, so easy to make quick transitions. Rob said something about putting a 20lb wolf action spring with 12 coils cut off in the gun, but I never tried it.

Since most are back to shooting Benelli, is the milling of the carrier to reduce weight really the answer to increasing the cycle speed?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

It is "bolt bounce" that is the root cause. Out running can be a .16 split or a .12 split.
    The gun cycles fast, just that the bolt bounces out of battery far enough to have the hammer
    fall onto the back of the bolt and not fire (good thing)

So the lightening that is done is no where near enough to help and in fact could create more problems than it can solve.

Watch my video on How it works, Inertia Gun.
    Last edited by P.E. Kelley; 10-18-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    It is "bolt bounce" that is the root cause. Out running can be a .16 split or a .12 split.
    The cycles fast, just that the bolt bounces out of battery far enough to have the hammer

So the lightening that is done is no where near enough to help and in fact could create more problems than it can solve.

Ok, just finished the video. So then what is the answer? Just shoot slower than .13 splits all the time? Heavier bolt? (can you get a "speed bolt" for an M2?)

On a separate note: is there a daily rate available for a "range day with Pat" if I load up my Benelli and drive to Washington?
    Last edited by ASH556; 10-18-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Ok, just finished the video. So then what is the answer? Just shoot slower than .13 splits all the time? Heavier bolt? (can you get a "speed bolt" for an M2?)

On a separate note: is there a daily rate available for a "range day with Pat" if I load up my Benelli and drive to Washington?
    VERY rare to have bolt bounce create a problem at a match, but you have experienced it as have I, but
    I don't worry about it.

When my current situation comes to a close, I will begin teaching again.

VERY rare to have bolt bounce create a problem at a match, but you have experienced it as have I, but
    I don't worry about it.

When my current situation comes to a close, I will begin teaching again.
    Thanks for the article.

You and yours remain in my prayers.

-Cory

Great article.

I put together an 11-87 w a 26” barrel and Choate extension in the late 90s that holds 10+1 and runs most of the time if I keep it lubed and replace the gas seals when I think of it. I dragged it to a bowling pin match a couple of years ago and impressed the locals. I think I spent $30 in ammo to win $10.

The gun cycles fast, just that the bolt bounces out of battery far enough to have the hammer

Slow motion video of said bolt-bounce. 100% OEM operating system on my M4 SBS using LE13200

As always, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with us, Mr Kelley. It is greatly appreciated.

User Tag List