Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sporting Shotgun Input Please

My current state of mind would not let me fully digest the OP, but what is wrong with the 21" M2?

Barrel length does not = long range killing power. Sight radius matters not as
    the good wingshot looks at the object to be taken, not the "sights"

Not to pat (Pat) on the back, but I set a course record for 5-Stand (Rio Salado) with my
    3gun shotgun...a 21" M2.

Now if you WANT something cool, please get an O/U...while you said you don't care for them,
    your back will like not having to police empty hulls.

I would contact August M Crocker Fine Guns for his excellent service, guidance and
    pricing on a nice O/U.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    My current state of mind would not let me fully digest the OP, but what is wrong with the 21" M2?

Barrel length does not = long range killing power. Sight radius matters not as
    the good wingshot looks at the object to be taken, not the "sights"

Not to pat (Pat) on the back, but I set a course record for 5-Stand (Rio Salado) with my
    3gun shotgun...a 21" M2.

Now if you WANT something cool, please get an O/U...while you said you don't care for them,
    your back will like not having to police empty hulls.

I would contact August M Crocker Fine Guns for his excellent service, guidance and
    pricing on a nice O/U.
    Mr. Kelley,
    thank you again for taking the time to offer you valuable insight. I pray peace for your situation.

To answer your question of "what's wrong with the M2?" Nothing. Based on my performance on clays and birds, the gun is fine.

Perhaps it's a flaw of mine, but unless it's a situation where I have utmost confidence, I prefer to "fit in." In other words, I don't want to be wearing the Hawaiian shirt at the black tie dinner. I value certain elements of time and tradition and am not much of a Rebel by nature.

That said, if the man with the dogs tells me I've got the wrong gun for the sport, I listen. Reality is, I accounted for more bagged birds than anyone in our group and that was even with sandbagging to try and let the others have a fair shot.

I don't NEED another gun, and I probably won't get one soon. However, I do WANT a Benelli Legacy in 20ga very badly. And a matching one in 28 would be nice. And an O/U for games so I don't have to pick up hulls (but isn't that what a MOJO pick stick is for? )

I do have one other question on fitting the gun, though. I was attempting to pattern my gun with the various factory chokes and honestly I didn't have the right equipment in terms of enough target paper to do it and after the 2nd or 3rd shot couldn't tell what was what. ANYWAY, my POI is high. I'm laying the bead flat on the rib as best my eye can see and aiming at the red dot on the paper plate and most of the shot is high. This pattern maintained with various chokes as well as with slugs. I have the factory shims, but which way do I need to go to drop to more of a 50/50 pattern?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ASH556; 11-09-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

To wit.

THIS is a very nice catch. Vintage craftsmanship, properly choked and priced well.
    DAMN I do not need this, but I want the hell out of it!

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...c4Pq8pqxuBjPrE

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Perhaps it's a flaw of mine, but unless it's a situation where I have utmost confidence, I prefer to "fit in."
    That said, if the man with the dogs tells me I've got the wrong gun for the sport, I listen.
    I know what ya mean, when starting something new is when we all (most of us, anyway) do not want to be the odd man out and be under additional scrutiny. That said, it seems to me like shotgun sports participants tend to be even more biased than most. If you have something different than they have they will say YOU have the wrong thing.
    I don't NEED another gun, and I probably won't get one soon. However, I do WANT a Benelli Legacy in 20ga very badly. And a matching one in 28 would be nice. And an O/U for games so I don't have to pick up hulls
    We all want another gun
    But if what you want is a traditional gun not much out there that is more mainstream than a Remington. I shot thousands and thousands of targets with a cheapy 1100 Synthetic and when I got my first O/U I sold it to a buddy for probably $150 less than I paid for it. And I think the bunch of "us" tend to be gun snobs also and do not want anything ordinary, but you can start there and evolve. Something like this would cover a lotta bases:
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...hoke+Mod+Black
    And if/when you want something else selling it would be like selling a second hand landscape trailer, everybody wants one.

But eventually you will want an O/U, especially if you start doing some higher volume, and shotgunning seems to foster some pretty high volume (it is fun!). Another part not mentioned is maintaining a gas gun. I was probably doing 300 rounds a week and having to detail strip the 1100 about once a month. I know more modern gas guns (like my Beretta) do better, but the O/U pretty much blows all the dirt right down the barrel.

I guess I am just full of.... ideas!

I do WANT a Benelli Legacy in 20ga very badly. And a matching one in 28 would be nice. And an O/U for games so I don't have to pick up hulls
    As was mentioned, the O/U is just not good for games. Might not want to drag one around a duck blind (I would presume, no waterfoul experience) but they are great for birds too. I would venture if you get a nice O/U and shoot it a bunch on targets you will want to use it for hunting. And you can get several 20/28 sets. The auto is a good gateway drug...

I appreciate all the conversation here and I think I want to take it it a bit of a different direction for a second:

After much thinking, reading, and soul-searching, I think what I really want is a "Grandpa gun." Something old school cool that still turns heads and is a good all-around gun.

For now, I'm looking at Browning A5's. As I mentioned in the OP, my BIL has a Belgian Browning A5 Light 20 that he let me shoot. Sweet gun! Of course, everyone's heard of the Sweet Sixteen.

So, in the A5 catalog, what do I need to know?
    1. Is Belgian definitely the way to go?
    2. 20 ga vs 16 ga
    3. What does "light" mean in terms of gun configuration (materials, barrel length, rib, choke)?
    4. Preferred barrel length and choke?

This isn't something I'm looking to go out and buy (I don't know that I even could if I wanted to). This is about learning what I need to look for as I enjoy "the hunt" through pawn shops and used racks over the coming months/years.

It's kind of like, I know kind of what I want, but need to know the "gotcha's" too.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

For now, I'm looking at Browning A5's. As I mentioned in the OP, my BIL has a Belgian Browning A5 Light 20 that he let me shoot. Sweet gun! Of course, everyone's heard of the Sweet Sixteen.

2. 20 ga vs 16 ga
    3. What does "light" mean in terms of gun configuration (materials, barrel length, rib, choke)?

I know kind of what I want, but need to know the "gotcha's" too.
    IMO if you don't know you want a 16g, you do not want a 16g. you would be getting into snowflake stuff for not much differentiation. The standard load in 12g is 1-1/8oz, standard load in 16g is 1oz. It is easy to get a 12g shell that is 1oz, it is just not easy to get 16g shells.

When a gun is referred to as "light", in 20g that frequently means it is built on a smaller receiver than a 12g. That is another 16g consideration, not sure about the A5, but it is probably the same receiver as the 12g.

If you really want a 1oz load you can get that with 12g or 20g, pretty sure 16g you have the choice between 1oz or 1oz

User Tag List