Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sporting Shotgun Input Please

Sporting Shotgun Input Please

I'm decently familiar with the requirements of a defensive shotgun as well as those of a competitive 3gun shotgun. I'm all set there. This is a thread about sporting shotguns. I had the pleasure of a "Clays and Feathers" outing with some of the men in my family this past Saturday and while I've shot sporting clays several times before, this was my first bird hunt. I doubt I can afford to become addicted to shooting quail behind dogs, but I would like to expand my bird hunting opportunities.

Currently I have 2 what I'll call "legitimate" shotguns (meaning, not single-barrel 12 guages). They are a 21" Benelli M2 12ga field model, vent rib, threaded for chokes (and I have the full factory set). This is my 3gn/defensive (more theory/practice; a shotgun sits behind pistol and AR for my "go-to" stuff) gun. I would probably work well for turkey too. This is the gun I used for clays and feathers on Saturday and it worked fine for clays, Quail, Chukar, and Pheasant. The only shots I missed were longer ones pushing 50 yds and that's probably my fault for showing up with a Cylinder choke in the gun and forgetting to bring the rest of my chokes.

The other one I have is a .410 sxs. Great gun for squirrels and I'd imagine for rabbit too. I've heard of folks shooting Quail with a .410 SXS. Not sure how it'd do on Pheasants.

I have 2 young sons as well (currently 5 and 3).

All of this to say, I don't know super much about hunting shotguns, what "conventional wisdom" is, and not so many people bird hunt that I know to be able to ask. I'd like a gun that's reasonably "acceptable" for the occasional recreational clays game, as well as wing hunting with maybe some squirrel and rabbit thrown in. Basically a do-all shotgun that would work for my sons as well as a loaner if I should take a friend to shoot clays.

My thought was a 20ga automatic, 26" or 28" barrel, preferably threaded for chokes. Thinking along the lines of a Benelli Montefeltro, Remington 1100 (gas would keep recoil down) or maybe even a Browning A5. My BIL brought his dad's Belgian Browning Light 20 on the hunt and that was a fantastic gun to shoot.

I've also given some thought to a Browning Double Auto "Twentyweight." These guns have always intrigued me and there are a few on GB kinda cheap right now. Yeah, it's a 12ga though. Still...

Yet another thought is to pick up a 26 or 28" barrel for my M2. I got some grief from the guide about how quick I was swinging my "short barrel" even though it didn't cost me any birds. Maybe it's just a paradigm thing.

I will say that when participating in classic activities like shotgunning I prefer to be a traditionalist. In this case, I just don't know what that is. Finally, I'm not really a fan of O/U's. I realize that's pretty much the go-to for clays games, but I've shot some higher end Beretta's, Ruger Red Labels, a Browning Citori and a Winchester 101. They just don't do anything for me.

There's a part of me that really wants to just bite the bullet and pick up a 28ga Benelli Ethos.

Thanks for reading the rambling and any advice you can offer!

Pic from Sat:

Name:  A9C9905B-98CF-423C-9D86-BF5548912DAF.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  84.7 KB
    Name:  57EDE236-87C2-467A-BF45-2DBAF078FA8C.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  51.6 KB
    Last edited by ASH556; 11-05-2018 at 05:56 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Good on you for taking up another shooting sports discipline.

I shot skeet, clays and 5-Stand for 20-something years before turning to pistol. I learned with a 12g over/under, so I’m very biased. However, if your principle activity will be wing-shooting with only occasional clays shooting, I recommend a 20g shotgun, since you’ll be carrying considerably more than mounting & firing——the lighter weight will be appreciated while the 20g load will not represent much compromise. Definitely select changeable chokes. I wouldn’t recommend anything short of a 26” barrel.

I shoot skeet now and then with a 12g Browning over/under with 30” barrels, Improved Cylinder chokes, and 1oz loads. Soft shooting, yet the nearly 8-lb weight stabilizes my swing. Love it on crossing targets.

Enjoy.

ETA: shorter barrels point more quickly but can be “snappy” in that sense. Longer barrels are not as quick but they definitely enhance swing.
    Last edited by ubervic; 11-05-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    I was a very active Sporting Clays shooter - not so much last few years. I also shot dove and quail at any/every opportunity. First, I would stay away from 410 because shells are expensive and the payload is small. I would stay away from 28 gauge mostly because of the cost of those shells but one of my favorite shotguns is a Remington 1100 Sporting Clays in 28 gauge (bought for my wife , yeah) - 28 gauge punches way over its weight.

I would get a gas operated 12 or 20 gauge shotgun with no less than 26 inch barrel and preferably 28 inch - the gas operation will reduce recoil and 12/20 are available at "big box" stores. When they have the Dove and Quail loads on sale - load up on #7.5 and/or #8s . I was at a Bass Pro in middle GA during Dove season a few years ago and they had a super deal on shells with no limit so I loaded up the bed of the truck (had to go on a military base than night for an event - that was interesting when the MPs did a random search). I used to reload shotgun shells but cost of components went up so high I could not make the math work vs cheap promo shells. I do not think I ever missed a clay because the promo shells held me back.

I have great service from Rem 1100 20 and 28 gauge Sporting Clay shotguns. Beretta 391 30 inch Sporting Clays model and Browning Gold 30 inch Sporting Clays served me well ( and still in the safe) before the Browning 325 OU called. I sold a Beretta 390 Sporting Clays 30 inch 12 gauge to buy the OU - wish I had it back!

You live in Georgia - the Outdoors Trader (ODT.COM) has good deals on used shotguns. I am not the far in Canton if you ever want to look at my shotguns or find a rounds of clays.

I shoot skeet every week I can in the summer, and love my two over-unders, but a 12g (possibly 20g) auto is a great foundation for what you want to do.

You know, at the stage you are in you could probably just go get an 11-87 Synthetic and build your own knowledge base before choosing something nicer (or not...). If you ever want to transition away from it a lower cost gun is probably easier to find a buyer for.

IMO you will be good with either 12g or 20g but 12g would be a little more versatile. 20g would be easier to transition to your son(s). You could get yourself a 20g 11-87 and when your oldest grows old enough you could get a youth stock for it, when they get yet older you could put the adult stock back on.

Short barrels swing quicker, but they stop easier.

Or maybe get another Benelli (maybe in 20g?), since you already are in a groove there. The cost of a accessory barrel probably makes that plan sketchy.

As stated, no reason to reload (I do) unless you want something you can't buy easily or cheaply. I load 12g and 20g, just for skeet, with 3/4oz of #9, makes for a nice low recoil load. In reality it probably just means my math skills are lame.

This is one of those deals where it is probably hard to screw up, get a quality twelve or twenty and start busting clays and learning lessons.

A semi-auto with vent rib barrel should work.

I'm more familar with the hunting aspects than clay games. Honestly a semi auto works well for everything.

My turkey gun is a Mossberg 835 pump. I like the way it patterns with my turkey load... but. It's light weight to carry, but kicks like a mule. And a 3.5" shells offer little additional benefit to 3". I figured more lead in the air means better odds of taking a Tom. Bottom line, dont think like that. Accuracy and fieldcraft increase odds, not the size if your shot.

A decent semi auto would be preferable. They have a tad more weight to tame recoil, and are great for quick follow ups on game or clays. My 1187 has been used for both and did fine. Vent ribs with "snowman" sights. It takes some getting used to but those stacked beads become very intuitive and can be used to great effect. Make sure the barrel will handle heavy shot if you're going for Turkey. "Light contour barrel" on my 1187 means a barrel swap if I use it for Turkey.

I'd stick with 12G. Its everywhere. And i started with a heavyish 12G as a kid, so it shouldnt be too rough for introducing kids to shotguns. 20G isnt bad, but some 20G can actually be harsher when you're learning because of their light weight.

You want chokes. Period. They'll help dial in your load.

3 inch chamber. 2 3/4 is all youll shoot most of the time. But 3inch is nice sometimes when you're headed out into the woods. 3.5 mags are a bit overkill.

Basically I went for walks as a kid and peppered random things in the woods with various 12G loads. And then hunted with 12G. Turkey, grouse, squirrels, wood chucks, skunks, birds, whatever. Its probably not the smartest way to learn what works and doesnt, but it does the trick.

Its hard to go wrong because ahotguns are so much fun. Definitely get bead sights for flying targets though.

-Cory

Site Supporter
    My advice would be try before you buy...I had a friend with a 20 ga Beretta 391 auto that I tried at sporting clays. I missed damn near everything. Halfway through the round I switched to my wife's Beretta 686 O/U. I hit damn near everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I got some grief from the guide about how quick I was swinging my "short barrel" even though it didn't cost me any birds. Maybe it's just a paradigm thing.
    Definitely a paradigm thing. Faster swings mean shorter leads. I used to swing like a MF in skeet, and I had very short leads on stations 3, 4, and 5; compared to the "normal" people. But I would start behind, catch up, and swing through. It was the "wrong" way to do things, but I was high gun two years running in a backwoods skeet league with about 30 shooters. My mantra was "head down, gun moving, in front of the bird!". If I did that, I rarely missed.

I will say that when participating in classic activities like shotgunning I prefer to be a traditionalist. In this case, I just don't know what that is. Finally, I'm not really a fan of O/U's. I realize that's pretty much the go-to for clays games, but I've shot some higher end Beretta's, Ruger Red Labels, a Browning Citori and a Winchester 101. They just don't do anything for me.
    If it weren't for knowing you from your other posts here, I'd call you some kind of pinko commie...

There's a part of me that really wants to just bite the bullet and pick up a 28ga Benelli Ethos.
    Are the 28 ga receivers sized for the shell? If it's not a 20 ga receiver, it's awesome and deserves your attention. Of course, a case of 28 ga cost a lot more than a case of 12/20 ga. It takes more cash to be a shotgun hipster.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    As stated, no reason to reload (I do) unless you want something you can't buy easily or cheaply. I load 12g and 20g, just for skeet, with 3/4oz of #9, makes for a nice low recoil load. In reality it probably just means my math skills are lame.

This is one of those deals where it is probably hard to screw up, get a quality twelve or twenty and start busting clays and learning lessons.
    I've loaded 7/8 oz @1250-1280fps for about 16 years. As far as I'm concerned, it NEVER cost me a skeet bird, and it does pretty good on easy sporting clays courses. I'm an engineer, but I try to stay away from reloading math. It doesn't hurt that my daughters are 7 & 9 and are willing to help me reload...sometimes wearing literal Disney princess dresses.

Every time I looked at the price of a Benelli barrel, I just bought another Benelli.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I got a ton of great advice in this thread. You might find it helpful too.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-amp-Skeet-Gun

I bought a beretta a390 and couldn’t be happier.

A consideration is how much you might hunt around dogs. Nobody is hunting around my dog with a semi auto — either a side by or over under, with the action open until the dog has a bird on point.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

A couple thoughts on the Montefeltro 20ga:

Its a light gun, great for carrying while in the field, it swings fast also.

Surprisingly mine has more recoil than a M1 in 12ga. Recoil is more of a sudden punch instead of feeling the complete recoil cycle.
    Its apparent even with a 1-1/8oz 12ga vs. 20ga 1oz #7.5 target loads.

For a younger shooter or higher round count clays I would go to a gas operated 20ga.

User Tag List