Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Unusual or old Rimfires

Winchester 62...

My dad found it when we were cleaning out my uncle’s room after he died (2002 time frame). I cleaned the barrel, but didn’t know how to take it down back then. Sat in my father’s safe until a few weeks back, when he traded it and another long gun for an Ithaca 37 I had. Shortened to like a riot configuration and done in NP3 Plus. I used the original furniture to restock his Ducks Unlimited (what it originally was), and then made it into a home defense gun for my ex... which is why I wanted to get rid of it.

Took a good two weeks to get it apart. I originally thought the magazine tube was welded to the barrel. Removing grime and adding heat/Kroil eventually got it freed. Barrel is nice, and definitely has a lot of life left. Going to hold onto it for sentimental value, but also want to teach my kids (when I have some) on it... and eventually pass it down to them.

Was produced in June of 1931, which is odd because the 62 wasn’t produced until spring of 1932. .22 Short... and likely a Gallery Gun due to the amount of lead I got out of the bolt. While it isn’t pristine, both serial numbers match.

A guy on Rimfire Central suggested that the barrel was replaced, which would explain the 62 mark with an earlier production date... but proof marks suggest it was the same barrel that came with the receiver when it left Winchester. I do have a request in with Cody for a letter on it... which I hope might uncover some more info.

Definitely upped my C&R game the past few months... requested that letter, have one coming for a Colt Vest Pocket, and have another Colt request in for my 1917. Not getting one for my Oswald patterned Victory revolver, as it really isn’t that “historical” in the sense that a letter will be helpful. Planning on getting a S&W 1917 at the March Oaks, PA gun show... which I’ll request one from S&W for that, if I get one.

Finally getting around to posting my Mauser ES340b. These are absolutely wonderful target rifles for their day; I believe I dated this one to the early 1930s. I have no idea what loads the Germans used, but it especially likes CCI Stingers. This one in particular was a vet bring back, one of my grandfathers' closest friends. A few years before he passed, I was exceptionally lucky as he gifted this to me when I was in middle school. It is in great shape....it was super dirty when I got it, so my grandfather and I cleaned the metal with gasoline, stripped the stock with Star-10, and I spent a week or so hand-rubbing it with linseed oil.
    Name:  IMG_0922.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  94.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0926.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  82.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0928.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  83.9 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I do have a request in with Cody for a letter on it... which I hope might uncover some more info.

User Tag List