Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unusual or old Rimfires

I don't have a photo, but the first .22 I ever shot was a nice old Winchester 62 pump that was my grandfathers. I believe it was a carbine version. The stock was a bit loose, but otherwise it was in pretty good shape. I killed a jackrabbit on our first trip to the desert to shoot it, and I have been hooked on shooting and hunting since. I recall loading the tube full of CCI .22 Short hollow points and hunting red squirrels with it for the better part of an afternoon without reloading.

This was back when the local grocery store chain still sold ammunition and hunting licensees ... now they cater to granola chomping hippies.

I believe my uncle still has that old rifle, and a Winchester Model 12 in 16 gauge that was my first experience with shotguns and hunting birds. I should contact him, and see if I could take them out for a spin again. Maybe snag some photos.

Dang it, this thread has me scanning GB for reasonably priced older .22s that aren't a total basket case. Just when I'd gotten that old rimfire monkey off my back...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

When my Dad passed last year, I inherited a rifle Dad was given when my Mom's father passed away. I've been told it was supposed to get passed to me on my 18th bday, but who knows. Turns out, Granddad had a Winchester Model 63 .22LR. Serial number tells me it was made in 1955. Mint condition, as if it just came out of the box.

I've only shot it twice in my life. It's amazing to shoot but I have no plans to shoot it anymore. The gun is in perfect condition but I shudder to think how much parts for it might run (if they're even available).

Alright, here we go! At the risk of sounding like a Johnny Cash song, dad left when I was five, and being from upstate New York (and technically a Canadian citizen before that) he wasn't much of a gun guy. My mom's side of the family is as Southern as it comes. Unfortunately, not gentrified southern, though. More white trash (but not all the way to trailers and meth). Anyhow, dad left me a Marlin 60 that he got at Kmart and it came with a 4x Tasco and a sleeve of Minimags. That's not what this thread is about.

From my great grandfather on my Mom's side I inherited a Remington 511. 6 round magazine-fed bolt action. This is one of the earlier guns before they started grooving the receivers. At age 8 I killed my first squirrel with this rifle. As I grew, started working at a shop, and learned more about guns in general I became curious to it's accuracy potential. I have fired a one-hole group benched at 25yds using CCI Green Tag. Speaking of ammo, I have some old NIB Remington stuff I should take some pictures of to put with this. I'll see if I can grab that tonight. Anyhow, here's the 511:

Next is a Winchester 270. This is like the slide-action cousin of the 190 posted by Lost River earlier. This was a Christmas Gift from my best childhood friend and is precious to me. I keep it with a tube full of Colibri's and have popped many a squirrel and other backyard pest with it.

Finally is a Remington 121 Fieldmaster. I REALLY like this gun and maybe part of it is because of the time I've invested in it. It came to me from my aunt after my uncle passed. She seemed convinced that it belonged to my grandfather, but I have no recollection of him ever owning this gun or even a gun like this ( I have his Winchester 94 30/30 and spend a fair amount of time with the man and can recall every gun of his I ever laid eyes on). Anyway, it was given to me with the following in the bore. From what I can tell it's a brush wrapped with a patch, broken off rod, another piece of a different rod broken off (presumably trying to free the first one) and 3 or 4 slugs:

Unfortunately, the barrel is slightly bulged, presumably from the rounds fired into the obstructed bore, but the gun still shoots decently well. It came to me with an old Weaver straight tube (3x if memory serves) in a garbled mount with a hack job of tapping and re-tapping the barrel. The value of the gun is pretty well destroyed by this mod, unfortunately. I took of the un-usable scope and purchased what was supposed to be the correct rear sight from a guy on Ebay and it turns out the hole spacing was wrong. I modified the sight and installed it anyway. Another issue was that the blade was too tall/the notch was too shallow such that POI was 4-6in high. I used a small round file to deepen the notch and got it where I can at least keep them in the 10 ring of a B8 offhand at 25yds. I don't intend to use this gun often. It's still missing a couple screws on one side of the forend. However, I would like to bag a couple squirrels with it just to pay homage. It is a factory takedown gun, which I think is super cool. I check the SN with Remington and they told me it's a '37 model.

One thing I notice about these older guns is the longer barrels. I believe they're 24in and it seems to quiet the report, which makes for a more pleasant field experience.

That's all I've got for now. Somewhere on my bucket/pawn shop list is a Stevens favorite, Browning Auto 22, and any other old walnut/iron smallbore that strikes my fancy.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I taught my kids to shoot this summer using a 1935 Winchester model 69

Name:  20180901_133729.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  98.6 KB

.22 short, .22 long, and. 22 long rifle. I should have taken more pictures of the rifle itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I taught my kids to shoot this summer using a 1935 Winchester model 69

.22 short, .22 long, and. 22 long rifle. I should have taken more pictures of the rifle itself.
    What is the BFH for?
    Last edited by WDR; 11-06-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    What is the BFH for?
    Pounding the target into the ground

...and enforcing trigger discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post

...and enforcing trigger discipline.
    Harsh, but fair.

Name:  IMG_2352.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  50.7 KB Name:  IMG_2353.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  42.5 KB

Westpoint Model 121.

I bought this some time in the mid to late 1970's. I was working repair for the telephone company. I had just finished repairing a phone and as the homeowner and I walked back to my van, I noticed a rifle in two pieces hanging in the garage by the sling. When I asked what the story was, he told me it was his racoon hunting gun. His dog was chasing deer and he hit the dog to stop it. It was broken completely in two at the pistol grip. I asked if he wanted to sell it and when he said yes I offered $5 and he accepted. I took it home and with some wood putty and a long screw it was sort of OK. I had kids to teach how to shoot, so I took a hacksaw and cut some off the butt. Not pretty but the kids (second generation) still love to shoot it.

Site Supporter
    No photos, but the first .22 I shot was my grandfather's old 552 Speedmaster. I didn't know what it was at the time, but remember the weird looking shell deflector over the ejection port to this day.

Family things being family things, I doubt that I'll ever see the guns I was promised (I was supposed to inherit a Jetfire, the Speedmaster, a pre-64 Model 70 .243, and a 60's vintage Browning Auto-5). I still want one for reasons and may stumble my way into Gunbroker at some point.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List