Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unusual or old Rimfires

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I picked up a CZ 455 Shamrock Edition for a red-haired youngun'. I stumbled across them while wasting time over at Rimfire Central, and sent a note to Darrik at Whittaker Guns to see if he would or could get them to do a run for him. Got an answer back that it wasn't going to happen. Then it did.

Originally, 50 were made for the Irish market only. Then they made 150 each in .17 HMR and .22LR for the US market, basically because I knew the right guy to ask and wanted to get one for that little man. So it's like a factory all the way over in Czech Republic fired up and made 300 rifles just so he could have one. I really hope he appreciates that when he's old enough to receive it.

There's more to the story due to timing of major life events that makes it even more poignant, but that gets into things that are more private.

Not mine, but here's a pic of one:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...5&postcount=24
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Oh man, I’m a sucker for rare / odd .22s. Maybe because my first one was so odd. I worked all summer mowing grass, when I was 11, to earn enough money to buy a rifle.

$60 bucks later (yeah I only got $6 to mow neighbor’s yard), I was the proud owner of a Squires-Bingham 20 that was imported by K-Mart.

Lost the front sight on second trip to range, so my Dad put on a Tasco 4x20 scope. That scope is still there and shoots great to around 50 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I picked up a CZ 455 Shamrock Edition for a red-haired youngun'...
    Not mine, but here's a pic of one:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...5&postcount=24
    That's an awesome looking rifle! I had to quit hanging around RFC a long time ago. I got tired of hearing my wallet whimper...

When I was a kid, around the house and when I was old enough to be unsupervised at the deer lease but not old enough to be unsupervised with a real firearm I had my BB gun. Supervised shooting meant I got to use Dad's Winchester 190. I don't know how many bricks of CCI I put though that thing. I think it might need to get some fresh air the next range day I have.

One of these days I'd like to get a BSA Martini .22 or a similar club rifle compete with target sights and also set up for glass.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I visited a friend that lived out of town a ways. He had a nice shooting backstop berm built up behind his place, and a couple plate racks and a bunch of steel plates of various types. One time he says "want to shoot 22s? I have some." He opened the pantry closet in his kitchen, hed taken all the shelves out and it was lined on every wall with 22 rifles, maybe 30 of them. He said he just put the word out at work that he was looking for old 22 rifles, and they started turning up (union carpenter). I grabbed a few interesting ones and we shot them and some he had out already. I missed out when he moved and sold off the 22s.

When in Az a number of years ago I was tooling around on Forest Service dirt roads. I was getting closer to a town and paved road when i came upon a group of older geezer-ish dudes out shooting. They met up once a week and shot for a morning. Just rimfire for the most part. I shot with them a bit, I think I went back a time or two, and have wondered if they, or their protege have kept up the habit. They had some pretty nice hardware. I think there were several Winchester model 75s there regularly, among other interesting things.

I still have my teen years 513T and a prewar Walther single shot, possibly the Mk V, that was my first gunshow purchase.

A friend was showing Grandpa's Gun, a Winchester Model 56 .22 Short bolt action repeater.
    I did a little googling and we were amazed to find that it is an uncommon model, made only 1926-1929 and with a rare Stainless Steel barrel to boot.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 11-04-2018 at 10:44 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Not sure how old or unusual these are, but the first gun I ever shot was a Marlin Glenfield bolt action .22. Another earlier experience was with a Mossberg model 144 bolt action with a rear aperture sight and hooded front sight with various post and aperture inserts. My dad had competed with the Mossberg as a teenager, and I shot the same rifle as a teenager on a local rifle club. My daughter is now learning to shoot the Marlin, and will try out the Mossberg at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

When I get home I'll try to get a picture of my excellent-to-near mint condition Mauser Es340b. WWII bring back from a late family friend.

I also have a Stevens "Little Scout" rolling block .22 that is unserviceable and falling apart, so that's not likely worthy for pictures.

If anyone has an old Mauser that they need to research, let me know. I have a copy of the highly sought-after "Mauser Smallbores" book by Jon Speed. No, you can't borrow it, but I'm happy to do some reading
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    For many years as a pre-teen and teenager, I competed in NRA 50ft smallbore with a club-owned Martini-Henry Cadet that had been heavily worked over with a .22LR bull barrel and a wonderful stock and peep sights. Since I was the only left-eyed kid at the time, I got dibs on that rifle while everyone else competed with a mix of Model 52's and similar bolt actions. I coveted that thing and I loved having had the opportunity to put some countless thousands of rounds of Eley through it over many happy years and range trips with my Dad.

Around 10 years ago the club we were members of sold off their old rifles to fund new ones, but we'd found out too late and missed out. We were told that it was the very first rifle that sold and a small bidding war occurred before a deal was made. I didn't find that the least bit surprising. Sadly, we don't have so much as a single picture of me with that rifle, or that rifle itself. But I'd know it on sight and I still troll Gunbroker for Martini Cadets just in case it ever pops up someday.

Now you're a-speaking my language...

I'll be back again sometime soon, but in the meantime here is a pic of my Remmy 24. Rapidly closing in on being a century old, it still gets no love from WA state's initiative process: total "assault rifle..."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

A little more Ford Pinto! Winchester 190 with 3/4 inch scope. Belonged to my wife's grandfather. Shoots well but the scope has a wandering zero.

Name:  P8170160.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  68.6 KB
    Last edited by vaspence; 11-05-2018 at 04:05 PM.

User Tag List