Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Performance of .357 Magnum JHP when fired from a lever action gun

Site Supporter
    I always ran 158gr JSP ammo in my Marlin .357 lever guns. It worked great on varmints. I doubt pistol caliber hollow points would hold together at those velocities unless the bullet is specifically designed for it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use .357 Magnum hollow points for large game like deer.

Federal has a couple of 180 grain loads, one using the Swift A-Frame bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Federal has a couple of 180 grain loads, one using the Swift A-Frame bullet.
    Any feedback as to whether these feed well in .357 leverguns or are they too long?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I feel this application is one where an all-copper bullet would really shine. Something like this 140gr Barnes XPB:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=287

1500 or so from a pistol and 1950 from a rifle

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Would like a Browning 92 carbine or Winchester 73 trapper size carbine in 357 one day. Loaded with ultra-light round ball loads in event of an ammo shortage, it would be cheaper than shooting 22s at shortage prices and quiet for yard or inside use if desired. I have several bullet moulds in 38 size, from round ball up.
    At one point, I read up on the B92 in .357. General consensus is that it is unlikely to feed .38SPL cartridges well. Marlin 1894s may or may not feed them or have issues with certain bullets, but generally can be made to do so reliably even if needing a bit of work. So if that's important to you, Marlins might be preferred. No first-hand experience with the B92, that's just the information I found that kept me from spending money on a Browning habit in that particular area.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Any feedback as to whether these feed well in .357 leverguns or are they too long?
    As noted above, lever guns are known for having issues with cartridges that are too short. I would expect any cartridge within SAAMI length specs should be OK. Pull up the photos on Federal's site, the loaded rounds all look pretty standard.

Generally, the heavier bullet will fill more of the case rather than extending farther out the front. They reduce the internal volume of the case, which is why powder charges for heavier bullets are smaller than for lighter bullets to reach the same pressure in the same case. The pistol bullets don't have the long-skinny ogive problem that long-range heavy bullets run into causing problems with magazine length.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-05-2018 at 06:01 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    At one point, I read up on the B92 in .357. General consensus is that it is unlikely to feed .38SPL cartridges well. Marlin 1894s may or may not feed them or have issues with certain bullets, but generally can be made to do so reliably even if needing a bit of work. So if that's important to you, Marlins might be preferred. No first-hand experience with the B92, that's just the information I found that kept me from spending money on a Browning habit in that particular area.

As noted above, lever guns are known for having issues with cartridges that are too short. I would expect any cartridge within SAAMI length specs should be OK. Pull up the photos on Federal's site, the loaded rounds all look pretty standard.

Generally, the heavier bullet will fill more of the case rather than extending farther out the front. They reduce the internal volume of the case, which is why powder charges for heavier bullets are smaller than for lighter bullets to reach the same pressure in the same case. The pistol bullets don't have the long-skinny ogive problem that long-range heavy bullets run into causing problems with magazine length.
    Thanks! My two 92 clones and 1894 took some finessing to feed .38s but I never tried 180s.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Thanks! My two 92 clones and 1894 took some finessing to feed .38s but I never tried 180s.
    Are your 92 clones Brownings, or something else?

Chiappas are spendy, but the .44RM Alaskan I handled I handled at an LGS was slick enough it might actually be worth it. I kinda want one of these:

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/p/id...down-Rifle.php
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Im curious what the source of the info was, and exactly what the issue was. Its quite possible that an individual example of any type may or may not feed 38 spls, but its not difficult to tune the cartridge stop on 92s to help. It seems to be individual guns that do or dont feed 38s spls or 44 spls from what I can gather. One other thing, sometimes shorter cartridges can pop up through the guides when run fast since they arent held to the back of the carrier and the rim can start coming up through the rim slots in the cartridge guides in some guns. This varies with individual guns I believe. Theres things that can be done, also just using rounds with longer noses to keep the cartridge on the carrier (lifter) in its proper place until feeding into the chamber. Ive shot 44 spls in my 44 92, they worked fine, but some were the old RN factory loads with longish nose, and some Lyman 429421 bullets, which are too long in magnum cases, but are perfect in spl cases. The 92 action can be tuned to use slightly longer OAL loads (cutting the cartridge stop nub on the carrier back, and probably cutting the lower edge of the ejector back a little for clearance), like the Lyman bullets in magnum cases, but most just find it simpler to use loads that work easier.

Its been several years since I was looking at this stuff, I may be mis-remembering some of the particulars. Steve of Steves Gunz has mentioned some makes have better cartridge guides, or easier to tune.

Theres also a little trick to getting loads with fat nosed bullets to feed.

Most 357 factory loads are close to common spec for OAL, as many pistols have somewhat short cylinders. I dont have examples to check, but think you are correct that heavier 357 bullets are seated deeper to maintain proper OAL.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-05-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Are your 92 clones Brownings, or something else?

Chiappas are spendy, but the .44RM Alaskan I handled I handled at an LGS was slick enough it might actually be worth it. I kinda want one of these:

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/p/id...down-Rifle.php
    Do those Chiappas have a pretty good reputation? I mean for that money and all. I could stand the price if it was top shelf quality.

Site Supporter
    Do those Chiappas have a pretty good reputation? I mean for that money and all. I could stand the price if it was top shelf quality.
    I have the Chiappa 1892 Skinner Carbine in 38/357: https://www.chiappafirearms.com/p/id...er-Carbine.php. It ran great for about 200 rounds. Then the lever became "stiff". I sent it back to Chiappa for warranty repair. The repair was handled quickly and it's back to running very smoothly again. The sights are excellent. A close friend has the equivalent Henry and it's a great shooter. Best, ELN.

User Tag List