Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK P30 with RDS...

HK P30 with RDS...

So Mark H is a genius, and I should be getting my slide back tomorrow. I've got 250 rounds of PMC and 250 rounds of 147 grain HSTs I'll be putting through it tomorrow. Anyway, you can find some photos that Mark took while working on it at the following link. I just need to come up with a cool name for it now. http://flic.kr/s/aHsjxxK1Pv
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

On a side note if someone could post some of the images directly into the thread I'd appreciate it. I'm on my phone and at a dinner.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

interesting

And to think I waited fucking 4 months for Heinies when I could have swung with this...

Looks sweet. Any idea if this can be done with an RMR?

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    And to think I waited fucking 4 months for Heinies when I could have swung with this...

Looks sweet. Any idea if this can be done with an RMR?
    Turn around time was about 7 days is the best part. RMR would require an adaptor plate and wouldn't be very aesthetically pleasing. Ask Mark though.
    J.M. Johnston

John, that's correct. I can probably get an RMR on the slide but it will require an adapter plate and due to the additional width will be like a 1911 installation.

Also, I'd like to thank John for offering up his P30 for me to work with.
    This being the first time installing a RDS on this model slide it was 'process development' exercise and some further refinement is certainly in order.

Particularly with regards to the suppressor sights.

The front sight is grafted together to provide something in terms of BUIS, but a proper factory suppressor sight needs to be selected and the rear sight set to the proper height.
    There is one available from HK that is 6.9mm high (IIRC the original sight was 6.3mm) but it may be slightly short for a good co-witness and the other Ameriglo I found seems a bit tall at 10.5mm.

The 'just right' sight (assuming that this fits the P30 dovetail) at 8.9mm is discontinued at Ameriglo but is still in stock at another places (topgunsupply).
    FFL Type 01

"I have learned that wisdom can be as simple as substituting facts for assumptions."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Housel View Post
    John, that's correct. I can probably get an RMR on the slide but it will require an adapter plate and due to the additional width will be like a 1911 installation.

Also, I'd like to thank John for offering up his P30 for me to work with.
    This being the first time installing a RDS on this model slide it was 'process development' exercise and some further refinement is certainly in order.

Particularly with regards to the suppressor sights.

The front sight is grafted together to provide something in terms of BUIS, but a proper factory suppressor sight needs to be selected and the rear sight set to the proper height.
    There is one available from HK that is 6.9mm high (IIRC the original sight was 6.3mm) but it may be slightly short for a good co-witness and the other Ameriglo I found seems a bit tall at 10.5mm.

The 'just right' sight (assuming that this fits the P30 dovetail) at 8.9mm is discontinued at Ameriglo but is still in stock at another places (topgunsupply).
    It'll do for now. On a side note I'm camped out in front of the post office waiting for the express mail to show up.
    J.M. Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    It'll do for now. On a side note I'm camped out in front of the post office waiting for the express mail to show up.
    Too funny!
    FFL Type 01

"I have learned that wisdom can be as simple as substituting facts for assumptions."

It's great to see this done and off to range as soon as it's in your grubby hands i suppose?

Great job Mark, can't wait to see it perform. Video or didn't happen!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    So Mark H is a genius, and I should be getting my slide back tomorrow. I've got 250 rounds of PMC and 250 rounds of 147 grain HSTs I'll be putting through it tomorrow. Anyway, you can find some photos that Mark took while working on it at the following link. I just need to come up with a cool name for it now. http://flic.kr/s/aHsjxxK1Pv
    I hardly think so.

I think that my engineering background and my formal gunsmith training that focused on customization and modification as a fundamental part of the term "Gunsmithing" are more the reality.
    Because at this time I have no CNC experience (it's in the works), I can't look at these as just a G-Code exercise as perhaps some might.
    Due to the various parts fabrication and modifications this sort of installation doesn't lend itself to the "slap in in the CNC and write some code approach" as many other installations might.

Anyway, it will remain to be seen how well this all works out once we get a range report.
    FFL Type 01

User Tag List