Thread: XS big dot fell off

XS big dot fell off

I had my new xs tritium big dot fall off my mossberg 590 after shooting a few slugs. I believe I installed it correctly. I prepped the barrel by cleaning it with alcohol pads, changed my bead sight out with the supplied one from xs, used original jb weld and allowed it to cure.

I'd like to maybe buy another one, since I lost the one that fell off, but what should I do differently so it stays on?
    The only thing I could think of was I shot it about 4 days after installing it, but jb weld says it's fully cured after 24 hours

Thanks for any help

My favorite shotgun mechanic uses an aircraft adhesive, and I've never lost any of the half-dozen Big Dots he has installed for me. I will ask him what he uses and let you know.

Site Supporter
    When I attached a Big Dot to my 870 bead barrel, I roughed up the contact surfaces a bit with sandpaper before cleaning and applying the JB Weld. My theory in doing so was that by so scoring the surfaces, I was increasing surface area for the adhesive to do its thing.

Over ten years and probably at least a thousand rounds of buckshot later, the Big Dot is still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Was there any JB Weld left behind on the barrel? If not, clean thoroughly with a stream of brake cleaner first.

If the sight flew off and left much of the JB Weld behind, then adhesion was lost on the sight. In any case, use brake cleaner on a Q-tip to clean the underside of the sight.

Apply the JB Weld liberally so it squeezes out when you push the sight into place. Use toothpicks and finish up with WD-40 on cleaning patches to clean off the excess JB Weld before it begins to set.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    My favorite shotgun mechanic uses an aircraft adhesive, and I've never lost any of the half-dozen Big Dots he has installed for me. I will ask him what he uses and let you know.
    Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    When I attached a Big Dot to my 870 bead barrel, I roughed up the contact surfaces a bit with sandpaper before cleaning and applying the JB Weld. My theory in doing so was that by so scoring the surfaces, I was increasing surface area for the adhesive to do its thing.

Over ten years and probably at least a thousand rounds of buckshot later, the Big Dot is still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I thought of doing the same if I try another one, it definitely can't hurt to have more for the jb weld to adhere to, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Was there any JB Weld left behind on the barrel? If not, clean thoroughly with a stream of brake cleaner first.

If the sight flew off and left much of the JB Weld behind, then adhesion was lost on the sight. In any case, use brake cleaner on a Q-tip to clean the underside of the sight.

Apply the JB Weld liberally so it squeezes out when you push the sight into place. Use toothpicks and finish up with WD-40 on cleaning patches to clean off the excess JB Weld before it begins to set.
    There was no jb weld left on the barrel, just a light shadow of the rectangle of the sight. When I installed it I put enough on that it came out of all 4 sides, than I cleaned it up with toothpicks and a tips.

I know a lot of guys who have had great luck with the xs big dot and jb weld, so I'm really confused as to why mine didn't take.
    Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCountry View Post
    There was no jb weld left on the barrel, just a light shadow of the rectangle of the sight.
    There was something left on the barrel that acted like a release agent. Alcohol wipes did not remove whatever it was, but brake cleaner* will.

*Beware, it's nasty stuff. Use in a well ventilated area and avoid inhaling while spraying it.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 11-04-2018 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    There was something left on the barrel that acted like a release agent. Alcohol wipes did not remove whatever it was, but brake cleaner* will.

*Beware, it's nasty stuff. Use in a well ventilated area and avoid inhaling while spraying it.
    I'll give that a try. I agree there must have been something on the barrel since it didn't leave any jb weld behind. Thanks for the tip

Quick update - after contacting xs sights they are shipping out a new sight, great customer service

User Tag List