Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have a Dan Wesson 357 Magnum (715). Need a new frame, any leads?

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Where would you normally expect the frame to fail from hot loads?

That is quite a failure, and regardless of the cause, I would suspect that the gun saw some serious abuse before your father acquired it. If this is at all ammo related, I would also be concerned about the condition of the cylinder.
    From hot loads, assuming the cylinder isn't bulged or split from a round detonating (which usually also will bulge or split the top-strap), I would expect to see a revolver like a Dan Wesson .357 fail in the forcing cone / crane area. I've seen pictures of several revolvers that have burst their cylinders from overloads, but none had that kind of damage to the rear of the gun.
    Last edited by oregon45; 11-09-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    From hot loads, assuming the cylinder isn't bulged or split from a round detonating (which usually also will bulge or split the top-strap), I would expect to see a revolver like a Dan Wesson .357 fail in the forcing cone / crane area. I've seen pictures of several revolvers that have burst their cylinders from overloads, but none had that kind of damage to the rear of the gun.
    Agreed. That's quite a failure. I suspect Dan Wesson will refuse to reuse any of the parts due to any possible liability. The gun is done.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I'm reasonably sure DW revolvers used cast frames. That looks like something that failed due to a casting flaw to me, but that doesn't help you get it fixed....
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List